The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: largest vacuum tube ever made  (Read 37808 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »

What is the lragest tube ever made? I been wondering about this  for a while. I can't seem to find any thing anywhere.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ab3al
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »

donnt know what the rating was but i know it  can be found between w8nb ears
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:14 AM »

The largest tubes that I'm aware of were made by Eimac. I don't have the type number but they made triodes and tetrodes that had a plate dissipation of one million watts. I did a calculation one time on how large a diesel generator set would have to be to run just one of these tubes. It turns out that it would require something on the order of 4600 horse power to do the job. This is just from memory and perhaps my estimates are incorrect.   

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »

One of the most impressive sights I've seen was the VOA transmitter in Tinang, Philippines.  Their power plant was, as I recall, four GM 6-45 V-12 locomotive engines, about 2000 HP each.

It was almost 20 years ago but as I recall the transmitters were a mixture of TMC linear and COntinental plate modulated, probably 100KW.  There was a 20'X20' room at the end of the hallway for the spare tubes, stored in huge crates.  A chainfall and rail system along the ceiling allowed for hoisting the tube out of its crate and sliding it to the transmitter being re-tubed.  Never saw the actual tubes but by the size of the crates and the fact they needed a chain hoist to lift 'em, they were obviously strapping indeed.

The managers lived in Manila and commuted to/from Tinang via Cessna everyday, as Tinang at that time was a hotbed of Communist insurgency activity.  One time the Commies put a satchel charge on the base of one of the antennas; kind of blew the concret base to hell but the antenna never fell.  The dirt runway was a real white knuckler, with antennas at one end to clear and trees at the other.  The pilot ran that engine up to max takeoff as far back as he could on the runway then released the brakes for the takeoff run.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »

The dirt runway was a real white knuckler, with antennas at one end to clear and trees at the other.  The pilot ran that engine up to max takeoff as far back as he could on the runway then released the brakes for the takeoff run.

I think the biggest GLASS radiation-cooled tube ever mass produced was the 2000T. (2KW diss) Not sure about the external anus tubes though.

Johnny - your story reminds me of a time when I bought a Piper Arrow airplane. There we were, five of us loaded in the Arrow with the nutcase salesman/owner getting reading for take-off. It was a short runway.  He put the motor to full power, no flaps, and accelerated down the runway as he forced and held the nose down with the yoke. We were well past normal take-off speed. Then he jacked on the flaps full lift, slammed back the yoke and we sprung up like a jack-in-the-box into the air.  Shocked Shocked

My flight instructor looked at me in horror and whispered, "don't YOU ever do a stunt like that!"   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »

you want to use a jet motor. The 300 HP starter I was working on runs .2 to .3 megawatt to spin up a jet that drives a generator to around 60 megawatts if I remember.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »

You might peruse the handbooks for the RCA 6949.  Pretty tough job for high power...

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »

Here's one:

And, here's a 5 foot high tube from WLW:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kb3ouk

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »

I think I remember seeing a picture similar to the ones in the picture from WLW. The other tube looks like the kind used in XERA's 500,000 watt transmitter.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Dave KA2J
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »

Here's Terry W2PFY with the largest tube ever made.  Rochester NY Hamfest 2004!

* DSCN1788.JPG (636.06 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 2188 times.)

Dave KA2J
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »

Pete,

Do you think that maid would be available to come and dust off my tubes?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »

What is the lragest tube ever made? I been wondering about this  for a while. I can't seem to find any thing anywhere.
Shelby KB3OUK

This web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube says that the largest tube currently manufactured is the water/air cooled Eimac 8974.  Plate dissipation 1500 kw.

The data sheet is here http://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/78/8974.pdf

--- Post No Bills ---
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

Johnny - your story reminds me of a time when I bought a Piper Arrow airplane. There we were, five of us loaded in the Arrow with the nutcase salesman/owner getting reading for take-off. It was a short runway.  He put the motor to full power, no flaps, and accelerated down the runway as he forced and held the nose down with the yoke. We were well past normal take-off speed. Then he jacked on the flaps full lift, slammed back the yoke and we sprung up like a jack-in-the-box into the air.  Shocked Shocked

My flight instructor looked at me in horror and whispered, "don't YOU ever do a stunt like that!"   Grin

T

Reminds me of the sequence in "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" where they were training to take B-25s off an aircraft carrier  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »

Yes, that and Midway are good flicks to watch after Tora Tora Tora
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »

I don't know if this is the biggest tube or not but here are a couple of photos
of the RF area where I work.  The second one is the housing for one of our
water cooled Burle Triodes, the 7835.  We use these tubes to generate the
RF field for our linear accelerator to start the acceleration of protons to our
particle collider, at Fermilab in Batavia, IL.  Each one puts out roughly 5 Mw
of RF at 201 MHz to a 9 inch rigid line exiting the back.    It is driven via the 3
inch rigid line you see at the top of the photo coming down.    It is class C and
pulses at about 15 per second.

the first photo is a better shot of the 9 inch rigid line exiting the
tube enclosure.  just out of sight to the right is an elbow that takes
the feedline down to the linear accelerator on the floor below.

Rob / K5UJ

* 9inchrigid.jpg (712.29 KB, 1024x1280 - viewed 2215 times.)

* Burle7835.jpg (222.88 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 14652 times.)

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »

Do Klystrons count as tubes?  I was at WTIC channel 61 a number of years ago to their transmitter site. TIC had, if I remember correctly 5 klystrons in a row each at about 6 feet tall. Tons of plumbing to the  antenna. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

we need to get Gene W5CBS to fill us in on the sw tx he engineered in Palau .... the tube had a full time vac pump on it and the filaments could be unbolted and replaced ... said could do visual inspection with the fils out ... guess that qualifies as STRAP ...73 .... John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM »

Fun reading on the largest.

Were nuvistors the smallest tubes ever made?
Did anyone ever make a tube as small as, say, a grain of wheat bulb?

RICK  *W3RSW*
kb3ouk

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »

I thought I remembered seeing a picture of some tube used by the air force that looked like a fuse(the kind with metal caps on both ends) but it wasn't as big around as a fuse is.
Shelby KB3OUK

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »

- maybe a tube for a proximity fuse on a bomb or shell? 
have to take high "G's."  Smaller is better from a material, dimensional, volume/inverse cube effect, etc. where shock and G's are paramount.

...what a mouthful...  Grin    - you know what I mean.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »

Two different sub-miniature tubes, and Nuvistor---The smallest vacuum tube(invented by RCA in 1959)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kb3ouk

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »

Something else I wondered: What would you be able to replace a nuvistor with if one went bad?

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »

Something else I wondered: What would you be able to replace a nuvistor with if one went bad?

You could check Ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Nuvistor&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=Nuvistor&_oexkw=&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Where I found 16 listings in auctions and 34 listing in stores for Nuvistors including a couple of homebrew amps and such.  Prices in the auction ran in the $10-15.00 range.

Plenty of room to experiment!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
kb3ouk

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »

Found a thing on there that looks like a transmitter of some sort, they say it's an amp, but I don't think so cause it has a crystal socket on top and an rca connector which may be for a mic input. How did we go from talking about the largest of tubes to the smallest?  Grin

Barrie
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 06:06:54 PM »

How did we go from talking about the largest of tubes to the smallest? 

'Cause I want to build a transmitter with the world's smallest tube driving the worlds largest GLASS transmitting tube.

As with all of my projects, I'm only missing a few parts:  The tubes and the money.

73, Barrie, W7ALW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015