The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Rally and Year End Celebration of AM, 1x1 Callsigns  (Read 33820 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: December 17, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »

Well, I just received notification that I will be granted use of W9T again this year for the Heavy Metal Rally Celebration.  Hope to hear some more 1x1 calls, got yours yet?  I will be operating with the special call sign W9T from 12-19-08 thru 1-2-09.

73,  Jack, W9GT / W9T

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »

Good for you Jack.  Didn't catch any write-up or "call to arms" in my latest ER. But then again I always get mine late.  I was W8R last year but don't think I'll bother to register this time.

Only a few 2007 logs were sent to ER.  I think most of the fun is just working the contacts when a lot of AM is on the air.  Also one guy who promoted heavy metal doesn't seem to hang out here lately.  Probably just me, but a little luster seems to have wafted away from the contest.

Eyore  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »

Look for W7W from Tum Tum, WA
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »

Good for you Jack.  Didn't catch any write-up or "call to arms" in my latest ER. But then again I always get mine late.  I was W8R last year but don't think I'll bother to register this time.

Only a few 2007 logs were sent to ER.  I think most of the fun is just working the contacts when a lot of AM is on the air.  Also one guy who promoted heavy metal doesn't seem to hang out here lately.  Probably just me, but a little luster seems to have wafted away from the contest.

Eyore  Grin

The write-up was in the November issue of ER....perhaps that was a mistake as some might forget about it.  Heavy Metal Rally is Dec. 27.  Great fun...lots of AM operation leading up to , as well as following the actual event.  It's very easy to apply for a 1 x1 call and it makes a great PR statement for AM, with many special event calls showing up on AM during the holidays.  Check out the site:
http://www.ncvec.org/1x1.php

Only takes a day or two to get call.  Use Heavy Metal Rally as event.

73,  Jack, W9GT / W9T

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »

I expect to be back on the air for both the H.M.R. as well as Straight Key (that on/off digital mode) Night as W3G again this year...

Lots of fun in both cases...

" Also one guy who promoted heavy metal doesn't seem to hang out here lately"

Yeah, what ever happened to Paul?

PS:   UPDATE!  Received conformation, W3G issued for 23 Dec 08 thru 3 Jan 09...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W7XXX
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »

Look for W7Z  all homebrew AM. They would not issue W7X.

* w7xxx forum.jpg (106.64 KB, 386x350 - viewed 507 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »

"X" already taken?

"Z's" good, - last letter and all.  We should petition FCC for Greek letters; then you'd get Omega.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W7XXX
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

X wasn't taken, they said that X wasn't being issued following a number. Much like the old days when X immediately after the number was reserved for experimental stations. Only in the 90's did they change that ruling, but apparently it still applies to special event stations. It took me by surprise as the FCC has changed about every other old rule.
WV Hoopie
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »

Craig from Springfield, OR. will be on the air that day using the 1X1, K7K.

73's
wd8kdg
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »

Special event station KOA will be transmitting from Kansas City.
                                                                    73's
                                              Kilowatt-alpha-zero-amplitude-radio-amateur
                                                                    Mike

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

Will you be running 50 kW?
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

Only... in my dreams Grin

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
K9ACT
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »

Only a few 2007 logs were sent to ER.

Only?  I don't know much about contesting but 2007..... oh nevermind!

I was about to say that 2007 was an amazing number of logs for our minuscule population.  Then the coincidence of the number with the year and, well you get the idea.

I was also going to suggest that it would have been nice to post the results here for those who do not subscribe to ER.

I kept a log but it sort of got in the way of the fun and I never submitted it.

I applied for K9A about this time last night and I see tonight that I have it again as of 12/21.

Got the 8000's all tweaked up for mine sweeper duty from the boonies of Illinois.

See you all there,

Jack

K3ZS

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »

How do you send greek letter omega in CW?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »

sorry Jackson,  contest results were early 2008. Oh well, the contest was in 2007.

