The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Station Licenses  (Read 21073 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »

Looks like the total numbers continue to climb.

Requirments for Morse code testing dropped for all license classes - February 23, 2007
March 2007: 655,048
March 2009: 668,307

And, who said Amateur Radio is dying  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »

It's not the same Ham Radio, though.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

A 2% increase after 2 years... not exactly the hoped-for influx of newcomers.  Considering the 10-year licence term, how many OF's went SK in the meantime and how many new licensees failed to actually get on the air and eventually lost interest, but won't show up in the licensing statistics for at least 8 more years?  It is doubtful that we are seeing any real increase in numbers.  Maybe holding our own slightly better.

Most of the newcomers we hear on HF are upgrades, many of whom have been "hams" for decades, not new licensees.

I personally know a few new AM'ers, real hams in the traditional sense of the word, now designing and homebrewing rigs and learning how radio works, who are on the air after waiting all these years because they "couldn't" learn the code for whatever reason.

But there are also a lot of new "No-Balls" types now on the air, who were simply too scroteless (or too stupid).

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:40:11 AM »

And ...
How many of those are clubs and or repeater callsigns etc. Instead of individuals new to the hobby?

Would be interesting (and a shock to some) to find out how many actual, living,  individual licensed hams there are.

I'm betting that number doesn't start with a 6.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »

If only they kept the code requirements! Everthing would be OK. There probably wouldn't even be a recession.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

I'd like to know who came up with that number, and how they came up with it. Without knowing the criteria, those numbers are meaningless.

I could craft a database query that shows that every amateur has 1.7 legs and owns an alpaca. It would be statistically correct, but would tell us nothing real about the hobby.
KF1Z

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

I'd like to know who came up with that number, and how they came up with it. Without knowing the criteria, those numbers are meaningless.

I could craft a database query that shows that every amateur has 1.7 legs and owns an alpaca. It would be statistically correct, but would tell us nothing real about the hobby.

Probably derived from a site like this:

http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/index.html

Bogus info as far as I'm concerned....

Look at the chart, and the number of Advanced class licenses rose in a few months AFTER the elimination of new Advanced licenses.

They use some unrealistic "guesses", instead of hard numbers.

And never take into account repeater, and club call-signs.

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »

"Hey good buddy, ya got your ears on?"  More and more of that language evident.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »

Don't know what you guys are looking at, but you're making me laugh hard  Grin Grin Grin

Here's the complete chart that goes back to 1997. Is it accurate; can't tell, but it's better then counting on your fingers. http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

And, here's notes about the Statistics:
http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/Information.html

Yep, keep the code requirement, and the world is a better place! All my investments are making big money; a plasma TV in every room (sounds more inviting then a "chicken in every pot") Grin

There were probably proportionality as many idiots on the air "back in the good of days" as there are today. The technology of Amateur Radio has evolved through the years, but the attitudes and personalities of many on-the-air operators of all modes really hasn't changed much as far back as I can remember.

And Bill said: "It's not the same Ham Radio, though."
Boy, am I glad of that.

And HRO said: "Yep... “Appliance Operators”"
And without them, amateur radio probably would have went down the dumpster years ago. 24/7 solder sniffers are a thing of the past.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »

If only they kept the code requirements! Everthing would be OK. There probably wouldn't even be a recession.

Yes, because losers like WA4Doggy, 'BHV, 'Fuzzy Zulu', 'MAN and so many other fine, upstanding hams passed the code to get their licenses.

We should keep in mind too, that amateur radio in those days was much more hostile overall towards AM than it is now. Yet another big plus?

Not to mention that many of the first CBers were actually hams who picked up 11m rigs to use locally along the lines of the 2m CB band today. Find one of those old CB lingo guides and look at the number of their phrases that are plucked directly from amateur radio lingo.

Fortunately, the proper amount of hand-wringing and 'good old days' references is bound to improve the situation drastically.  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KF1Z

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »

Don't know what you guys are looking at, but you're making me laugh hard  Grin Grin Grin

Here's the complete chart that goes back to 1997. Is it accurate; can't tell, but it's better then counting on your fingers. http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

The same site I mentioned.

No, it's really NOT better than counting on your fingers...
Because at very least you're counting something that exists.

Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »

Like counting teeth.  Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »

The statistic that counts is the number of real live active hams who actually have a station on the air and use it.  I suspect that number is much smaller than the licence statistics would lead you to believe.

I can easily recall the 1970's and earlier, even the 1980's and earlier, when the HF bands were packed with signals.  One of the arguments used by the anti-AM crowd and spectrum conservation freaks was that AM was too wide and the bands too crowded.  I can remember on Friday and Saturday nights in winter months you had to search for a clear spot to land a signal on 75m.  The 80m CW band was packed with signals from 3500 through the novice band.  At times, even 160 was packed on weekends, even after the demise of LORAN.  But now, there is much less congestion.  Even during that most obnoxious of all QuaRMtests, the Penisylvania QSO Party, the past few years there have been enough open spots left that one could operate normally with little QRMtest QRM.

The CW operators, being very protective of their "protected" spectrum have already very vocally expressed opposition to any suggestion of expansion of phone privileges on 40m since the broadcasters moved out, but listening down below 7125 at all times of day, and all days of the week, I have yet to hear 7000-7125 packed with CW and data signals.  Usually there are a handful of DX pile-ups on 7000-7025, a cluster of CW activity on 7025-40 (largely QRP'ers) a few CW and data signals on 7040-7060 or  thereabouts, and 3 or 4 slow speed CW QSO's in the old novice band, competing with Radio Ethiopia on 7110, and the rest is foreign SSB.

I would  say that right now we have just about the right balance between available spectrum and the level of activity.  If we could just maintain that balance in a steady state.  But the amateur population keeps on ageing.  A few newcomers in their 30's can be heard on the air, but it is rare to  hear someone in their 20's, and even rarer to hear someone in their teens.  What is going to happen when we old farts inevitably die off?

From my observation, the "last generation" of hams was that generation in its teens and early 20's during the early to mid 70's, on average about 8-10 years younger than myself.  This includes a large number of the AM'ers presently on the air - the Timtron generation if you wish.  There is a large number of licensees of that age active on the air right now, but as you go to hams younger than that, the population rapidly thins out.

I am not P&M'ing about doing away with the code test.  I just don't believe it brought on that surge of newcomers that was touted to occur, just as other previous attempts failed: renewable novice, Novice Enhancement, No-code Tech, 5 wpm code, etc.

I believe one of the reasons that the amateur population is not growing as it once did, is that faced with all the competition for grabbing the interest of the general population, appliance operating is b-o-o-r-ring.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

From my observation, the "last generation" of hams was that generation in its teens and early 20's during the early to mid 70's, on average about 8-10 years younger than myself.  This includes a large number of the AM'ers presently on the air - the Timtron generation if you wish.  There is a large number of licensees of that age active on the air right now, but as you go to hams younger than that, the population rapidly thins out.

I am not P&M'ing about doing away with the code test.  I just don't believe it brought on that surge of newcomers that was touted to occur, just as other previous attempts failed: renewable novice, Novice Enhancement, No-code Tech, 5 wpm code, etc.

I believe one of the reasons that the amateur population is not growing as it once did, is that faced with all the competition for grabbing the interest of the general population, appliance operating is b-o-o-r-ring.

When I was first licensed (1959) the rate of growth of amateur radio was phenomenal.  Of course that was the "Sputnik era" and there was a great amount of emphasis and encouragement given to kids who were interested in electronics and science.  Amateur radio was a natural endeavor in which one could gain exposure to electronics and communications.
My original call KN9UBF was issued in August 1959, my buddy KN9UWA got his call over Christmas break 1959.  My cousin had received KN9RIT in March of 1959.  They issued a ton of calls that year and I remember that they got completely through the alphabet for K9 calls during the 1960-61 time frame and started back through reissuing expired and unissued calls.  I'm not sure of the date that they started issuing WA9 calls, but it seemed truly remarkable how fast they got through the K9s.  I don't think that we have seen a growth rate like that in the late50s-early 60s since.

