The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:56:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WB3HUZ strapping away on YouTube  (Read 5269 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: March 23, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »

I was stumbling around on YouTube before shutting down the computer and came across this. It sounds like it might be the end of the "What's For Dinner Net" floating around in the lower regions, sliding down to 3725 from 3733. Nice quality audio from the HUZ station and several others pouring out of someone's SP600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC_PFWOYXc

* wb3huz march 24-2008.jpg (34.9 KB, 640x420 - viewed 431 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »

HUZman on YouTube?

Isn't that one of the Signs of the Apocalypse?  Grin
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

It sounds like it might be the end of the "What's For Dinner Net" floating around in the lower regions, sliding down to 3725 from 3733. Nice quality audio from the HUZ station and several others pouring out of someone's SP600.

That's exactly it, Rob. Sounds like it was the weekend before Timonium. Recording made by 'VJB I believe. Steve and Johnny were strapping into the northeast under excellent end-of-winter conditions as we moved down to 3725 to vacate 3733 for a nightly SSB net. The Handi-Talkie comment from Steve is a reference to the BC-611 I was running into phased rhombics.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »

We were on 3725 kHz last night too. K1JJ, WA2PJP and I enjoyed well over an hour with no heterodynes, no jammers and no slopbuckets, even with a 15 kHz bandwidth. A good session. I took a listen on 3885 during that time and there were slopbuckets on either side, as close as 3 kHz and tons of heterodynes and other sundry noises.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »

Believe a first ever was made last night also... Joe PJP and I were both using our NC-400s.  Prolly the first time in many years, if ever, 2 stations were in QSO using that rare receiver.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

Nice video!! Someone knew how to use the focus on the cam. Very nice quality and the audio was FMish!!!
My turn will come to upload part of a Flintstone show. You'll see my rack of processing and those beautiful Dorrough loudness meters. Nicesh! Don't tell my wife.shhhhhhhh

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:20:27 PM »

Is that a big old tube regulated power supply under the receiver?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »

cool idea. I think I'll drag out the canon video cam and post movies of various munky-swingers signals on the non hi fi ft 101E.

I once had 3 sp600's at the same time. used to park one on 40, one on 75, one on 160. Cry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »

Is that a big old tube regulated power supply under the receiver?
Pretty sure it's a Gates modulation monitor.

Believe a first ever was made last night also... Joe PJP and I were both using our NC-400s.  Prolly the first time in many years, if ever, 2 stations were in QSO using that rare receiver.
A pair of NC-400s on the air at the same time....highly unlikely on a good day, unless it was that modified Leary beast that consisted of 2 NC-400s lashed together permanently with copius modifications. Might have a shot of it kicking around somewhere. I've listened to Joe's 400, audio reminds me a lot of the SP-600. A truly attractive receiver as well, sorta like a NC-183 on steroids.

Where would it fall on your 'bang for the buck' scale John, and more importantly - does it use Litz wire in the IFs?  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »

Pretty low on the "bang for the buck" scale.  It's a good performer, not nearly as stable as a 51J or 75A4.  Product detector not the best.  But it has lots of great selectivity options and looks really cool.  For the going price ($800-1000) it's probably on par with a 75A-4, value-wise.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1IA

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »

I was stumbling around on YouTube before shutting down the computer and came across this. It sounds like it might be the end of the "What's For Dinner Net" floating around in the lower regions, sliding down to 3725 from 3733. Nice quality audio from the HUZ station and several others pouring out of someone's SP600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC_PFWOYXc
Cool...I found one of me from my friend in CT land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseTxJo5kkY&feature=related

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »

Yah, looks like you are whirlwide famous Brent! There is a nice copy of your QSO with CT4RK at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDJqVaYLaY

Well done!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

Should I get my head examined?

That video made me pine for an SP-600.  I had one once but in fit of modernity gave it away.  That was a long, long time ago.   I really can't remember how it performed.  I do remember the dial though ...

Should I see a shrink, take a cold shower, do something before I go out and get another one?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015