The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 03:01:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7290 AM  (Read 26187 times)
WB2YGF
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »

40 M has always been a great band for AM activity.  I guess, with the recent dramatic variable propagation conditions, many people just got discouraged or frustrated and activity diminished.   

I worked several stations on 40 yesterday and had a ball.  I will make a point to get on 40M more...I just got into the habit of staying on 160 and 75.

73,  Jack, W9GT
Discouraged with 40? 

Last night I tried to have a QSO on 75.  The guy reported that I had a S9 to 10+ signal but he couldn't pick me out amongst the SSB QRM.  THATS discouraging.  That, and I suspect some of the "tall ships" don't want to be bothered with "QRP" stations like myself. (Which is OK... to each his own.)

No, I find 40 ENCOURAGING.  There is much more of a level playing field power-wise (20W-300W) and the variable propogation is no worse than the sporadic E on 10 AM I am familiar with.

I will definitely be reserving Saturday morning for 40 AM operation from now on.  Lot's more bang for the buck.

I wonder how propagation is in the evening on 40?  Is it bad, or is it just that nobody is on?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »

Indeed. Lower power and lower antennas will work far better on 40 meters in the daytime. Remember, a 30-foot high dipole on 40 meters is roughly equivalent to a 60-foot high dipole on 75 meters.

Nigh time is different. More noise and the broadcast interference can be a problem. But, if you find a slot or two where no BC stations are active, 40 can be great fun on AM at night. There's usually a few hour window when either 7285, 90 or 95 is open during the evening. Sometimes more than one of those slots will be open. That's when it's time to strike. Working coast-to-coast on 40 is WAY easier than on 75. Maybe we can even hook up with some Euros too.

Here's a clip of 40 meter night time activity from a few years ago.

http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=82
WB2YGF
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »

I am listening on 7290 right now and its complete silence. I actually find the noise level here is like S5 at night vs S9 during the day.  (Somebody is running something generating  noise during the day.)   Of course, the west coast could be hearing broadcast stations I can't hear from here.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »

Last night I tried to have a QSO on 75.  The guy reported that I had a S9 to 10+ signal but he couldn't pick me out amongst the SSB QRM.  THATS discouraging.  That, and I suspect some of the "tall ships" don't want to be bothered with "QRP" stations like myself. (Which is OK... to each his own.)

There are several reasons involved, the biggest by far being the age-old mentailities involved with running AM on 75m. Sometime around 20 years back I was running a 32V and had the same issues at night, even though my buddies where there with strapping signals. There comes a point where trying to let a low powered station into a noisy frequency risks losing the frequency to 'others' (meaning SSB, of course). Sometime back then was when the phrase 'the weaker they are, the longer they talk' was coined for just such instances.

Not that what you say isn't true about some stations not wanting to be bothered (the term 'LID' isn't mode-specific). But look at the potential situation you're entering and what you're expecting out of it.

Unless you're voluntarily confining yourself to the general class portion of the band by license class, the 80m portion is much quieter and easier to converse - even at lower power levels. When all else fails, go create your own activity.

I wonder how propagation is in the evening on 40?  Is it bad, or is it just that nobody is on?

As Steve demonstrated with the sound file, there is the opportunity for activity there *if* you're willing to make it happen. I never had much luck on 40 at night in the northeast due to foreign broadcast and local noise, hopefully the new location will be an improvement. But even during the day, 40 can be a lot like 75 when folks are on. Several QSOs competing for the same 2-3 frequency slots, with SSB stations also trying to lay claim. I've heard folks down on 7190 and have worked Ralphie 'GL and others down on 7150.

It is what it is, and what is it is whatcha make it.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »

I keep an unusual schedule due to my work.  I work 6 out of 7 nights, 7pm to 7am, then the next 6 out of 7 nights I am off.  This has me awake and no set time but it changes from one week to the next.  It's certainly difficult as such to maintain a real schedule on the radio and be on a certain frequency every certain day at a certain time.  That being said, I check out 80 meters and 40 meters whenever, at any given point, day and night when I'm available.  I have heard 40 meters, 7290 specifically, quite clear at times during the dark hours when ssb qso's are going full strength all over the continent and even intercontinental.  It's a crapshoot.  Sometimes, there is a foreign broadcast, sometimes a ssb qso or even the 7290 traffic net (on ssb *sigh*) in the mornings. 

My point is CHECK and CALL CQ if it's clear! Monitor a while.  15 minutes... calling CQ every couple minutes.  You'll be surprised!  I've been doing this lately and usually after a bit of calling I tend to get some sort of contact.  Sometimes good solid QSO's result.  It's happened at midnight and at 9 am.  It's happened at 7 pm. 

Let's take back the upper part of 40 m for AM!  If we don't, it'll be more difficult as other modes decide to use it regularly.  Well, that's my experience in my short time on AM and it's worth a few minutes to check isn't it?

I'll be checking this evening and throughout the night (I am up nights and off the next few nights) hope to catch you there!
I realize maybe it's not that great on the east coast... Angry

Also some time back there was some chatter here and on the AM reflector about establishing a 40 meter AM frequency in the 7.1XX region.  With the hopeful move of many 41m broadcasters set to occur in a few months... now would be a good time for such an activity!

this is KX5JT, John from South Louisiana

AMI#1684
WQ9E

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »

Todd,

I hope your move and subsequent station setup has gone well!  As a former southerner I am really getting tired of the multiple ice events this winter.

