The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:29:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W7FG  (Read 10014 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: January 23, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »

It has been reported on the AM Radio reflector that Gary Gompf/W7FG is now SK.  I understand he was traveling from his home in Bartlesville, OK to somewhere in Texas when he suffered a heart attack.

I have been unable to contact his wife or another person he knows well to confirm all this but do have any reason to doubt the report.  As most of you know, Gary owned and operated W7FG Vintage Manual for may years and sold it only about 2 years ago.   He retired from Phillips Petroleum about the same time.

The manual business is now called Vintage Manuals.  Gary retained the antenna and ladder line sales and was operating that. 
K7NCR
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »

WOW! I just spoke to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago. We talked about how he wanted to move back to Libby, MT (about 60 miles from here) to retire, but couldn't afford the elevated property prices. I had started an antenna order, and stopped just short of paying by paypal till I had the money available. He called me within the hour (on a Saturday) to make sure nothing went wrong with the transaction. What a guy!
Norm
K7NCR
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:03:24 AM »

Very sorry to hear the news about Gary. Best wishes and prayers for his family.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »

I received an email from a close family friend late last night. Gary and his wife were enroute to a destination in his motor home and had stopped overnight in Henryetta, TX when he suffered the heart attack. 

I had know Gary since the mid-70s and he was a thoughtful individual.  He will be missed
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »

What a bummer.  He was a great guy, and his antenna/ladderline products were outstanding.  

SPoke to him on the phone a year or so ago - he had a couple of scrapper GPT-750s and I scored a plate tranny from him for a very reasonable price.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wb2fof

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »

Very sorry to see this. Have a bunch of his manuals . Another great guy really into supporting this "old part" of the hobby. Sad.

Bob

Bob
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »

My God.

Gary was a good friend. Many terrific QSOs. When he lived in Bartelsville, he and his lovely wife Karolena stopped by for a visit and dinner while crossing Colorado on the way to her family home in Arizona. IIRC, Gary had lost a son in an accident many years ago.

I just don't know what to say.

Jim, please pass along any info you might receive concerning services.
wa2rqy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

Oh No  Shocked
I just bought an antenna from him a few months back.
We had spoke many times on 10 meter AM in the 80's & 90's.
Also on the phone when he worked for Philips Petroleum.
Geez, I was even invited to his house out in Utah.
I will not sleep well tonight thinking of Gary. Cry
May the Lord take care of you Gary!!!
We will Pray for you 'ol pal  Cry
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »

This is happening too much.

I just lost a dear friend I had known for 51 years, exactly a week ago to-day.

I talked to Gary on 75 "down below" (or was it 160?) a couple of weeks ago.  He told me he had got rid of his big AM rig, but was running AM on a SDR, which sounded as good as his old rig did.  He told me that was his first AM QSO in a long time, but that he was planning to become more active.

To-morrow isn't guaranteed to any of us.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »

To those of you who might be able to attend Gary's memorial service, it will be Wednesday the 28th at 2 PM.  Location will be Stumpff's Funeral Home in Bartlesville.

If you wish to send a condolence card, then his wife's name is Karolena and the home address is 402731 W. 2155 Dr., Bartlesville, OK,  74006.

Gary, a long time friend of his, Bob/K5SM and I had been having nightly contacts on 160 meters this winter.  Whenever a near by hamfest was coming up, he would call and inquire if I was going to attend.  If so he would always invite my wife and me to lunch.

Gary was the kind of guy that treated everyone with respect.  I can only wish his family the best and hope the rest of us in the ham fraternity carry on the respect for others.
K7NCR
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »

Is anyone picking up his antenna business? I'll be ready here in about a week for the purchase I already set up. I assume the family could use the funds. I would hate to see it go away, Gary made a fine product!
Norm
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »

I will see if I can find out about the antenna business, but it will be a while.  Probation of wills in Oklahoma is quite a process and can take as little as 4-6 months if there is no contest.  I do hope Gary had a specific will. 

Will let everyone here know when I can get the information.

Jim/W5JO
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »

Isn't Gary the fellow who found the Bartlesville time capsule with the transmitter Brian now has? That was how I came to know of him originally. Was looking forward to finally being down south where I could have a shot at working him.

Thanks for posting this, Jim. He'll be sorely missed, on many levels by the sounds.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »

Isn't Gary the fellow who found the Bartlesville time capsule with the transmitter Brian now has? That was how I came to know of him originally.

You are correct Todd.  I first met Gary in the mid 1970s when he was employed by Phillips Petroleum and he was purchasing communications equipment for the plant in Borger, TX.  I worked for Motorola C&E at the time but we visited for a while about ham radio.  I don't recall he ever mentioning his call then.

When I saw him the next time, he was already selling manual copies and I didn't recognize the call associated with the business until he asked me if I remembered him.  He had a fantastic memory for people and circumstances.  I remember him telling me about the equipment he found in that shack and sending me pictures of it.  That was quite a find and he was glad to see Brian get that transmitter because he knew Brian would care for it.

I have lost a friend and so has ham radio.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »

Here are photos of the undisturbed Bartleville station just after the shack had been opened for the first time since the owner went to WW2.

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/redmond/699/kitchentable.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »

he made great stuff. (like my ant), which I bought when JN recommended it.

I'll get a card out to his wife an family.
W7XXX
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »

Certainly a lost! Gary's contributions to amateur radio were many. I have lost many ham friends at too young an age. Truly upsetting about Gary. I have had several qso's with him over the years and every time it seemed he attracted other AM'ers to join the group which usually ended up much to large. He was well liked. My best to his family and close friends. Another silent mic but his contributions will live on.

my favorite photo from his site.

http://www.w7fg.net/ladder/totower.JPG
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »

For a while, Gary had a cage, or 'sausage' antenna up and running, IIRC, something like 4 feet in diameter with spreaders made from Hula Hoops. I was impressed with the bandwidth he reported.

I was tempted to try one here, but too much windload to survive our winter winds.
K7NCR
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »

I FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER REFLECTOR. SET UP BY HIS DAUGHTER,,
http://garygompfw7fg.blogspot.com/2009/01/gary-gompf-w7fg-1948-2009.html
I HOPE THE LINK WORKS.
NORM K7NCR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015