The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laura L. Smith Named to Amateur Radio Enforcement Role  (Read 15862 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 26, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »

From the ARRL web site dated 1/26/09

Laura L. Smith of Pennsylvania has been named by the FCC to fill the vacancy created when Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, retired in 2008 as Special Counsel for the Spectrum Enforcement Division of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau.

For more of the story, go here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/01/26/10587/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

...not a ham, not good.
...appointed under Martin, not good.
not good.

maybe we get lucky, doubtful.

_-_-

PS. guess the ARRL forgot to suggest that the person appointed also already have a ham license? Hmmm...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »

does this mean I cant carry on like a loon anymore?
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »

Not a ham, yes I agree this is not a good sign.
Riley was a ham, and as such he had the understanding as to the nature and mindset of the hobby.
Looks like she had it pretty good in the private sector, see CV below.
Wonder who she ticked off to get this gig?  Huh

This new appointee's CV reads like big business, and I imagine she'll have a hard time
figuring out the like of "BHV" and K1MAN. Will seem like kids in a sandbox to her...oh wait,
they seem like kids in the sandbox to me too!  Wink

Here former gig as President and CEO -->> http://www.ita-relay.com/about/about.html

LAURA L. SMITH, serves as Of Counsel to Shulman Rogers on telecommunications matters and provides counsel to numerous entities in the private radio and public safety communities.  Ms. Smith began working for the Federal Communications Commission in 1990 and during her tenure there, worked in the Mass Media Bureau, the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and served as Deputy Division Chief of the Public Safety and Private Wireless Division.

Ms. Smith joined the Industrial Telecommunications Association (ITA) as Executive Director of Governmental Affairs in 1998, monitoring FCC and legislative proceedings and participating in all regulatory proceedings relevant to the private wireless industry.  In 2001, she became President and CEO of ITA and during her tenure, was instrumental in the formation of the Consensus Group.  She is a fequent speaker at both private wireless and public safety trade shows and has served as column writer and industry consultant for a variety of trade publications such as Mobile Radio Technology Magazine and The Private Wireless Magazine.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

I wonder if she'll become a no-code tech. OMG.  Shocked  The CW freaks will lose their minds.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »

PS. guess the ARRL forgot to suggest that the person appointed also already have a ham license? Hmmm...

Like they really have a say in a government appointment. Duh  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »

does this mean I cant carry on like a loon anymore?

All you have ta do is tell 'em you  have a special constitutional licence and its O.K.

What? Me worry?
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:08:25 AM »

I wonder if she'll become a no-code tech. OMG.  Shocked  The CW freaks will lose their minds.

If she listens to many on the phone bands(especially 75), she may think we are all "freaks". Roll Eyes 
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »

Hmmm,
Perhaps I'll volunteer to become her 'liason' with the amateur community.
Go to all the festers on expense acct., smooze the ARRL, speak here and there, pretend to be a viscous scrote on the SSB freq's, apply for an OO job and other essential ham duties including hand holding when necessary.
Ought to be able to get some funding for that just like Acorn.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »

You're the "wrong" demographic to get that money. Seems you have to match the "victimhood" profile.
However, there is hope. You need only go out and sell drugs, get arrested a few times, don't work, and use illegal substances, oh, and bray loudly about being taken advantage of by "the man" and I'm sure the Acorn money will be overflowing. Having several children out of wedlock adds in bonus points. Few folks that work for a living have time to be "community organizers".
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »

Close your eyes and put yourself in her shoes for a second.
I don't think its exactly a dream gig for her.   Undecided  I think she will concentrate on enforcement
in the commercial side of her assignment.  (Land Mobile) I beleive this enforcement gig included (that Riley had )did LM service too.
1. Amateur radio is non-commercial.
2. She is not a Ham.   Shocked
3. She therefore has no clue to what the hobby is about, let alone a bunch of complaints from "cranky Ham Operators"
about frequency disputes, garbage on 20M, etc.  Huh

More glory for her in her stepping stone position by going after the commercial aspects of
enforcement.

JMHO & <2 sense>
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »

That should work for the CW weirdos. They've been victimized by the removal of the testing requirement and loss of exclusive frequencies. Oh the horror!

You're the "wrong" demographic to get that money. Seems you have to match the "victimhood" profile.
However, this is hope. You need only go out and sell drugs, get arrested a few times, don't work, and use illegal substances, bray loudly about being taken advantage of by "the man" and I'm sure the Acorn money will be overflowing. Having several children out of wedlock adds in bonus points. Few folks that work for a living have time to be "community organizers".

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »

L. C. Smith is a better enforcer......

klc

What? Me worry?
ka3zlr
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:15 AM »

Good Morning,

I've been giving this some considerable thought, looking at the stats, the backround.

All I can come up with is Somebody needs a position..., one which doesn't necessarily require a daily presence .. offers plenty of room to maneuver, still allowing the other interests to be pursued, all along collecting a stable check...I wonder....

Jack.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »

L. C. Smith is a better enforcer......

klc

I have one of those  Shocked; 12 guage double, field grade, full & modified choke.  Came from my granddad who used to use it for grouse in uplands Pa.. It's fb except for a small ding in one barrel from my brother transporting it back from Alaska.  Also a small stress crack's starting to appear in the walnut behind the receiver so I stick with low brass, lighter load shells.

Best balance, swing and c.g. of any shotgun I've ever used.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »

I wonder if Ms. Smith is any relation to a certain T. Smith??

Maybe she knows how to make 'Piss-O-Line'! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »

Shocked  The CW freaks will lose their minds.

I think that train has come and gone.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »

You're right. I made a BIG assumption that they actually had minds to lose.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."

Mr. Dan Quayle

What? Me worry?
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »

I can see that this may be a new era, things may go the complete opposite direction from what they were.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »

I can image that she probably doesn't know the difference between hams and chicken banders.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1UJR
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »

I can image that she probably doesn't know the difference between hams and chicken banders.

Then it is up to us to be civil in our reporting of QRM, and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y explain the nature of the problem, why it is a problem, and what action needs to be taken. I think Riley came into the role as an "enforcer", where as it seems that Ms. Smith have simply had it added to her plate, without any direct mandate to police and clean up the bands.

Already I've heard of SSB ops moving in on 3885, or intentionally causing malicious interference, with more than one comment made that "Riley is gone" to justify their actions.

Document, document, document. Recordings, specific notes as to call signs, date and time, frequencies affected, comments made, will all help in supporting your filing. Get your friendly neighborhood Official Observers (OO) involved as well, that is what they are there for. Most OOs are more than happy to assist if you can clearly state your case, and provide specific times to monitor.

Now is the time to hold fast, if we let things slip back to the way there were pre-Riley, its going to be near impossible to clean it back up again. The sheriff with the big stick has left town, and left it in much better order than when he came in, it is up to us to keep it that way.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »

I never had any problems preRiley. QRO and use a real receiver.
ab3al
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

I never had any problems preRiley. QRO and use a real receiver.

yeah like a flex 5000 and a henry 8k
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

Flex $5K no thanks..another spur generator.
8K no thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015