The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Station Licenses  (Read 21071 times)
KA1ZGC
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

By some standards of "seasoned" amateurs, you might be considered a neophyte in the amateur radio hobby since you have been only licensed since 1991 which is probably why the vast majority of the ham population is older than you.

So how does this show some big influx of kids into the hobby? It shows me the exact opposite. You're making my point.

I may have been "only licensed since 1991", but this is 2009, Pete. Do the math. I'll qualify for QCWA in just a few years. My license is old enough to vote, and many hams much older than me have much newer callsigns.

By the way, what in the name of Armstrong's elbow does the age of my license have to do with my age?

But, as I pointed out in the initial post, the numbers for "total licensed"  are moving in a positive direction. Whether it's because of school kids or "older then dirt" people, the numbers are positive, and that's a good thing.

As quite a few of us have pointed out in numerous posts, the total number of licenses issued has no correlation whatsoever to the number of amateur operators, therefore the trend in licenses has no correlation to the trend in licensed people. You and the League might like to spin it that way, but we know better.

No amount of minimizing my tenure changes that.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 01:58:13 AM »

[Actually, IIRC, the WD's didn't start til the late 1970's.  Once the original WB's were exhausted, they started re-issuing both WA's and WB's.  I got a re-issued WB in 1974 and a friend got a re-issued WA about the same time.  My uncle (SK) got WD2AGX a few years later.

Wasn't it sometime in the late 70's that the FCC discontinued the sequential W-K-WA-WB-WD prefixes and restructured the callsign system, and added N and A prefixes under the extremely complex callsign more-or-less by operator class system we have now?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB2YGF
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »

[Actually, IIRC, the WD's didn't start til the late 1970's.  Once the original WB's were exhausted, they started re-issuing both WA's and WB's.  I got a re-issued WB in 1974 and a friend got a re-issued WA about the same time.  My uncle (SK) got WD2AGY a few years later.

Wasn't it sometime in the late 70's that the FCC discontinued the sequential W-K-WA-WB-WD prefixes and restructured the callsign system, and added N and A prefixes under the extremely complex callsign more-or-less by operator class system we have now?
Yes.  We went from WD's to KA's. etc. That's why we never made it past the WD2A's. (There are only 66 now in existence.) 4-land made it to the WD4S's so perhaps 4-land started with the WD's in the mid 70's? 
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »

I wonder who has WD40?

These are the good old days of AM
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 11:31:52 PM »

The lucky winner is:   

WD4O

DENNIS B WALDRON

3851 NATIONS DR

DOUGLASVILLE, GA 30135

USA

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WB3LEQ

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »

I have attended hamfests since 1976.  Over the years I have also noticed the majoruty of hamfest attendance has shifted from middle aged folks with their children to senior citizens.  The fewer middle age folks there are usually selling the equipment of a deceased family member. I wonder how long it will be before we have an ARRL table setting next to an AARP table?

I recently had the opportunity to talk with my cousin who once lived a quarter mile from here.  We discovered ham radio together back in the early 60's.  I asked him if he had any residual interest in getting involved in ham radio.  His answer was "What ever for?"  He has a computer with email, a cell phone, and doesn't have to mess around with getting a license, buying radio equipment, and anyone anywhere on the planet can instantly get in contact with him.

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »

That's why getting on ham radio "just to talk" is so outlandishly boring.  But we have been lead by the  nose from being a technically oriented endeavour to becoming a "communicators' hobby".

Working with unexpected vagaries of propagation and building/modifying/restoring equipment for the desired performance is part of the magic of radio.  Comparing that to "talking" on the phone or using the internet would be like comparing shopping for meat, fish and vegetables at the supermarket to hunting, fishing and home gardening.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »

Excellent point. Talking around the world now is passe. Hit a button on your cell phone and it's done. Amateur radio can only differentiate itself by being technical and emphasizing the learning and hands-on aspect. This won't appeal to many, but those it does attract should make solid amateur radio ops that will stick with the hobby rather than treating it like another short-lived comms fad (e.g. chat rooms, ICQ, AIM, Skype, Twitter, etc).

That's why getting on ham radio "just to talk" is so outlandishly boring.  But we have been lead by the  nose from being a technically oriented endeavour to becoming a "communicators' hobby".
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »

Working with unexpected vagaries of propagation and building/modifying/restoring equipment for the desired performance is part of the magic of radio.  Comparing that to "talking" on the phone or using the internet would be like comparing shopping for meat, fish and vegetables at the supermarket to hunting, fishing and home gardening.

Hey, I like shopping for meat, fish, and vegetables. Hunting and fishing to me are in the same category as watching people play golf. I have been, at times, persuaded to do some home gardening.

Each year, the day before the Dayton Hamvention officially starts, there are all day sessions in a downtown hotel devoted to nothing but contesting. And, each year, it gets bigger to the point of standing room only. Contesting is becoming/has become a big part of amateur radio. Several manufacturers even tout some of their new editions as "contest rigs".  Having some technical skills are important in this arena, but communication skills and operating perseverance probably have the edge.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »

Contesting has little to do with communicating. As stupid as I find most contests, those at the top of the heap are very technical, generally with an oustanding understanding and implementation of antennas, station layout, receiver design and amplifier capabilities. Most also understand and utilize the propagation characteristics of each band involved.

Of course there a plenty that just get on with a piss poor station and scream CQ Contest into their mic, but to devolve contests into a communications event eliminates most of their value.

Hey, I like shopping for meat, fish, and vegetables. Hunting and fishing to me are in the same category as watching people play golf. I have been, at times, persuaded to do some home gardening.

