The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:21:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: interesting bird 43  (Read 3511 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:10:04 PM »

was at the York PA hamfester early this AM. small but enough stuff there to make it worth the trip. JN pointed out a good deal on a Bird 43 which I obtained - at another table there was a guy selling stuff and he had another 43 which he wanted 150 for.

I paid no attn to it since I had just gotten mine with the leather case for 100. But this bird 43 was interesting for 2 reasons, the guy said it was out of W3CDC's estate, (Uncle Ed is still using his transmitter I think) and the serial number on it was #499. it had a large thick meter pointer instead of the 'hairline' pointer I've seen on every other 43.

I dont know what the serials are up to now on new ones, but to know this one was one of the first 500 bird 43's to be made was kinda cool. It was in good shape too, with the original manual. never know what you will find.

now I need some bird slugs.  Roll Eyes
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »

As for me I got a HQ-145X (which has a little crystal socket on the bottom of the front panel) and TNX to Mark K3MSB for a good deal on a very nice HT-32 I bought for Ken K6FC.  Ken works for me part time and I had him in the office last week, sending him onward to the Middle East, and he asked me to keep an eye peeled for a HT-32 at NEARfest.  Well Mark's was too nice to pass up...

Nice seeing you, Rob, and Mark there, Tim!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »

like wise johnny, thanks for looking out for me. a 43 was a  much needed item. will go FB with my Termalines. Shop for slugs time now.  Angry

I saw that HT32 it was super clean. I had a $100 limit on spending and I got the most needed  thing I could afford.  Smiley
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »

Hey Timmy, you can be whirl wide wid dem Bird Watts now!! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »

Some of the Bird Slugs will cost you almost what you paid for the "Big Bird".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »

yeah, I know.  Lips sealed

I'm just going to get 1 slug for now, either a 250 or a 500.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »

I find 99% of the time I have the 1KW slug in the hole.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »

from a Bird dealer on the web:

I special ordered this element for a 27MHz client...  He insisted it was reading low so I ordered a replacement He then said the replacement was also reading low....compaired to his DOZY
WELL DUH..

Checked as accurate and returned to me from the factory.

I can't sell it as new but it very close

this was a 10KW slug BTW  Tongue Cool Roll Eyes    swing monkee
WB2YGF
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »

was at the York PA hamfester early this AM. small but enough stuff there to make it worth the trip. JN pointed out a good deal on a Bird 43 which I obtained - at another table there was a guy selling stuff and he had another 43 which he wanted 150 for.
I think that was the table where I picked up 2 Alpha Delta Delta-4C coax switch consoles.  Nicely made stuff.  Sorry I missed you Derb.  I think I got there after you had already left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015