The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:44:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Rally and Year End Celebration of AM, 1x1 Callsigns  (Read 33734 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Later in the evening, Ka8WCK, KA1KAQ, AB3AL, W3SLK, WA2PJP, Ka8WCK, W2XI, W2R again, W3D, WB0JZG, W3A, W3G (Hi Ralph!), N4VMY, N4AK, WB3HUZ (for the zillionth time OM)  KB3AHE in and out.

W8R, Rick

You are REALLY getting out well if you worked N4VMY.

Indeed, you'd have to get out the ground penetrating radar for that one.  Bill's been a SK since July.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »

I think Rick was hittng the bottle hard that evening. KA1KAQ isn't on the air, he was on the phone, and Bill KA8WTK was there but not ka8wCk. - -- -  then Bill vmy?HuhHuh?

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »

I think Rick was hittng the bottle hard that evening. KA1KAQ isn't on the air, he was on the phone, and Bill KA8WTK was there but not ka8wCk. - -- -  then Bill vmy?

Ya Rick..... and I chatted with ya for an hour....didn't even make ur list.
What am I , chopped liver??? (hee hee)

At one point u were S9+25 ... gud siganiganal!
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

Buddly, you must have been avoiding me, didn't hear you.

Rick may have been looking at last year's log.  I was W9T last year also.  Shocked Smiley

73,  Jack, W9GT / W9T

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

uh, er...
You are REALLY getting out well if you worked N4VMY.
& Indeed, you'd have to get out the ground penetrating radar for that one.  Bill's been a SK since July.[

Hey, I tole you loggin' was loose  Grin     Uh, did I work you Gary?  um hmmm?   who was imbibing and when?
yeah, must have been hittin' sumpin.'

probably wrote down conversations.  - Bill Deker, N4VMY  RIP OM, my apologies.
guess I won't be turning anything in to ER.
Hey buddly, "can't catch every fish in the sea.". as the cop told me after questioning 'why me?'
So sorry, consider yourself logged.  Anyone else I missed or added, just consider the fun quotient.

8R

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 08:25:52 PM »

I didn't get any contest flavor.  Not sure what you are talking about Frank. The band was very quiet in the 3700 region and lots of contacts made in a very laid back QSO mode. At one time there was three different QSOs going on. If you stayed up in the ghetto, then you got what you deserved. Move out to the burbs and enjoy a drink and a cigar on the back deck. No stray bullets from the drive -bys.

Stations Worked at HUZ Radio (and no, contrary to some reports, I wasn't in contest mode or going for "the win". Been there, done that, got the trophy).

KD3CN
W3G
KB3AHE
W3JN
W8R
K3ZRF
W3JN
W2XR
W2R

W2R
W8A
W9T
KC8ZUL
N1YTN
W9QI
W9GY
W1IA
W0XV
K1KBW
W0VMC

WA2PJP
WD8BIL
W3JN
W2XR
W1GUD
W8R
AB3AL
WB0JZG
N4AK
W1E
W3NP
W3G
W2JBL
F6AQK
K4KYV

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

" if'n you show me yours..."

gonna turn yours in Steve?

Should've taped you; I didn't know anyone could speed talk that fast.
(I know. - you probably taped yourself  Grin)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »

No, didn't keep a log, just wrote down calls. Already have a trophy. Don't need another one.

" if'n you show me yours..."

gonna turn yours in Steve?

Should've taped you; I didn't know anyone could speed talk that fast.
(I know. - you probably taped yourself  Grin)

* hmrtrophy.jpg (982.84 KB, 2112x1012 - viewed 427 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »

No, didn't keep a log, just wrote down calls. Already have a trophy. Don't need another one.

hmmmmm....... I do see a list from 3.880?? looks like you wuz vizitin the poor side of the tracks as well!!  Shocked Shocked  And. errr, furthermore........... I worked you down on 3705.
(Hey Buddly, I guess we're both chopped liva)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And as far as not keeping your log, thatz a terrible thing when you dont have a log Grin Grin

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »

....and take that Williamsport.