Your advice to move down the band is very sound.  I have been operating some in what was the old 80 meter Novice band and have had some nice QSO's.  Even at night there is plenty of room.

I do try to come back to weaker signals (although S9 plus 10 really isn't that weak!) and a lot depends upon receiver selectivity.  When I first set up my Johnson Desk KW I paired it with a National HRO-50T1 like the old Johnson ads but the 50 just doesn't cut it during crowded conditions on AM.  When I started helping out as net control on the Midwest Classic radio net I would patch my Drake R-7 in to pull stations out of the QRM but I didn't like having the two receiver setup and for quite awhile I used a Halli SX-100 with the Ranger/Desk which worked out quite well.  The advantage of receivers like the SX-100 family, HQ-170/180, or even the much maligned Heathkit RX-1 is their selectable sideband feature so you can flip sidebands on the fly to minimize QRM.  This really works great (as long as none of the stations are using more modern gear that only transmits one sideband in AM mode).  My current receiver for the desk is an SX-88 which is high in coolness factor and allows choice of sidebands through retuning but it isn't as convenient as flipping a switch to choose sidebands but the high Q 50 Khz. IF transformers provide a very nice choice of bandwidths.  My Viking 500 gets used when receiving conditions are not quite as bad because it is paired with a Pierson KP-81 which has a pretty sharp 455 Khz. IF with crystal filter (it has a total of 11 IF transformers split across its 2 IF sub-chassis) and selectable low and high pass audio filters but it can't keep up with the Halli 50 Khz. final IF under battle conditions.

Calling CQ is like fishing and you either have to be loud, rare, or in a clear spot to attract attention.  But that is part of the fun of radio.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »

I made that recording using a little Sony portable shortwave receiver and about 20 feet of wire thrown out the first floor window.

As Steve demonstrated with the sound file, there is the opportunity for activity there *if* you're willing to make it happen. I never had much luck on 40 at night in the northeast due to foreign broadcast and local noise, hopefully the new location will be an improvement.

WB2YGF
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »

Calling CQ on 7285.....
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »

Here's a clip of 40 meter night time activity from a few years ago.
http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=82

heheheh -   You actually taped the Craig-Meister on 40M. His HB 813 rig sounded pretty good up there.  He was running a double extended Zepp at 100' high... big signal on 40M.

That session sounded like fun. It was cool to hear W6LGL (Little Green Light) from the west coast so well.

Even Tom Vu broke in. 

Nice tape, OM and quite rare.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »

CQ CQ 7290 .... getting close to 10 pm and working KF4EUD a brand new General who didn't realize people use AM mode!  So he was really enthused!

Anyway as long as it's still clear, I'll be here calling from time to time tonight.

this is KX5JT John

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »

Hey there WB2YGF,

Well, John, we can't say we didn't try!  My noise level is running at s5 with crashes to 7 and broadcast "noise" coming in and out underneath it all.  But I was able to honestly pick up your callsign and turn it back and forth a few times, that's a contact!Perseverence and determination!  We'll get a good QSO in I know at some point!  Thanks for playing!

this is KX5JT, John

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »

CQ CQ 7290 ....
I did hear you in there, but there was quite a bit of QSB.  You peaked at S9 and very copyable at that point but you rapidly went back into the noise.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:11 PM »

Talked to Ashtabula Bill on 160 this evening.

anyone know how he's doing health wise?

all this 40 talk has got me thinking about things. be a snap to reconnect the matchbox and amp on there.

right now I am fixing up the wife's xmas present: her first Mac  Cool then back to radio....
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »

Clear frequency here in south Louisiana presently....
... I'll call CQ on 7290... it's midnight-thirtyish

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

2:30 PM, 7290, worked WA8UAS, Rick in Michigan.  Nice guy.  He has a Collins 20B3 BC Xmitter (newer version of the 20V2) running full strap dedicated to 40 Meters.  He also has separate BC transmitters for 80 & 160.  Must be nice to have all that room.  I told him about AMfone.net but he has not had Internet access since he retired.  (Is there really life without the Internet?)  Grin
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »

Okay, I'm back at the CQ'ing here 9-10.30 am Central today

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »

Band is long tonight... anyone out there game for some 40 m AM tonight?
meet you on 7.290 Am ... clear here for now.

AMI#1684
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »

OK guys....crank up those rigs on 40M!   Worked W8VG, W1AEX, and WB0JZG just awhile ago on 7290, now things seem really quiet.  Good to hear some activity on 40....lets hear some more.  W9GT listening 7290.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

Heard you on there yesterday Jack, along with Rick UAS, Buddly, Robert 'VMC and many others. Odd part was that, while you guys were having trouble hearing each other at times, I heard everyone except for the 2 mobile stations. And everyone hung in there fine until the group finally broke up. 

40 has certainly been strange for an extended period, at least as far as band conditions go. It still confuses me why such large groups gather in such a small area, then comment on the other AMers 5 kcs away interfering, though. Lemmings come to mind.

Your Federal xmtr was giving the atmosphere a good pasting!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »

I'll be calling on 7.290AM if the frequency is clear .... as it is presently.

.... clear freq!

KX5JT

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »

How about trying 7290 again tonight people?

AMI#1684
WB2YGF
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »

How about trying 7290 again tonight people?

Sorry...I was already in bed & asleep at 10:45.  Embarrassed
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »

Calling CQ CQ CQ on 7.290 @ 10:35 up in the northeast. Can anyone hear my little radio?

Rob AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015