The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:50:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Gotta Break a Few Eggs...  (Read 6298 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: April 18, 2009, 09:29:45 AM »

Or in this case, 2x4s. Some shots of the garage closet removed to enlarge the radio space. Removing the door casing probably took the most time. Due to a lack of tools that are still up north, it was all done with a household hammer and a couple screwdrivers.

* Closet1.JPG (371.88 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 533 times.)

* Closet2.JPG (387.77 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 556 times.)

* Closet3.JPG (377.9 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 544 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »

Final (for now) result with a space heater moved in and glowing...

* Closet4.JPG (363.52 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 511 times.)

* xmtr2.JPG (389.77 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 503 times.)

* xmtr4.JPG (411.86 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 548 times.)

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »

In picture 2 I thought you had a voting machine in there...

...seems a shame to waste all those good radios on a QTH down in 4-land!!  Tongue

Now all you need is a FB OM large solid copper knife switch affixed either to a joist above, or on a wall!!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »

It probably won't be long before he is hanging out with the guys on 78, suppose?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »

...seems a shame to waste all those good radios on a QTH down in 4-land!!  Tongue

We need a few more strapping AM signals from down here to reinforce the AM Fact.

But I wish somebody else had all the ticks, poison ivy, tornadoes, QRN and summer humidity.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

on the contrary, Todd is a most excellent addition to the Southern Front against ignorant jamming slopbukits. With the KW1 he will be in their earholes all day and night.  Cool I cant wait.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

Hey Todd,
When you insulate the walls check out R25 unfaced insulation. This is used as attic insulation and comes in rolls. It fits in well between 2X6 lumber and better than R19 faced. I used R25 in the new QTH with 1 inch poylisocyanurate and an air gap to give me over R35 in the walls.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »

Be careful with the installation of wall insulation.  I used fibreglass batting in one of my walls, with no waterproof wrap between the siding and insulation.  I very quickly started having moisture and mildew problems with that wall.  Once I even saw a mushroom growing out of the wood siding, and much of the wood has rotted.  I'm not exactly sure how the water gets inside, but I'm going to have to replace a lot of the wooden siding boards.  I plan to simply rip out the insulation since it is only in one section of wall and has little effect on the overall heating and cooling efficiency of the building.

When I insulated one of the walls of the house, I used Ty-Par house wrap between the insulation and exterior siding, and made sure there was a small air gap between the wrap and the siding boards to allow for ventilation behind the wooden boards.  So far no signs of mildew or rot.

I think what is happening is that water leaks between the siding boards during rain storms, and the insulation becomes damp and holds enough moisture to cause the exterior boards to rot.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »

Now you gotta find some of that old buzzard knotty pine interior paneling for that "up nort' t' da lake" look  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »

Now you gotta find some of that old buzzard knotty pine interior paneling for that "up nort' t' da lake" look  Grin

Ya, was gonna use dem big plywood sheets, so's to hang stuff from it later ya know. Could just shellac it, b'golly!

Always loved the old bead board look and had figured to use that for walls and ceiling in the purpose-built radio building (someday). Would make running balanced feeders across the ceiling quite easy.

Don, I wonder if your moisture problem could be wicking out humidity and such from inside the building due to the lack of a vapor barrier? I'm thinking about using that thick foam board with the foil covering in the walls, and sealing around things with expanding foam. Sounds like I'd better talk to someone who knows that they're doing first.

Now all you need is a FB OM large solid copper knife switch affixed either to a joist above, or on a wall!!!

The only shame is that I didn't do it sooner. Aside from the usual nasty climate up there are the backsliding issues economically, politically, financially, and so on. I'm not sure that 4 Land 'deserves' to have to put up with me and my non-green radios, but I am dead certain that the northeast, and VT in particular, doesn't deserve anymore of my money. Once the house up there sells or gets struck by lightning, a landslide, whatever - I'll finally be free of it. It's not the place that I grew up in, more of a foreign, 'European' country rapidly filling with citiots.

I got the knife switch covered, though. Wink

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »

No, the insulation came with a layer of tar paper barrier to face the inside wall.  Besides, there is no plumbing, cooking or anything else inside the building to generate moisture.  I have stuck my finger up through an opening in the exterior siding and the insulation feels damp after a rainy spell.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015