The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do mice explode when subject to high voltage??  (Read 19384 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: November 09, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »

Well after a couple of weeks of not being on the air, I decided tonight to fire up the CCA AM1000D bcast TX and get on 160M. Went to transmit and all I got was a couple of bumps of power out, then a shut down.  I went out to the shop where the TX is and tried it on dummy load, to eliminate any antenna issues. I hit the B+ a few times and each time it went immediately to overload shutdown. 3rd time was the charm.  Hit the HV and WHAM! A God aweful bright explosion like a firecracker on Steroids, up in the tuning section....no smoke, no smell, no output, just ringing ears and no power out.

I powered it down and went had an 807 and watched a rerun of e.r.

Got to get at it this week...the only thing I can think of is a mouse got in there and disrupted the tuning and maybe exploded, or maybe one of the caps. That's what I'm hoping anyways. Or the neighbours' cat, who complains about the QRM in her phone, (the neighbour, not the cat). The transmitter is buried and up against a wall, and is a buggar to get at the back door. I'll post pics of the "demised".

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:28:33 AM »

Hmmmmm... I've never had a mouse expode  Grin   WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY back in my early career as a broadcast chief engineer, the main transmitter went off line at WORC - 5KW in Worcester...

Went up to the transmitter site, opened up the back of the 21E, and there - across the mod transformer, from the secondary to ground - was a mouse.  This sort of thing was to be repeated several times in various parts of the transmitter.  None of the mice ever exploded or even burned up very much.  Just shorted things out and kicked out the overload protection.

Pesky little buggers, aren't they  Wink

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »

I withdrew one from a linear amp. The deceased was paper dry and had a hole burnt clean through him. If a varmint actually exploded in your radio, the pictures could be interesting.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »

Lotsa stuff pops .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX9ktjqcMvM

and the classic.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEX2-npA6vU&feature=related

klc

What? Me worry?
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »

In 1977 I was renting a really cool mother in law behind a house in Santa Rosa, CA. It came with 1940's appliances, a Crosley shelve A door refrigerator and a huge GE electric stove/oven.

The oven had a problem and in the process of tracking down the fault I pried off the cover under the knobs.

I found an ancient mummified mouse that had found it's way into the stove and stepped across the 220V line.

I pulled him out and he stood up like a toy in one piece.  The problem with the oven was a broken heater element but finding that old mouse added to the entertainment of an otherwise nasty job.

Mike
KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »

Had a mouse get into the cabinet for my 2M repeater a couple of years ago. Started gnawing away on the cloth-insulated wires.

He stopped when he found the B+ lead for the 5894.  Wink
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »

A squirrel got across the pole pig HV on the pole across the street from my house early one sunday morning.  I happened to be having a cuppa in the kitchen and got a ringside seat.  He came down off the pole in a couple of smoking peices.  the power reset but the carbon-squirrel residue caused another arc over and we lost power for good.  they replaced the pole pig later that morning...

So, if you can't get a mouse to explode, you need MORE POWER!!!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »

I was about 5 sitting on my G.M's front steps when the same thing happened....nothing bur fur and a loud bang.
VE3GZB

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »

Gee, reading these replies was interesting!

I used to be a field engineer for a food packaging equipment manufacturer and some of the repair calls I tended to were interesting!

One had an old scale in the vegetable department of some Toronto store flicking on and off by itself. Very odd since these old scales were built like tanks, there just wasn't much that could go wrong with them.

Turned out to be a mouse who got across the terminal block that led the 120 VAC in. His legs got across the hot and return and the juices led to corrosion which caused an intermittent connection. The mouse had become mummified since then and I used my needle-nose pliers to pick him off. Pretty awful.

Another time, one job at a burglar alarm company I worked at shortly after graduation.....odd smell permeated the work area for about a week. Then one day without warning there was a giant flash from the 30 kVA transformer on the wall and the lights went out. It turned out to be an expired rat whose body ended up falling across the Xformer's internal leads.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

I'd removed the front panel to my home's load center once, to find the skeletal remains of a mouse that had gotten it's front paws across the load side of a dual breaker [220V]. It appeared as if one "shoulder" joint had been blown away, and bits of fur were around the breaker and wiring.