You guys crack me up  Shocked

Had a very nice old buzzardly QSO with Don, KYV last night on 3705, (I think, whar's my sippin w.).  Very gentlemanly. He even started dinny for his wiffen who was returning from the rock piles of heavy work.  Now that's a ham.  As opposed to Steve's contest mode, the average turnaround was 10 minutes.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1IA

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »

I had fun...didn't bother keeping track..Keith and I ended up rag chewin at the top of the band. Contest Smontest..who cares.
Just good hearing all those strapping signals on the band.
Well back to trying to repair all the broken ants.

W1(Icey Antenna)

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »

Yep, I visited the ghetto. But when it got crowded and noisy, I left. Why P&M when you can find a clear frequency. A VFO is a wonderful thing.

hmmmmm....... I do see a list from 3.880?? looks like you wuz vizitin the poor side of the tracks as well!!  Shocked Shocked  And. errr, furthermore........... I worked you down on 3705.
(Hey Buddly, I guess we're both chopped liva)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And as far as not keeping your log, thatz a terrible thing when you dont have a log Grin Grin

the Slab Bacon
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »

I think Rick was hittng the bottle hard that evening. KA1KAQ isn't on the air, he was on the phone, and Bill KA8WTK was there but not ka8wCk. - -- -  then Bill vmy?HuhHuh?

AMers, I tell ya.  Grin

Jen and I ended up making a last minute road trip to Tampa, got home around 8:30 after things were rolling along nicely. Immediately went to the 80m portion and found a great group on 3705 including 'INR, 'PJP, 1x1 'RSW, 'HUZ, 'GMS and others. Called 'PJP on the LL due to no ants in the air, letting him know that yes - he makes the trip to 4-Land jes' fine. Talked with him while he was on the air (distracting? me?) and got to check in W3GMS via landline when 'PJP wasn't sure who it went to. To which 'GMS responded "It's pretty sad when a SWL has to phone in your place in the QSO". Funny moment, right up there with Johnny Novice's comment to the affect of "Todd needs to get off his ass and get an antenna up". Jen spit her Saranac brew with that comment and said 'yes he does!'. I think she misses her guest appearances.

Couldn't hear the 'HUZman well at first, but he came booming in later when Joe and I ended the phone call. Too close in apparently earlier on. Tried out 160 and could barely make out Frank 'GFZ.

So from north-central NC on the R-390A, keeping in mind the shoestring inside antenna about 15 feet long in a coil, from memory:

WB3HUZ
W3JN
W2INR
WA2PJP
W3GMS
W2XR
KB3AHE
W8? (W3RSW?)
WA1GFZ
WD8BIL
KD0HG
W1E
KA8WTK
K0JZJ(?)
others whose calls escape me

Hands down channel master at my location was Gary, W2INR followed by WA2PJP, W3GMS, and W2XR. Later in the evening when the band shortened up a bit Steve 'HUZ was da boss. Was pleased to hear Buddly 'BIL coming in so well, and Bill 'WTK who usually runs 100w or so? Really surprised to hear Bill KD0HG as well as I did considering my situation here. Not strong, but good, loud audio, perfectly readable.

Jen had a good time listening in. We cracked a couple cold ones, opened a can of peanuts, and listened to the wonderful audio while catching up with 'PJP via phone. A good way to unwind after driving 11 hours. It would be nice to have a follow-on event sometime during the winter in the same spirit, with the emphasis on operating and enjoying, not some perception of needing to 'win'. I didn't hear anyone striving for points on 80m, just kicking back to enjoy an evening of fun with like-minded folks.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »

Good deal Todd. Hope to hear you on the air soon.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »

Uh, Todd... you were on the phonium?
I remember now !  uh, huh.  yeah, right.  in the zone, yeah, in the zone.

- sounds like another great contest on the R390.  First thing you know you'll be gettin' a receive only transmitter like mine.   (SDR thread p&m, alternate reality on this here board.)

W8R, the other '3RSW.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »

Uh-Oh! You said contest. Shocked
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

Hey Todd,
  No 100 watts that night. I had the 4-400 rig fired-up.

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »

Uh, Todd... you were on the phonium?
I remember now !  uh, huh.  yeah, right.  in the zone, yeah, in the zone.

- sounds like another great contest on the R390.  First thing you know you'll be gettin' a receive only transmitter like mine.   (SDR thread p&m, alternate reality on this here board.)

