The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:45:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring Apache TX-1  (Read 21005 times)
AB3FL
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »

The apache LIVES!   I was on 3885 last night to get a quality report.  Not too scratchy, but limited audio bandwidth.  Time to do the W3SCC mods!

thanks for all of the help!

Tom - AB3FL

I may be a no code extra, but I can fix a boatanchor!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 09:11:33 AM »

Tom said:
The apache LIVES!   I was on 3885 last night to get a quality report.  Not too scratchy, but limited audio bandwidth.  Time to do the W3SCC mods!

Those mods are easy to do and "non-invasive" meaning you don't have to drill or move stuff!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »

Why not try a TV "damper tube" (diode) in series with the output end of your SS rectifiers? Low drop across it, and gives you the slow turn on, without the limited max current of the 5R4, and since you only need one you now have an "extra" space/socket for whatever you want to put there.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AB3FL
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »

I think that I will keep the tubes, but maybe fuse the lines so if there is a short, it will blow the fuse instead of the transformer or anythis else......1A fuses should be good on the LV lines and the HV lines...

Tom - AB3FL
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »

I may be a no code extra, but I can fix a boatanchor!

Tom, you'll find that around here (as opposed to some other forums), it matters not what your code ability may or may not be.  See my signature below  Grin

It's how you progress, learn, and help others that counts more!  Welcome to AM.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AB3FL
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »

Mods have been done......some of a qso the other night

me: I am on a Scratchy Apache with the W3SCC mods
other: Well....that Apache is no longer scratchy....It sounds great

This was from someone running Berhinger mics, sound processing, etc.   

I am now working on a Mohawk

Tom -AB3FL
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

Tom -AB3FL

God save your soul in polishing that turd

There was a 3-part article in Electric Radio some years ago in getting the Mohack up to scratch.   Lot of work, but it is a very cool looking receiver and would be a worthy effort to match your Apache.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Fred k2dx

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »

Yes, they are certainly an attractive pair. Polish the knobs in a tumbler... very easy and impressive results. (see Eastwood.com for a tumbler)

AB3FL
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

The Mohawk actually looks perfect....Not a scratch on it (it was painted) and shiney chrome knobs.  I have the EM issues with the K6AD mods which most of them are already done to it.  The only problem that I am having with it is static from somewhere in the 50KC IF section.  I will post pictures soon.

Tom - AB3FL

Tom -AB3FL

God save your soul in polishing that turd

There was a 3-part article in Electric Radio some years ago in getting the Mohack up to scratch.   Lot of work, but it is a very cool looking receiver and would be a worthy effort to match your Apache.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

Wow, yuo're really going to town with that pair - congrats!  Gonna be a sweet looking and performing station when you're done.

K7NCR
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »

I do love my pair. Maybe an Indian to Indian QSO sometime after I get my wire up,,,
73! Norm K7NCR

* Indian station.JPG (366.93 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 488 times.)
AB3FL
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »

Most definetly.....

I do love my pair. Maybe an Indian to Indian QSO sometime after I get my wire up,,,
73! Norm K7NCR
AB3FL
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »

as i promised.....Here is station AB3FL.....

Also (I know lame), but does anyone know of a digital frequency display unit that can interface to the Mohawk.   I can use my pro III, but I would rather have something directly connected to the Mohawk.  All 3 units work perfectly.....I have received great reports on the apache.   If you would like to sked a QSO, please let me know.   I really want to know how well I did.....

thanks

Tom - AB3FL.......No Code Extra, but I can restore, fix, operate a boatanchor!

* IMG_0093.JPG (1789.09 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 486 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »

Tom - AB3FL.......No Code Extra, but I can restore, fix, operate a boatanchor!

Which is really all we care about here, Tom. Working with the stuff and being on the air beats the hell out of sitting around festering over the way things 'should' be, used to be, etc. Life is short, radio is fun.

Nice looking station, hope to work you once I get back on the air. In case you don't already realize it, beware: the old gear really grows on you, and around you, and grows, and grows...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

Tom, great little inexpensive freq counter kit that is programmable to ANY IF freq

http://www.pongrance.com/

And like I said before, it matters not your CW ability on this forum.  You passed the exam fair 'n' square - no need to be apologetic about being a NCE.  You are a prime example of why the bitter old buzzards pissing and moaning about the exit of the CW exam are dead wrong.

AB3FL
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »

thanks all.....I am probably one of the youngest OM running boatanchors.....

Tom - AB3FL - 1971 vintage
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »

got me beat at 1963.  Cool
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:22 AM »

ALthough I'm somewhat of an old buzzard now I got into boatanchors at 15 with the purchase of a cherry NC-173.

You done good with that combo.  Especially the Mo-hack - those mods are quite extensive. 

Hope to hear ya on the air.  Check out 3733 every afternoon, bunch of us get together down there.

AB3FL
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »

still working on the mohawk mods.  I have most of them done.  I need to get the fets and the zeners for the agc and detector mods.. but I finally found them, so next week that will be done.  Also as for temp compensation mods, I might not even do them.  They look a little too extensive and time consuming, just so you dont have to move the vfo a little

Tom - AB3FL
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »

A giant PITA temp compensating any VFO.  If you're gonna use it mostly on the lower bands there's probably no need to do it.

AB3FL
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »

yeah.....i intend to use it mainly on 80 and 40.   I have the PRO III for the higher bands

Tom - AB3FL

I will look for you allo on 3733 today
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

bout 4 or 5 you should hear some activity down there

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015