The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:11:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More stuff again......  (Read 21437 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »

Id like to see Jay do a SX-88 test. I was not particularly impressed with the one I had and gave it to my parents for general BCB and SW AM listening in the late 60's.

Dad was gone and mom gave it back in 98 as it barely worked. Never been retubed or recapped but was absolutely mint cosmetically. Got big bucks on Ebay shortly after in its original condition.

Carl
KM1H
kc2ifr
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 04:50:49 PM »

Steve,
If I were to say my name is Bill.....................would u agree?Huh?
kc2ifr
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Hi Dave,
Well its a strange story. The seller (Dona) doesnt seem to know how epay works. When I received the confirmation from the seller, it listed the sellers email address. Any questions I had about shipping, did u receive my paypal money, etc I sent to the sellers email, not thru epay and all went unanswered. I finally said I would cancel my purchase unless I heard something from the seller.
FINALLY the seller answered my emails saying she (he) doesnt check her email because there are so many of them!!!!! She just deletes them!!! Why dont I use epay.......not her email. Now keep in mind when u deal on epay you have the option of not showing your email address to the buyer but that was not the case here.
Anyway.......the receiver is on its way......I hope!
Let me post one of her replys to my email.............
everytime i check my email 500 emails from ebay to go through so i erase all the send you a email for everything here

More to come....... 
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

FINALLY the seller answered my emails saying she (he) doesnt check her email because there are so many of them!!!!! She just deletes them!!! Why dont I use epay.......not her email. Now keep in mind when u deal on epay you have the option of not showing your email address to the buyer but that was not the case here.
Anyway.......the receiver is on its way......I hope!
Let me post one of her replys to my email.............
everytime i check my email 500 emails from ebay to go through so i erase all the send you a email for everything here

More to come....... 

Strange seller indeed - he/she just deletes all the emails ref Ebay. They don't rate a 5 for communications - thats for sure.

Keep us informed and good luck!

---Dave  W3NP
kc2ifr
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »

Dave,
Another reply I received.......
i supppoossed you will rate me bad on communication because you was trying to contact me outside of ebay imagine that

Hmmmmmmm,

Bill
WB2YGF
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »

In her defense, EVERY message (sent AND received) sent via eBay is copied to her email.  Therefore, she would have to read through both sets of duplicate emails in both inboxes in order to find any unique messages that didn't go through eBay.  It's either that, or delete her eBay inbox in bulk and there may be reasons for not wanting to do that like eBay only counting internal messages as legitimate in a dispute.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »

That's just your opinion.   Grin

Enjoy your 75A-4. I'm enjoying my 51J-4. Irb enjoyed his oatmeal each morning.

Hope you get the HRO.

Steve,
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »

That's just your opinion.   Grin

Enjoy your 75A-4. I'm enjoying my 51J-4. Irb enjoyed his oatmeal each morning.

Hope you get the HRO.

I love the smell of oatmeal in the morning.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »

I love the smell of oatmeal in the morning.

As long as it is liberally covered with New England honey or maple syrup. One of my alternate favorites is Farina (with real milk) and raisins. Both make me raring to go and jump into the vintage F-250 and plow the yard Grin

Carl
KM1H

kc2ifr
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »

Carl,
Farina...........I havent had that stuff since I was a kid!!!!!! I also like Cream of Wheat with maple surple and milk....yum yum!

Bill
w1vtp

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »

In her defense, EVERY message (sent AND received) sent via eBay is copied to her email.  Therefore, she would have to read through both sets of duplicate emails in both inboxes in order to find any unique messages that didn't go through eBay.  It's either that, or delete her eBay inbox in bulk and there may be reasons for not wanting to do that like eBay only counting internal messages as legitimate in a dispute.

My 2 cents - If the seller sells in relatively large volume -- if the seller is concerned about in or out of eBay messages settling disputes, I can see the seller's reason for deleting external emails.  I have seen both preferences from sellers.  I'm thinking that we should be a little flexible and give a little to the seller as long as he/she does answer my questions

Bill -- did you get that HRO yet?

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »

It is?? That's not what I heard on 3880...

[preemptive disclaimer: Bill, I was just bustin' on ya, yankin' yer chain, referencing your pal in 3 Land, etc etc. Any similarity to characters either living or dead is purely coincidental]

Steve a.k.a. Collins Hater #2: Just toss that J-4 in when you come down and I'll help clear up your conflicts and inner demons.  Grin

Johnny (a.k.a. Collins Hater #1, Mr PTO Assassin, eats puppies for lunch, etc) has a very nice assembly of high end receivers including many Collins rigs. As he said (to me, previously, in private), they are FB rigs for communications work, which is what they were built for (as opposed to hi-fi entertainment). But when you look at what you can get for the price of a 75A-4 ham bands-only receiver or 51S-1, well.... some folks just gotta have it.

