The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:54:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIKER LOSING OUTPOOT..  (Read 3149 times)
ve6pg

« on: March 31, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »

..ok..now, my viker2 is losing output power...starts out at abt.100watts, then starts to drop-off...mod current rises, as well...power supply?...
..help...

...sk...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KB3DKS

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:37 AM »

Bias supply filter cap leaky and drawing current after it heats up, miss-matched, bad, or gassy 807 causing strong/good tube to overheat and draw current, weak 6AL5 bias rect....
  You can spot the 807 issue easy enough from the top but need to put the thing on it's side and carefully measure/monitor the bias and other voltages. The bias will be there without switching the plate voltage on but be careful anyway.

Those seem the most likely issues but you have to get the voltmeter in there to isolate the problem.

Mine has been real stable after replacing the electrolytics and solid stating the rectifiers, etc.

Bill, KB3DKS in 1 Land
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »

Sounds like your RF amplifier is drawing less current (power going down) and the plate voltage is probably rising as a result which causes your modulator current to rise.

Could be bad final(s), screen voltage issue, etc. How much plate current does the rf final draw? When you tune off of resonance how high will it go?
Does it do this on all bands?

Just a few things to check.

Dave

---Dave  W3NP
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »

How is the grid drive itself, does it drop?  If so suspect C-25 (the coupling cap).

R-35 (in the screen lead) does not dissipate much power but if it has become temperature sensitive this could be your problem, I have seen that happen before. 

So try to narrow it down, does the grid drive drop or remain steady.  What is the screen voltage doing.  It could also be one or both of your 6146 finals although one of the more typical failure modes for those is increasing plate current as it heats due to a damaged control grid from previous excessive grid current events.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »

..ok, well, i'll look into this further...but firstly, what is the value of c-25? (voltage, etc)...and which is the bias supply cap?....i do have the viker manual, but of course, it is in a box "somewhere"...

..sk..

ve6pg

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »

..ok..checked all the toobs...all ok...but grid current is dropping, and output decreases the longer i transmit...this can be a 1 minute transmission, or 5 mins..no difference...

..sk..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015