It is certainly true that kids now have many options competing for their attention.  Ham radio seems pretty stodgy compared to such things as video games, computers, the internet, and cell phones.  I guess it is really up to us to get kids and grandkids involved in amateur radio.  If we don't, it will die when we die.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »

It is certainly true that kids now have many options competing for their attention.  Ham radio seems pretty stodgy compared to such things as video games, computers, the internet, and cell phones.  I guess it is really up to us to get kids and grandkids involved in amateur radio.  If we don't, it will die when we die.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Lots of things going on with today's kids and amateur radio:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/tbp/
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/tbp/ti.html
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/teacher/
http://www.arrl.org/SCR/

WB2YGF
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »

There were probably proportionality as many idiots on the air "back in the good of days" as there are today.
Spealing of proportionality,  I can remember lots of hams in the "old days" who were inactive as well.  I go through periods of inactivity myself.  I have several hobbies that get my primary attention at different times. 

There are several hams in the club I belong to, that regularly attend meetings, but are not that active.  They are probably some of the ones that used to crowd 80M back in the day but have competing interests now.  I am as guilty as the rest of not being on often enough.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »

IF I recall correctly, way back in the old days you had to certify that you were operating at least XX hours per year to renew your license.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »

Regarding the younger generation and ham radio.  I consider myself part of the younger ham generation.  As an early Generation-Xer (or very late baby-boomer, with whom I more associate myself with) born in 1966 (presently aged 42) I may have some insight.  I grew up with personel computers.   The Sinclair ZX-81 was my introduction into the computer world.   Actually maybe it was Atari Pong in 1975 as a 9 year old.  Anyway, I can remember my dad having a reel to reel tape recorder but we had cable TV as early as 1970.  I grew up in the suburb.  I can remember being fascinated by AM radio broadcast from Arkansas (yah Beaker Street!) and Chicago but never knew it was called "DX".  We didn't own a shortwave radio.  In 1976, my dad joined the CB crazy with a 23 channel Realistic in the Chevy Impala to use on the road for "monitoring" smokey bear. 

I loved computers and started reading about electronics and digital theory with radio shack books in 1980 to learn how they worked.  I was 13 and taught myself BASIC on that Sinclair ZX-81.  So after high school I went to a vocational and a technical school and pursued electronics.  Of course, after getting a 2-yr associates I ventured into the world of PC's and PC networks.  During my studies at the vo-tech school, the instructor was cleaning out his storage room and I inherited an old rack mount National HF receiver.  With his instruction I managed to put a long wire up and became exposed to Shortwave and then Amateur Radio from listening to 3.885 AM (W5BM, Lou Erath and other ICONS of AM). 

Now after pursuing a license in the 90s and playing with radio, I decided to start an internet chat room about amateur radio.  We have a small population of amateurs that hang out there 24/7.  Most of them are younger than me, some a bit older and retired.  The younger hams are mostly COMPUTER types that WANT to have HAM RADIO stations.  They typically have HTs and do very little repeater work.  They WANT TO HAVE HF stations.

They typically are struggling with the current economy, students, freshly married, new parents, etc etc.  They also typically live in APARTMENTS in URBAN cities.

THEY WANT TO HAVE HF STATIONS.  They aren't yet positioned financially or geographically to really do so.  One innovative younger friend lives in Brooklyn, NY.  He doesn't have a lot of money.  He did build a QRP 40 Meter CW rig and has managed to put up a dipole outside the apartment.  He has a total of 10 contacts.  TOTAL.  Since last summer.  EACH CONTACT is a celebration for him!  He gets so pumped up!  HE WANTS to HAVE PHONE capability.  He still dreams about the day. 

For many, it's having a home and property and the extra time of retirement that really allows the radio hobby to bloom.  Give the younger people time.  I hope they don't get too discouraged and just give it up as I fear many do.  At 42 years old, I'm usually the youngest member at our local ham club meetings and there are usually 35 to 45 people each meeting there.

I'm doing my best to encourage and help as many hams younger than me.  Code?  CODE?  Some like it, some want it, some don't.  They aren't CBers from way back.  They simply don't come from that generation.  It's no longer about code people.  Code is an option, just like A.M., as it should be. 

KX5JT John

AMI#1684
KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

Three advertisements for League-endorsed programs and one advertisement for a League-sponsored contest. They've been running similar programs (and contests) since before I was in school, yet somehow the vast majority of the ham population is older than I am.