Each year, the day before the Dayton Hamvention officially starts, there are all day sessions in a downtown hotel devoted to nothing but contesting. And, each year, it gets bigger to the point of standing room only. Contesting is becoming/has become a big part of amateur radio. Several manufacturers even tout some of their new editions as "contest rigs".  Having some technical skills are important in this arena, but communication skills and operating perseverance probably have the edge.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »

Lets not forget "RadioSport" contesting. A kind of Olympics where you (yes you !) can follow in the footsteps of Mark Spitz and Carl Lewis and lead your country to glory.   Wink

--- Post No Bills ---
WB2YGF
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »

Hey, I like shopping for meat, fish, and vegetables. Hunting and fishing to me are in the same category as watching people play golf.
You won't catch me hunting, fishing, or gardening.  I'm 100% geek. Grin

That said, if someone wants to be a ham because they love to communicate and it makes them happy and they stay with the hobby, why not?.  For most of us, this just isn't enough of a challenge.
W2WDX
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:59 AM »

Hi all,

I can personally attest to why many Ham's have left ... the damn code requirement.

Well ... I have to say, thank god code is gone as a requirement. It's just a mode, why do so many of you connect intelligence and operator quality to a single mode of operation. I've had a problem with learning code; always did. At least copy. Couldn't get the rhythm of it down and failed my code test 12 times over the years. Yet I can design, build or restore anything in radio. Probably more competently than many of keybangers who wore their ability to pound a key and copy code as some testament to how great of an amateur they are. NOT!!! Simply because my brain couldn't process code, no matter how long I practiced, I wasn't allowed to enjoy the hobby the way I envisioned it, no matter how technical I am (MSEE and an engineer by profession). Why? Because all these fellows that could, thought learning code was a badge of honor. Well ... I couldn't join that exclusive little club and resented it immensely. I haven't operated in many years after doing all that could be done above 30mhz.

And really ... all this hullabalu over a singled-out mode which is nothing more than an archaic digital mode with a ridiculously slow baud rate. Wait ... let's put this in it's proper context: it's the original digital mode that even pre-dates Amateur Radio itself! It's not relevant to radio electronics anymore, it's only relevant to horse-drawn buggies and the elimination of the Pony Express. It's like saying I can't join this BBS because I don't know how to type 60wpm, and I can't, yet I can communicate well and built this computer. The reality ... it was the, "Well ... I had to do it, so you do too" mentality, and that's all it was about. Not fair. Not fair at all. I didn't even get an "E" for effort.  Smiley

I was stuck with the plethora of "CB'ers of VHF" and above for all these years, along with the line-of-sight limitations that go with it. (thank god for 6m). I really think many Amateurs who couldn't manage code, for whatever reason, left or have stopped operating. And because of that they probably don't even know about code being eliminated. I wanna see those statistics!

My heart has always been in operating general DX (not contesting) and AM HF. While intellectually I can explain the technical reasons for atmospheric propagation, there is this ethereal wonderment of the the thing that is just marvelous; unlike picking up a phone and calling Japan. It's why I got into Ham radio in the first place. I'm taking my General and Extra exams this month and should ace them both. I probably will not get any answers incorrect. But because I couldn't pound a key or copy someone else sending, this more essential and pertinent knowledge has been wasted. My inability to manage a single mode forced me to be limited to what I didn't want out of the hobby. Shame. Thank god code is no longer required.

Heck yeah ... I've been restoring, building and tinkering with HF gear, which is where the real fun of the hobby lies. But if all I can do is hook it up to a dummy load, what's the point really? I' have a beautiful station with really cool gear, and most of it I can't use (yet)!!! And I'm what you would call a "gentleman operator". But all this is has been irrelevant. Why ... because I can't hear "da-dit-dah-dah" proficiently? It's like I'm Charlie Brown trying to kick the football and all you code proponents are Lucy! All I wanna do is kick the ball! Argh!!!!

And if you think code is the single factor that determines a persons quality as an operator of a station, then I'd say your argument is irrelevant, arbitrary and narrow-minded. So there!  Smiley

Sorry about the venom, and it's not directed at any individual here. It's just been a lifelong disappointment for me, and it's not like I didn't try or make the effort. I have probably practiced more than any of you who found it relatively easy. Twenty years of code practice .... gosh what a waste of time!

I'm as happy about no-code as hearing about BC being gone ... 40 is open!!!! Yippie!

John
W2WDX
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 12:59:59 AM »

Hi John.. W2WDX...

I followed the breadcrumbs that lead to your website and I for one am very impressed.  Get that upgrade and let's do some AM my friend!  Very nice equipment and I am very jealous of the "I  also have a "brand new" Johnson Valiant, which I found in a neihbors attic unopened in the original shipping crate. (wow!) I am recapping that puppy right now. " statement in particular!  Nice catch!

Catchya on the air,  KX5JT

AMI#1684
W2WDX
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:28 AM »

Yeah and that's an old picture of the station, 2001 I think. It's more refined and the gear is much more esoteric and quality driven. I'm working on a pristine B&W 5100B right now. I also have nice example of the K1JJ 813 based beauty driven by a modified Collins 32V waiting to get fired up. I sold the Valiant on eBay for stupid money to finance the 813 rig.

I'll be there soon.

John
WB2YGF
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »

Nice station John.  I would be willing to swap some of my code proficiency for your energy and enthusiasm if it could be done.  I've known several brilliant Technicians over the years blocked by the code.  Those with CW learning disabilities have been unfairly punished.  Best of luck on the tests.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015