Omega, I guess just an "O."  Grin

OK, you guys, you shamed me into it. I just applied for W8R.
We'll have fun regardless.
Always fun to work the tall ships.
The new twin 813 rig will resound in all it's glory.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W7XXX
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »

The 75 m band sounds lousy here this AM 0600. I am xtal controlled starting at 3780 and have xtals every 20 kc up to 3840 then every 10 kc to 3860 and then every 5 kc starting at 3865. Hope you hear some of you on AM with 1 x 1's in the AM Dec. 26-30.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

Can anyone advise what time the Heavy Metal Rally begins on 12/27?  I did'nt see the start time in the issue of ER that announced the HMR. Or maybe I did'nt look hard enough.

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »

Usually tall ships operate on 160, 80 and sometimes 40.
I guess that sometime in the afternoon of the 27th or early evening, 80 is available for the contest.  160 comes in later, pretty much after dark. Given that it's winter and in a sunspot minimum, the contest will 'start' pretty early in the afternoon.  I started at 5:00pm last year I think.

It is very informal.  -some guys don't even realize (or care) that it's a contest. some may have started before others keep 'official' logs. , don'cha know...  Grin

Gud luk in the c, om. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »

Gud luk in the c, om. 

Hello Rick!!

I hate contests!!!!  Operating events are fine and I consider this to be the later. I do wished it were called the AM Jamboree instead of it's current moniker. Remember the Jamborees of the Press Exchange days?  What fun they were. Seems like they were band specific with the biggest being just after Thanksgiving on 75 meters.

Maybe catch you on the air om.

---Dave  W3NP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »

Hi Dave, long time no see.

BBQ pork sandwiches at Bowie anyone?
Dave eats 'em.  Sings well too.  Grin

Yeah, the heavy metal rally is supposed to be taller ships, like you have rather than an AM press=exchange.
See ya on the air OM

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »

Heard some of the slopbuckets p$##ing and moaning tonight about those AMers having heavy metal night.  They can't seem to get the message that the easiest way to get rid of "interference" from AM is to just move to another part of the band.  .....probably the turtle guy and his buddies. Huh
W7XXX
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 09:06:42 AM »

I have been calling cq heavy metal AM on 3820 and 3840 this AM at 0500-0600 and only come back was a slopbucket ... I couldn't understand his moaning as I haven't installed the BFO transformer in my homebrew receiver yet. I wish we could have heavy metal AM every 10 kc of the phone band and the super slop buckets could take a day or so off.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

I hate contests!!!!  Operating events are fine and I consider this to be the later. I do wished it were called the AM Jamboree instead of it's current moniker. Remember the Jamborees of the Press Exchange days?  What fun they were. Seems like they were band specific with the biggest being just after Thanksgiving on 75 meters.

Maybe catch you on the air om.

Dave, you had a nice signal into here last night on 3695.  I listened for a while, but just as soon as I retuned the rig to frequency, I heard you say you were signing out, so I just listened and did not try to break in.

Looking forward to this evening, but my hopes are not too high; QRN condx may suck:
   Today
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Breezy. Unseasonably warm. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 15 to 25 mph. Gusts around 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent.
   Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Lows in the mid 40s. South winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph shifting to the west 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »

Dave, you had a nice signal into here last night on 3695.  I listened for a while, but just as soon as I retuned the rig to frequency, I heard you say you were signing out, so I just listened and did not try to break in.

Looking forward to this evening, but my hopes are not too high; QRN condx may suck:
   Today
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Breezy. Unseasonably warm. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 15 to 25 mph. Gusts around 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent.
   Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Lows in the mid 40s. South winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph shifting to the west 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Don - If you had broken in I would have stayed on awhile. Been a long time since I have worked you. The last time was on CW I think.

---Dave  W3NP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

Why wait until tonight? I worked W9A, W3G last night, after midnight. I think I already have 5000 points!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015