The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:11:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 last evening  (Read 5640 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: February 10, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »

You easties need to turn the RF gain up!

At 10 PM ET last evening, I heard Steve QIX Q4-Q5 on 1885. Tried making noise several times, no reply. Got an SWL email from the Philly area saying that I was heard there..
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »

If you are around again tonight Bill, I will take a listen. We've worked several times before on 160 and I have a better antenna now than then. So if the propagation winds are blowing correctly, we should be in luck. I was hearing a slopbucket station from Nebraska the other night like he was next door.

I do see some T-storms in OK, AR and TX that may cause problems.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »

Bill ....there are a bunch of us in the Pacific NW on 1945 around 8- 8:30 pacific time just about every evening...     I was on till about 9:15 last nite and the band was fairly quiet and seemed to be going long when I pulled the plug...  I will check 1885 for you guys...
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

1945 KC.. I need to check the antenna out up there. In spite of it being two wires spread a few feet apart, The VSWR gets terrible above 1900. I need to shorten it since I don't do much CW these days.

In any case, working the east coast from here on 160 is big-time DX.
KB3DKS

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »

Bill,
 I could hear you calling in between breaks in Steve's QSO but you were just above my noise floor here in western MA. No 160 Xmit capability or I would have tried to get back to you myself.

Bill,
KB3DKS in 1 Land
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

Heavy QRN here last night.  I didn't even try to get on 75.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

Noise was high on 75 but I did hear KL7OF in Tum Tum. By the time the pileup cleared he moved on. Next time...
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »

You easties need to turn the RF gain up!

At 10 PM ET last evening, I heard Steve QIX Q4-Q5 on 1885. Tried making noise several times, no reply. Got an SWL email from the Philly area saying that I was heard there..

Hi Bill,

Sorry I didn't hear you Sad

We had static (atmospheric) that was fairly strong.  Also, I don't think the band was that great.  No line noise to contend with around here, so that's good !

So, under more favorable conditions, I will definitely hear you.  I've heard guys from 7 land, and I think that's further away.  Also, I hear Robert W0VMC quite well down on 160.

Talk later (on 160, hopefully).

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:14 PM »

Yeah...It was noisy here too....Not comfortable operating.....Steve
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:38 PM »

There was quite a line of T-storms building over the last couple days, a lot of static here especially last night. Fortunately the rain and lightning stayed to the north, we only got wind.

Looks like cold air pushing down from Canada, so things should quiet down over the next few days.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »

We had severe wind gusts all day yesterday, up to 50 mph.  Two power outages, a 2-hour one in the morning and the power went out again about 3 PM and didn't come back on until after 10 PM.

While the power was out, a tree blew down and took down the beverage antenna again!  So with little else to do with no electric power, I got my chain saw running and cut up the fallen tree and resurrected the antenna for the fourth time in less than a month.

Invigorating to say the least, sawing tree trunks and climbing ladders in 50 mph winds.  At least the temps were in the 60's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015