The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a "certificate of registration"?  (Read 15627 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »

Nice save Joe!   

You hit a number of good points about these old rigs and epay. I'm with you - if not for the epay system, think of the cool rigs we've all seen on there (and some, actually purchased) that would be in a landfill of junked for the metal today.

The size and weight have a lot to do with the lack of selling, but also I think the fact of it being a HB transmitter as opposed to some legendary brand name like a Johnson, Collins, WRL GK or such makes it less attractive to many. It takes a special kind of person to want someone else's project, basically. For me, it's all about the history of the unit and builder, as well as the craftsmanship that went into it. Having some documentation as to its builder and origins as you got with that one is indeed a plus.

The most recent load that went south included one of the W1PEG HB transmitters along with another from a W3. The guys who helped unload marveled at the rigs, even though they didn't have company names (and are a bit on the scruffy side). There's one left upstairs, a dual band 40/80 CW transmitter in an open frame that will make the next trip down. They'll be preserved as long as I'm around. Like you, Derb, and others, I truly respect the OTs who had the skill and patience to build these masterpieces. 

Thanks for the tip on the funnel cloud, too - something we should all watch for in the future!   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 11:10:52 AM »

Looks like that 860 I sent you might be of some use.

Dave - defintely!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »

Like you, Derb, and others, I truly respect the OTs who had the skill and patience to build these masterpieces. 

thx OM!

* Station1.jpg (185.41 KB, 710x463 - viewed 379 times.)
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 09:03:52 PM »

I really like yer taste in calenders Tim....
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »

I really like yer taste in calenders Tim....

I like your taste in calendars AND cathode modulated kit rigs! Do I spot your old Stancor 110CM lurking there on your desktop?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »

yes that b teh one. I hauled that tx and a SX16 out to field day one year an made a numbr of 7290 rok bound contaxt about 7 or 8 on AM before the  'real thing' started. Had me a 1936 FD I did.

someone has pictures somewhere, maybe Rick N3HIA or Frank.

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »

yes that b teh one. I hauled that tx and a SX16 out to field day one year an made a numbr of 7290 rok bound contaxt about 7 or 8 on AM before the  'real thing' started. Had me a 1936 FD I did.

someone has pictures somewhere, maybe Rick N3HIA or Frank.

Tim,
     How much power did you get out of your 110CM? I'm curious. I have one that uses single 812 (non A version) in the final that I get roughly 45W out on 'fone heavily loaded on 75M. Irb used to like to hear me on that particular rig and always told me my audio was "sparkling" - hi! I actually think it's a bit on the hyellowy side with no lows under 300 hz or so, even with a good buddy crapstal D-Ten-four. Luckily my particular rig wasn't "Hammy Hamboned" up and pretty much all original when I got it. I just replaced a few caps, etc., added a crapstal, grid and tank coil, and put it on the airwaves.

God Bless W2VJZ. He was always good for a radio check, and was something akin to the proverbial "bad penny" that always turned up. In spite of what some other people thought of him, I always enjoyed talking to him. Whenever you would finish up a rig and put it on the air for it's "Maiden Voyage", he was always there to give you his comments about what he thought of how you sounded, etc.

My Stancor 110CM will do a full 100W and change on CW, but roughly 45W on 'fone, which I thought is pretty respectable for a cathode modulated rig. I pull it out every now and then to make a few contacts and charge up the capacitors, and usually mate it to a Breting 9 or similar receiver.

Your old black SP-200? was a super looking receiver and as you know they were great performers.

Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »

Joe said:
I pull it out every now and then

Joe, that's a little more than I need to know!!! Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »

Just make sure Lorena Bobbit is nowhere in sight.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015