The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew open wire feedline,,,  (Read 17670 times)
K7NCR
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »

HEY GANG,
I bought some 1/2 in. poly tubing for spacers, and have the 14ga stranded house wire from my old loop antenna. My question is, what would be good spacing for HB open line feeder? I know, kinda a JN question, but seems its kind of a lost skill. I plan on a large doublet, probably inverted V configuration. So, what are you folks with open line use for your setup? Thanks!
Norm K7NCR
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »

I've had good luck with 30 inch spacing
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »

Is that between wires Frank?
or
Between spacers?

Cheesy

W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »

I am using the open wire that was sold by W7FG. He used 16 ga stranded insulated wire with what sounds like similar material for spreaders that you are going to use. The spacing on his feeders was approx 4" and was spec'ed at 600 ohm.  I use it with a 130' flat top and a Viking KW matchbox and it does a fine job.
W7FG is now a SK - I know the question has been asked, but has anyone heard if his antenna business will be continued?

---Dave  W3NP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »

I don't think you could make that feeder line for what W7FG charged.  Website is still active, dunno if they're still shipping or not  http://www.w7fg.net/

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »

That was my question for the original poster.  Generally 4-6" wire spacing is FB. Spacing down the line (between adjacent spacers) depends on the stiffness of the wires used and/or if the feedline will be held taut. If the wire is taut or very stiff. very few spacers are required (in some cases none). If the wire is flexible and not held taut, place as few spacers as is need to keep the spacing between the two wires fairly constant. Less than one every few feet is probably overkill.

or
Between spacers?

Cheesy
K7NCR
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »

Actually I was looking for spacing between wires. With 14ga stranded, it is fairly flexible. What is the distance between spacers on the W7FG line? As I already have 500 ft of the wire, I only spent $16 on 50 ft of tubing. Thanks for the input so far!
Norm K7NCR
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »

Hi Norm,

I've always had good luck with 3 inch spacing between wires with the spacers inserted in 1 foot increments. I also used stranded wire for the feedline and found that it had a tendency to twist a bit in the wind. The 1 foot increment preserves the 3 inch spacing and makes it pretty much impossible for anything to short out in the wind should the feedline get tossed around. After slotting the ends of the spacers and putting them in place along the parallel wires I just walk along with a hot glue gun and fill the ends of the spacers. The glue firmly locks the wire to the spacer to form a series of very durable junctions that have proven to be resistant to mechanical stress, weather, and ultraviolet effects.

Rob AEX

* 3inch.jpg (17.22 KB, 400x300 - viewed 604 times.)

* 256ft.jpg (19.62 KB, 400x300 - viewed 575 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »

Actually I was looking for spacing between wires. With 14ga stranded, it is fairly flexible. What is the distance between spacers on the W7FG line?
Norm K7NCR

The nominal spacing appears to be somewhere around 18 - 20" but since the ends of the tubes are both slotted and drilled it is easy to "slide" the spacer along the wires to give optimum spacing in places that may require more or less.

Since you already have the wire and the cost for the spacing materiel was low, you will definitely save some $$ but since time is at a premium for me, the extra cost was well worth it.

Here is a photo of my installation:

* P1010002 (Medium).JPG (70.84 KB, 800x600 - viewed 615 times.)

---Dave  W3NP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:28 PM »

or
Between spacers?

Cheesy

Just in case you run across the opportunity to do so:

I've run open wire that had NO spacers and was spaced 24" apart between the two wires.  By using a tower or strong tree as the center support, simply pull the wires tight to the ground support.  No ice or rain bridging between wires causing swr changes. Though, the wind will cause a sway to the wires causing an oscillating swr effect... :-)

24" spacing is still a small % of wavelength, even on 40M and will cancel FB...  It was actually the most environmentally stable openwire installation I ever had.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »

I know one thing - I'm gonna freak on every large set of ceramic spacers I see on this years fests. Sometimes you find large batches of em. IMHO most hams today dont even know what they are.

I need a slinging transformer. I can still throw one.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

I still remember the club station at school that used the 600 ohm 'railroad track' line. I used to see gobs of that stuff in boxes under hamfest tables. Now I wish I would have scored it whilst I had the chance.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »

I don't think you could make that feeder line for what W7FG charged.  Website is still active, dunno if they're still shipping or not  http://www.w7fg.net/

I would not order at this time.  I have not heard from his widow what will become of the business.   The way it was set up was rather tricky so I really doubt it will continue but, until someone receives an answer, I would hold off ordering.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »

I run Johnson 4 inch spreaders spaced 30 inches with #10 solid. I have run #14 but it needs to be closer say 24 inches. I have a run that has been up since '83
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »

The old classic standard was 6" spacing, using #10 or #12 wire, to make approximately 600-ohm line.

Mine is made of #10 copperweld, spaced 2" apart, using the little EF Johnson ceramic spreaders.  The line that goes up the inside of tower to the dipole is the same spacing and under tension with turnbuckles, held in position by threading through plexiglas spacers every 10 feet, that rest on the rungs of the tower, one each tower section.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K7NCR
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »

Here are some photos of the progress so far. The close-up of the wire test piece it pretty fuzzy. I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the wire, then notched the tube to the hole. The wire snaps in firmly, and only slides with moderate force. Have to get all the insulators drilled/notched, than can start assembly.

* box of insulators.JPG (58.14 KB, 640x480 - viewed 624 times.)

* wire hole sample.jpg (42.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 607 times.)
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the wire, then notched the tube to the hole. The wire snaps in firmly, and only slides with moderate force. 

Should work out fine - that is the way the W7FG spreaders are made - they can be slid along the wire but it does take a little pressure and they don't move on their own.

If the W7FG feedline turns out to be no longer available, your method will produce the same result, albeit with a larger labor/cost ratio.

Keep us posted

---Dave  W3NP
K3ZS

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »

If you make the slot short enough, you can glue an end cap tightly against the wire
to keep it from moving.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »

I would not order at this time.  I have not heard from his widow what will become of the business.   The way it was set up was rather tricky so I really doubt it will continue but, until someone receives an answer, I would hold off ordering.

His website states that the business is being transferred, and that they are accepting orders.  Is that not the case, or do we have reason to doubt that?  It's on the SK portion of the main website.

--Shane
K7NCR
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »

If you make the slot short enough, you can glue an end cap tightly against the wire
to keep it from moving.

I think the snap-in slots will be enough. I want to keep the mass low, if possible. I'll keep everyone posted.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 02:35:09 AM »

I Took a look at the W7FG site and yes, it  says  they are still taking orders  BUT, there was NO word as to if they were SHIPPING product!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

I planned on ordering this line and sent email. I got no response.  Looks like a solid product at a good price. If they contact me, I will let you guys know.

Clark
K7NCR
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »

Here are some more photos. I set up a jig in the basement, about 30 ft. long. I need about 120 ft. I have completed 2 runs, (60 ft) so far. It goes pretty fast after the tedious job of drilling and slotting. The weather here is finally improving, so I hope to get outside to the antenna work soon! 73! Norm K7NCR 

* ready spacers.JPG (61.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 615 times.)

* in progress 01.JPG (61.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 589 times.)

* in progress 02.JPG (62.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 583 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »

I planned on ordering this line and sent email. I got no response.  Looks like a solid product at a good price. If they contact me, I will let you guys know.

Clark

Any response yet?

It is a great product and a great price.  I need some more...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »

Nope.. Nothing.  I am ready to order also. Just dont have the time to make my own right now. I am using 14 guage stranded 450 now. I would rather have the big stuff up.

Clark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015