The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:24:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do mice explode when subject to high voltage??  (Read 19380 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 09:01:29 AM »

I bought a 1939 philco slant front tabletop years ago for 10 bucks opened it up inside was nothing but chewed wires, a  huge nest, and a little mousie skeleton. he died at home listening to the radio.
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »

Well Schit (I'm German),

The damn CCA blew up again tonight...same bloody resistor that I replaced. I think maybe I have a bad tube.   Roll Eyes Tongue Huh  It's the screen grid R well, suppresion R, there is a 100W 15K or ?? supplying the major current to the screens) of one of the 4-400's in the final stage.  The resistor is 100 ohm and is just cooked. I guess a bad tube could cause excessive current draw and pop the R.

Well at least I can soak in the tub now that the GFCI problem is fixed.   Cheesy

Your thoughts?

Paul
The KHz guy

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »

Wouldn't that be Scheiße?
K3ZS

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »

Ja ficken
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »

h

What? Me worry?
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »

So I went thru the TX again yesterday and changed the resistor and the screen bypass cap that was 470pF but was a big ceramic job with terminals, sitting on the floor of the RF deck with wires attached. I put a proper disc cap with short leads in there, replaced the R and the 4-400 and ran it for a couple of hours into the dummy load. Worked FB 100%. Then I switched over to the antenna and it powered up fine for 2 secinds then the line voltage dropped 10VAC and the power dropped like it was drawing huge current. Shut it down...tried it again...same thing, starts for 2 seconds fine, then power drops off with line voltage drop. Buggar!

I thought why would it do this on antenna but not on dummy laod so I started looking at coax going to the house and found that the shields were not soldered to the PL-259, just screwed on. I hate it when people do that. Do I redid both ends and tried it again....same thing....oh man.

So I went back to the house and I noticed the hot tub was running...and it wasn`t a minute ago. Mmmm. Shut it down with the touch panel and went to the shop and rekeyed the TX and sure as Shiebe, the hot tub came back on. Bloody hell. RFI turns on the hot tub, heaters come on, takes two seconds, the line voltage drops and that is what I was seeing in the TX meters. Well that was an easy fix. It wasn`t the TX or coax after all.

So, now I need to find torroids that will take 8/3 wire.   Roll Eyes

Cheers

Paul

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »

"  So, now I need to find torroids that will take 8/3 wire.   Roll Eyes  "

A gambeling man would take some tori and wap 'em sharply, than get out the super glue....  not that I would try anything that stuped......... 

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »

"  So, now I need to find torroids that will take 8/3 wire.   Roll Eyes  "

A gambeling man would take some tori and wap 'em sharply, than get out the super glue....  not that I would try anything that stuped......... 

klc

cores from old flyback transformers.. they come apart in halves like the letter "C", you remove the windings, wrap the big AC wire around, then screw the bolts back on or put the clamps back on. Very lossy at RF.

Stack a few together if you like, need not be same size, and tape them up when done so they act like one big core.

In February there should be an ample supply of used flyback transformers inside all the TV sets out on the curbs. No need to ruin antique ones.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ab3al
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »

sombetch and I L B damed

Im west virginian
WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »

It may be a radiated problem with RF getting into the controller. Beads on the main may not help. Why not just turn the tub off when you are not using it.
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »

For now I can just shut off the tub...but eventually I want to remote operate the station with an HT and be able to be `hot tub portable`on 160M.   Grin

I`ll try beading the small leads first, then the big wire.

Cheers

Paul

WA1GFZ

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

Then figure out a way to have excess transmitter heat warm up the tub....
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

I could be the first kid on the block to have a water cooled transmitter. Mmmm, something to think about.  Wink

Paul

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015