Strangely, there was never a smell that emanated from the panel, and it is in the kitchen [with people in and out all the time, naturally]. I'd only gone into the panel to check the make/model of the breakers, for a contemplated additional circuit. Huh

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »

They may not explode but they do loose all control of their bodily funtions!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »

Interesting thread after spending all day Friday in high voltage training.

bud, I think mice can still generate output while dancing....but that is just a guess.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

They do, Frank. I had a mouse chew on an EMI bypass cap off a 400VDC bank in one of my supplies once. You could see his tiny little footprints in his "emissions" like looking at one of those "learn to dance" floor mats made popular in the 50's!

I had a picture of it somewhere around here...........
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »

Roll Eyes Well, since you guys brought it up, my xyl and I were cleaning up the debris left by house movers on property next door. She's on one end of the lot and I'm at the other. 

She yells out, "Look what I've found!" I look up to see her holding a completely mummified cat.  Heaven only knows how long it had been underneath the house.
WA1HZK

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »

Yup
They are a pain in the ass. My 330 watt 4CX250B amp on the repeater went off the air. When I got to the site there he was, spread eagle across the plate transformer. Justice. One of the favorite things to build this time of year is a high voltage mouse trap. One large piece of metal, two inch insulator in the center, a smaller piece of metal on the top. Use a 1960's TV transformer with a light bulb in series with the primary. Maybe you want to really punish the offenders? In that case just put a fuse in the primary. Costs more but causes more damage. One thing you need to watch out for is picking a high voltage transformer with too much snot! For some unknown reason they will not go for the bait on the top plate when it's got blue corona discharge all over it.
Mouser

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
modulation_apprentice
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »

i am ready to see what really happened. hope you find out soon and have battery's for your camera
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »

A squirrel got across the pole pig HV on the pole across the street from my house early one sunday morning.  I happened to be having a cuppa in the kitchen and got a ringside seat.  He came down off the pole in a couple of smoking peices.  the power reset but the carbon-squirrel residue caused another arc over and we lost power for good.  they replaced the pole pig later that morning...

So, if you can't get a mouse to explode, you need MORE POWER!!!

When Mr. Squirrel got across the pole pig outside my house, he made it blow up. I don't know how that happened, since he was outside it. He had about a 1/2" hole through him. A few parents took their children and made them look at the deceased there at the curb, as a warning not to play with electricity.

VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 12:25:12 AM »

Hi Guys,

Wow! I had no idea there was much hatred for the little vermon...this is great. What a great response. thank you.

I have a 2 day road trip and when I return, I will be pulling the TX from the wall to find out what exploded in the cabinet...hopefully, "rodentus terminalus furgoness".  Grin

Cheers

Paul...still not on 160M due to the above rodentus problematus

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

Hopefully not the neighbor's nice kitty.

WA1HZK

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:22:35 PM »

If it's the kitty just send it to Dipsy Dumpster land.
Smiley

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »

Well this is just too weird.  Roll Eyes

I pulled out the TX, removed all the covers and looked and poked and proded and there is not a damn thing in the TX that shouldn't be there. No mice, cats, squirrels, bears et al. A few old fly parts and two pellets from the back end of a mouse but otherwise nadda.  What can cause such a horific bright explosion and leave no residue?

Anyway, while I had it apart, I gave it a good wash with brake clean and then a big blow job and made it all purrty and clean, fired it up and it works perfectly. WTF!   Angry

Oh well, played ABBA through it for over an hour into a dummy load then got on 160M for a nice QSO at the tube shoot in Tum Tum. Worked 100%.

Push it back against the wall and pretend nothing happened. And I was looking forward to mouse guts and great pics.

Paul
VE7 Kilohertz

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 06:28:08 AM »

Spiders... or other insectoid life possibly.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »

yessir Paul ...you have an interdimensional transporter ...live long and prosper  ..beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »

someone mentioned to me that spider webs can do this.

VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »

Well, it had been working fine for a few more QSO's but once in a while it would crap out after 10 minutes. It also explodicated again a few more times, scaring the crap out of me and causing great light flashes and bangs but 10 minutes later it would work again..except this time it was only putting out 600W instead of full power. One of the 4-400 current readings were way down, less than 50mA where it should be around 250mA. I swapped tubes around and the problem stayed at the socket so I looked underneath, very closely and found a destroyed 2W 100 ohm resistor, which turns out to be a suppresion R feeding the screens. Ah ha!

Changed that out and shazam...works 100% and has been now for a few weeks. Not sure why it went but it's fixed and I'm happy.

Best 73

Paul
VE7KHz

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015