The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:39:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More stuff again......  (Read 21439 times)
kc2ifr
« on: December 28, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »

Got this on epay.........when it arrives I hope all will be good.
If it dont work.....im sure fixing it wont be a big problem. The cosmetic condition is great and the coils are included.
I could not pass it up........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320326513480

Bill
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »

Nice catch Bill....Looks like all it Lacks is useage... Cheesy

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

Interesting,

The upper deck's clean as a whistle,
The lower deck has dust layer, even on the tubes.

Looks like it's all there.  Neat-O !

RICK  *W3RSW*
KG6UTS
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »

Got this on epay.....I could not pass it up........
Bill
[/quote]

WAHZOO! Nice receiver, even has the two speed Xtal cababulator installed.

EdZ KG6UTS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »

Power xformer is the weak point.  Also has Black Beauties (or similar) tubular capacitors on the HV secondary to ground - if they short or leak, bye bye xformer.  I had one that had a hidden open in the wire going to the on/off switch that caused the previous owner to toss the power tranny, thinking it was bad.  I installed a new one and it *still* didn't work, that took a bit of puzzling to find.

Tunable hum on the top band was a problem I had with one.  Fix was to separate the common ground on the fil pin of the LO tube and run a separate ground so it's not going thru the cathode and suppressor grid pins, as I recall.

Finally I had one where every single 22K resistor was bad.  All others were OK FINE, so this bears checking.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
kc2ifr
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »

Thanks for the info John.
The reason I posted my acquisition was to get some remarks as to the pitfalls of the receiver.
The thing looks to good to be true!!! This should complete my receiver collection which includes the following:

R390A
75A4
NC303
SP600JX17
HRO-60

And a few riceboxes for good luck Roll Eyes

OOPS....forgot to add my computer receiver.....a Win Radio G313e which is what I use to record u guys but its not in the shack.....

Bill

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »

The hassle I had with the National was the changing of the coils.

The tuning mechanism is very nice and smooth.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

I had one of them in the past, what a fine receiver it is!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »

Bill,

Enjoy your new receiver! the HRO's perform well and look nice.  Check for a .1 capacitor from one side of the HV secondary to ground and if it is in there still clip it out.  It serves no useful purpose but it is a leading cause of dead transformers in the HRO-50/60 series when it goes leaky/short.

The tuning should feel pretty smooth and if it doesn't you may need to renew the lube in the right angle reduction drive.  If it still feels stiff then the bearing blocks at the two ends of the capacitor assembly also need attention.  A properly operating drive turns freely although it won't spin from end to end like the NC-100 family which uses the "HRO type" dial but with an inline reduction drive which has far less drag than the perpendicular drive assembly.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
kc2ifr
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

Hmmmm,
There is a  possibly that I might get screwed by this guy. I have sent him at least 5  emails and got no response. If u look at at the 75a4 he is selling u will see that there are NO filters installed in the receiver.
He does say u get what u see. I told him if I dont get an answer to my emails I will cancel my bid.
We will see how it goes........
Another jerk.....I just can believe he will not answer any emails.........oh well
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Collins-75A-4-Receiver-Ham-Tube-Radio-Hamms_W0QQitemZ320328903212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320328903212&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Bill
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »

Bill

Nice receiver - especially on cw! The i-f bandwidth in the widest position is pretty narrow making it less than ideal for AM, though. Check out the AM audio frequency response.

http://www.w1vd.com/NationalHRO-60.html

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »

It is the holiday season, I'd give him a bit of a chance yet.

That 75A-4 not only has no filters, it's missing a bunch of tubes, has a bunch of wires cut, has a missing tube socket, and one IF can is loose.  I offered him $250 the last time he had this up and he just laughed.  Someone bought it for $800 but I see it's up again.

Honestly I don't think it's even worth $250.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »

might stay away from a picker that says "hamms" that's selling radio gear. Roll Eyes

doctors appt Jan 5th - see why I feel so crappy lately I hope....
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »

Why would you want a 75A-4?

That 75A-4 not only has no filters, it's missing a bunch of tubes, has a bunch of wires cut, has a missing tube socket, and one IF can is loose.  I offered him $250 the last time he had this up and he just laughed.  Someone bought it for $800 but I see it's up again.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »

>>    Feedback: 93.3 % Positive  <<

klc

What? Me worry?
K1ZJH

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »

What about the four 3B28 rectifiers he has up?  $400.00 BIN!!!
What a deal!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-4-Radio-Amplifier-Transmitter-Tubes-GE-3B28-NOS_W0QQitemZ320326579330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item320326579330
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »

"  What about the four 3B28 rectifiers he has up?  $400.00 BIN!!! ""

Must be on narcotics.

klc

What? Me worry?
kc2ifr
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »

Man....I love it when folks criticize someones other opinions. These folks try to imply your an idiot without considering why u happen to like a certain piece of equipment. My 75a4 is my best battle receiver.......In battle conditions audio fidelity goes right out the freeken window. I know the restrictions of all the receivers  I have. I just want to own them........................sorrta like  owning an antique car.
Again we get back to opinions...........they are like ass hol*** every one has one!!!!!
Bill
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »

Yo, Bill.  Your MSDS ways are showing again. Read what I wrote and who it was directed at. I'll help you out. My comment directed at W3JN. The clue was that I quoted his comment on the 75A-4. Why are you responding when the comment was directed at Johnny?

It's a well known fact, Johnny is not a big fan of the 75A-4. Therefore, I asked why he would want one. No opinion was even expressed. Just a question.  Roll Eyes
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »

"  What about the four 3B28 rectifiers he has up?  $400.00 BIN!!! ""

Must be on narcotics.

klc

Try The Sencore 60A scope
BIN for $1,500

Last one sold on ebay for $45

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
kc2ifr
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 06:00:55 AM »

Now Steve,
I was just busting on ya..........Its a well known fact that for whatever reason, u dont like Collins and thats fine....I dont care who likes what..........thats what makes the world go round. The point I was trying to make is that every receiver has its good points and its bad and if someone happens to like a particular receiver for whatever reason that should not make that person a target for unsolicited opinions.
Sorry if my opinion offends anyone but it wasn't meant to.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »

Bill,
What's the latest on your HRO-60 purchase?

---Dave  W3NP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »

Why would you want a 75A-4?

I love a challenge  Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:47 AM »

LOL. That "well-known fact" is neither well-known or factual. I own two Collins radios and like them both. My main receiver for the last 5 years has been a 51J-4.

You opinion doesn't offend me. How could it? We're talking about radios here, not anything important. Grin

Now Steve,
I was just busting on ya..........Its a well known fact that for whatever reason, u dont like Collins and thats fine....I dont care who likes what..........thats what makes the world go round. The point I was trying to make is that every receiver has its good points and its bad and if someone happens to like a particular receiver for whatever reason that should not make that person a target for unsolicited opinions.
Sorry if my opinion offends anyone but it wasn't meant to.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »

BTW I like COllins radios just fine; I have a full S-line including a 51S-1, a 51J-4, a 651S-1, a passel of R-39X receivers, and a HF-380.  The 75A-4 is a pretty damn good receiver in the scheme of things.  My point, as repeatedly expressed, is that it's not a great AM receiver and it is an especially poor value for that purpose considering its high cost/performance ratio.  The SX-88 (another FB receiver) is an even poorer value although it's a very good performer on AM.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015