Although $600 for an HRO-60 that may or may not materialize has gotta be right up there too.  Keep us posted, OM Wink

Sincerely,

Art's Biggest Fan, a.k.a. Collins Worshipper #1, Collins makes you smarter, blinded by the big, red meatball, nothing else will do, ever (Hammar-who?)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kc2ifr
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »

Well.......my worst fears came true. The radio arrived all bent up thanks to UPS. Well.....its not all the fault of UPS......the sellers packing was a complete joke. I will post some pics of the poor radio tomorrow.......
I'll explain how the transaction went down when I post the pics.

Just sick to see such a nice radio screwed up,
Bill Cry
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »

Bill...Sorry to hear about the HRO. Hope the insurance works out okay.

On big items one may want to consider having UPS do the packing - especially if you don't trust the seller to do a good job. The seller just drops it off at the UPS location and they do the rest. Just did this with an SX-28A I bought recently and it arrived in excellent condition - bubble wrapped and double boxed. UPS charged $25 for the packaging job.

The box had several wraps of official UPS 'info tape' for overweight and fragile merchandise. Perhaps the drivers pay attention to the official UPS tape and are especially careful - or I just got lucky. If UPS does the packaging and there's damage it's probably a lot easier to get them to pay off on the claim.

Carl...I'd love to test an SX-88...and a number of other receivers that I haven't had a chance to 'torture' yet. An RCA CR-88A is supposed to show up. R4 and R4B coming up soon. 

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
kc2ifr
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »

Jeesss,
UPS will not pay because of the bad packing. I posted a complaint with paypal because the seller will not reply to my emails. We shall see what happens.

Im still sick when I look at the radio Cry
Bill
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »

Jay, the UPS Stores are not owned or controlled in any way by UPS. Ive had UPS Store bubble wrapped stuff arrive damaged and claims denied since it was not adequately packed.

You HAVE to read the UPS packing guidelines and follow to the letter to be covered. Bubble wrap is specifically verbotten on "heavy and valuable" items. Double boxing with hard foam is the only way to go. Use bubble wrap only to protect the finish from scratching.  FedWrex and USPS also have specific rules. Most of the damage I get on incoming is from FedWrex. I ship only UPS and do it the right way and have had no problems. Maybe 2 claims in 10 years and Im a high volume shipper (mostly non radio)

Carl
KM1H
WA1GFZ

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »

I always build a solid wood crate when I ship a high end radio. FED EX never broke anything I ever shipped. Universal Package Smashers I do not use ever since they broke a beautiful GPT Tank circuit on me coming from Fair Radio.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

I worked at FEDEX for 3 yrs while in college.  The system is DESIGNED to smash packaged due to the large expected throughput and low manpower applied.  Can you catch 300  10lb packages coming down the belt at a quick clip AND stack them neatly in the truck/container  oh, they are all different shapes and you have to maximize the Cube (fill it up) or you'll get heat from the boss.  Then toss in a 60lb thing in a flimsy box.  It WILL hit the floor and become the base of the next pile -OR- it will land on TOP of everything else if the can is nearly full. 

A good rule of thumb is, if you can't drop the package from 5 ft to a hard floor with out damage DONT SHIP IT.

Of course there is the occasional forklift Tine that will get through anything (saw that once too).   Roll Eyes

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »

I always build a solid wood crate when I ship a high end radio. FED EX never broke anything I ever shipped. Universal Package Smashers I do not use ever since they broke a beautiful GPT Tank circuit on me coming from Fair Radio.

Think back a little over a year to how FedwrEX handled my mod iron, Frank: mounted on a board, double boxed with sheet foam and other packing between, 45 lbs or so from Maine to VT. It arrived looking like a soccer ball with a broken cast iron frame. If I hadn't been able to find the old (2004) Peter Dahl listing online as a reference for value, they wouldn't have paid. As it was, it took several months between Gary and I calling and emailing them. UPS has never smashed anything shipped to me. That doesn't make them any better or worse than other shippers, it just means I've been lucky.

I worked at FEDEX for 3 yrs while in college.  The system is DESIGNED to smash packaged due to the large expected throughput and low manpower applied.

That's the point so many folks seem to miss: these businesses do offer a service. The service is to move your package from point A to point B in a timely manner, not hold its hand or babysit it. They need to maximize throughput to stay in business. 

A good rule of thumb is, if you can't drop the package from 5 ft to a hard floor with out damage DONT SHIP IT.

That's pretty much how I always test, dropping it from chest high to the floor after shaking it to settle any loose packaging and adding more. If it rattles or slides around, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Of course there is the occasional forklift Tine that will get through anything (saw that once too).   Roll Eyes

And nothing can protect against that. I've seen hard cases with holes through them from the rogue forklift. Sometimes it's just your turn, as they say.

Sorry for hear that another old radio has been trashed, Bill. That means one less going into the future. You gotta wonder - considering how many radios probably got saved thanks to ebay and the internet, how many of them ended up getting trashed due to bad packing and handling?

If the seller won't settle with you after giving them documentation from FedEx stating the damage was a result of poor packing, you should be able to have Paypal refund your money based on not receiving the item you paid for.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

If its just the cabinet thats an easy fix for a bodyman. In any event parts radios are always in demand as are coils and accessories.

Even a chassis can be straightened so you would never know it was hit.

Carl
KM1H

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015