W8R, the other '3RSW.  Grin

You musta been talking to N4VMY at the time.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K9ACT
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »

I had fun...didn't bother keeping track..Keith and I ended up rag chewin at the top of the band. Contest Smontest..who cares.

I hate to sound like a whiner but after making one transmission into your "rag chew", I was totally ignored and after attempting to break in again about 5 times, I gave up in disgust.

Trigger fingers do not make for a nice rag chew.

I put a lot of effort into promoting the Rally on the Noon Time Forum and most of what I heard the day after was problems such as this and "the same old guys who monopolize it every night were just doing more of the same".

I didn't see it quite like that and enjoyed myself but I tried to emphasize the promotion of AM as opposed to
QRO + night and I am afraid lots of budding am'ers got turned off.

I know you're a super guy Brent and don't usually operate that way but this was a special night and bla bla bla... I guess I am a whiner.

js

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »

rolled me in the aisle again.
jn said,
You musta been talking to N4VMY at the time.

Actually inbetween rolling cigars for the White House and your next farty, I operate duplex realities JN...  you know that.   Cool

RICK  *W3RSW*
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »

I would vote for Gary, W2R as the channel master using "real" tube-type heavy metal.  Much as I hate admit it, however, Steve, WA1QIX and Brent, W1IA were sounding fantastic on those Class E sand-state rigs.  Lots of great sounding signals on for Heavy Metal night...enjoyed it a lot!

73,  Jack, W9GT / W9T

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »

One way to de-contestify it would be to not have points. Then stations would not compete for points. I'm seldom on the air, but when I do, it is to talk with someone or a group for a bit and maybe earn a QSL card. I don't regularly do "field day" because it is too hectic and I do not enjoy that (I can overlook the SSB aspect, but it's also 100 degrees in Texas during that cornfest).  Anyway I'm glad yall had fun with tubes.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »

I would vote for Gary, W2R as the channel master using "real" tube-type heavy metal.  Much as I hate admit it, however, Steve, WA1QIX and Brent, W1IA were sounding fantastic on those Class E sand-state rigs.  Lots of great sounding signals on for Heavy Metal night...enjoyed it a lot!

73,  Jack, W9GT / W9T

Hi Jack - it was nice working you (several times) during the Rally !  Some great signals out there.  I somehow missed Gary during the whole thing, and I was on pretty much from 8:00am to midnight, taking some breaks in there for food, creature comforts and other necessities!

On the "contest"....

The way I look at it is this:  The Rally is kind of a contest;  there are points collected and a prize awarded, and a reasonably short duration to the event.  There are many ways to make the event more of a QSO party:

1) Make the Rally 2 or 3 days instead of 1 day in length.  This would really be a good thing.  For those who want to try to "win", there are a finite number of stations to work.  Eventually, you've worked just about everyone and can now relax and get into QSOs... or drag out the time to work the stations over the 2 or 3 days and take longer to do it.  Either way, it takes away the pressure.  That alone would really make the event more of an operating event.  And, there are probably many who might be able to make it on one day and not another.  Also, to work more bands.

2) Award prizes in multiple categories.  This makes sense.  It gives more people a reason to participate, send in logs and pictures and get on AM !!

3) Give special recognition for funny, unusual or unique situations, operations or equipment.  The most hum, the least efficient weight to output, the most FM, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, those are few suggestions from here.  I'm happy to help administrate if needed.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »

The winner, obviously, ought to be the guy that works N4VMY.  You'd REALLY need to strap to make that contact  Grin

In all seriousness anything that gets more big iron - class E, old BC rigs, military, HB - is good.  Even better if it gets Todd off his dead ass to get an antenner up.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »

-yeah, I was going to make a comment about the 'silent key night' idea, but thought it might be in bad taste.  It might have been a subconscience thought after all the 'VMY' chatter.  Guess I'll have to live with this one.  ...right up there with 'How dry I am.'   

So Happy New Year to all you JN"s out there in our radio world and all the alternates.   May our keys resound forever. Actually I do like the idea of modulated CW using recordings of old spark rigs.

..and Todd can modulate his landline outreach conductor.  Why use a Maxwellian antenna when just the thought counts?  I mean technically if you can get a match you can load up anything.  Shocked

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015