That's all the numbers I need. All I see other than that is the League going on and on about how wonderful they think they are. Doesn't impress me.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

Three advertisements for League-endorsed programs and one advertisement for a League-sponsored contest. They've been running similar programs (and contests) since before I was in school, yet somehow the vast majority of the ham population is older than I am.

That's all the numbers I need. All I see other than that is the League going on and on about how wonderful they think they are. Doesn't impress me.

By some standards of "seasoned" amateurs, you might be considered a neophyte in the amateur radio hobby since you have been only licensed since 1991 which is probably why the vast majority of the ham population is older than you. Many, many others came before you, as W9GT pointed out, and are still alive and kicking in the amateur radio arena. "The Big Project" has been around since 2000, http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2000/12/07/3/ .
I suspect you're not the target audience for their school kid education activities so I can understand why you not impressed.

But, as I pointed out in the initial post, the numbers for "total licensed"  are moving in a positive direction. Whether it's because of school kids or "older then dirt" people, the numbers are positive, and that's a good thing.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »

When I was first licensed (1959) the rate of growth of amateur radio was phenomenal.  Of course that was the "Sputnik era" and there was a great amount of emphasis and encouragement given to kids who were interested in electronics and science.  Amateur radio was a natural endeavor in which one could gain exposure to electronics and communications...
My original call KN9UBF was issued in August 1959, my buddy KN9UWA got his call over Christmas break 1959.  My cousin had received KN9RIT in March of 1959.  They issued a ton of calls that year and I remember that they got completely through the alphabet for K9 calls during the 1960-61 time frame and started back through reissuing expired and unissued calls.  I'm not sure of the date that they started issuing WA9 calls, but it seemed truly remarkable how fast they got through the K9s.  I don't think that we have seen a growth rate like that in the late50s-early 60s since.

You were licensed exactly the same month that I was.  I took the novice test in June 59 and the licence came in the mail in August.  I upgraded to General by taking the test at the FCC testing site in November 59 and the ticket came in the mail exactly one month later.

Here in 4-land it took from the beginning when the first amateur radio call signs were ever issued until late 1954 to run through all the W4's. But it took only about 6 years to run through all the K4's.  As I recall, the first WA4's started showing up in late 60 or early 61.  By '64 or early '65, the WA4's were exhausted and they began the WB4's.  Not too many years later, the first WD4's were issued.

Sometime in the 60's a famous article appeared in CQ Magazine, entitled "The Swans of Abbotsbury".  The gist of the article was that amateur radio (at that time) has the inherent ability to attract newcomers of its own accord, and recruiting efforts were not only unnecessary, but counterproductive, since the amateur spectrum was a fixed resource, and continued growth at the rate we had seen in the previous few years was unsustainable without expansion of amateur frequencies, something deemed extremely unlikely in those pre-satellite days.

In just a little over 10 years, all the K's, WA's and WB's were issued, but it took the first four decades of amateur radio to go through the first sequence of W's. 

Perhaps we were spoilt by the rapid growth of the 50's and 60's, and rather than stagnating, things just settled back down to normal starting in the 70's.

- - -
WB2YGF
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

As I recall, the first WA4's started showing up in late 60 or early 61.  By '64 or early '65, the WA4's were exhausted and they began the WB4's.  Not too many years later, the first WD4's were issued.
Actually, IIRC, the WD's didn't start til the late 1970's.  Once the original WB's were exhausted, they started re-issuing both WA's and WB's.  I got a re-issued WB in 1974 and a friend got a re-issued WA about the same time.  My uncle (SK) got WD2AGY a few years later.

(Corrected to WD2AGY - 4/10)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »

I been in electronics jobs for 30 years. For over two decades, one thing kept me out of ham radio. The hams themselves. These horrible, bizzarre, creepy people would show up at swap meets and and and.. it was unspeakable! But I am better now since I got over my irrational fear of evil clowns.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

I been in electronics jobs for 30 years. For over two decades, one thing kept me out of ham radio. The hams themselves. These horrible, bizzarre, creepy people would show up at swap meets and and and.. it was unspeakable! But I am better now since I got over my irrational fear of evil clowns.

It's not an irrational fear. They are always lurking at hamfests.

WB2YGF
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »

You have been assimilated into the collective.....resistance is futile.

Soon you will drive to hamfests in a rusted hulk of a 1975 station wagon with 7 antennas including a 2M squallo.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015