The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acorn Shortage  (Read 9921 times)
WB2CAU

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »

No shortage of acorns here either.  This year and last year yielded more acorns than I've seen in years.  I suppose this means an influx of mice, rats and squirrels from the famine areas for me. 

It only takes one buried, uneaten acorn to turn into another large oak.  Think of how many oak trees were a result of a forgotten, buried acorn.

I was reading that acorns are edible by humans and there are recipes on the web. 

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

yes, acorns are edible, but you have to do a lot of work to make them so.  Too much tannic acid (a powerfull laxitive).  Soaking them in water, with several changes for several days or until the water no longer darkens (tannic acid is what makes the water black and stains things black under the oak trees).   The indians would just put all the gathered acorns in baskets and sink them in a stream for a few days or so. Once they are clean, they are easy to prepare and last a long time when ground and stored dry.  Since they are usually used ground up, and they are a nut, flour made with them does not rise, but has more of a tortilla like consistence, or cornbread.  Good for adding to stews, soups, and other dishes. Usually used a base for a dish and not the whole dish.
 Classic indian recipe was acorn poridge with venison (or other meat), add what ever flavoring to the mix you like. Pretty tasty with wild onions. Grin  add berries and maple syrup etc. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015