The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:37:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else see this?  (Read 4044 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »

If this ever happened, there would be more AM broadcast rigs around for us to run.http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.14795.html
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »

I'm no fan of digital anything, but really whats the point of Digital AM radio?   It would just be the same mostly lame a$$ talk radio programming.  Like we really need to hear that with "digital Clarity"... 

Cell phones went digital so the Phone CO's could park a lot more phones on a channel no other real reason.
(this also had the interesting effect of making your cell phone into a computer, subject to all the problems associated with computers, like virii)

The only reason TV went to over the air digital is because the Feds forced them to when they realized they could auction off a Whole BUNCH of spectrum for lots of CASH.  Else very few of the stations would have done it on their own due the the huge expense.

The FM folks went to Digital because they were trying to catch on to the HD TV hype adds and generate more market share. (money that would have been better spent generating programming that was worth listening to). BUT, No one has the cash to plunk down to by a new radio for the house/car/whatever, and it's been real hard for the so called FM "HD" radio to catch on with listners.

So I doubt that Joe Public would shell out the cash for a new AM band radio, just another idea that sounds good on the outside, but won't hold up to the reality of business.   

Unless of course, the Feds find some bidders for the AM band spectrum... Then it will Good Bye to all the little local AM stations that live a hand-to-mouth existance, and Hello Mass Market Media...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

It's kinda like the space3 race in the 50s and 60s, except everyone wants to be the first on digital. if something alreday works the way it is there ain't no need to improve it. Digital radio is is sh!t on analog so why bother? you need completely new receivers to rexcevie it. most of the time i use old tube receivers for am listening, well, if they go digital,m the tube gear will be useless.
Shwelby KB3ouk

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »

It makes sense to put all the little toy radio stations that clutter up the AM band on VHF, whether analogue FM or digital.  One of the proposals would keep the AM clear channels, and expand the bandwidth of each channel to 20 kHz.  They would have the choice of staying analogue or changing to digital.

But even if the proposal were approved to-day, it is estimated that the change-over would take 20 years.  It was well more than a decade after the band expansion was approved at WARC-79 before the first signals showed up on the air.

If the FCC and other bureaucracies move at a similalar pace on this, it is doubtful that most of us will make it to see the day that the change is fully implemented.

But the proposal makes too much sense to expect the fee-cee to OK it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

It makes sense to put all the little toy radio stations that clutter up the AM band on VHF, whether analogue FM or digital.  One of the proposals would keep the AM clear channels, and expand the bandwidth of each channel to 20 kHz. 

SNIP

I disagree Don,  Those little local stations, running a KW or less are the only ones left worth listening to, but they don't make a lot of money. Forcing them to change bands would force most of them to either sell off to some Media-Mogul or go dark.   Frankly, I'd rather the Big Conglomerate owned stations moved up and out. Especially with their crappy,  Dick, Dork, and a Doe cookie cutter programming styles. 

We've got two locals here, one has all but died off and gone over to an all sports talk format (oh God talk about boring...)  The other is talk radio, they do run some syndicated shows, but the majority of the programming is local stuff and local News. I like hearing about the city/state politics, local minor leage ball scores, and their live feeds from places I actually know are pretty cool.  They don't make a lot of money, and Nashua is probably one of the bigger markets in this area. If they had to buy a new transmitter and such for another band I'm not sure they would be able to survive the revenue hit intact. 

I dunno, maybe the weak need to die off sometimes, make room for new thinking and Ideas. I just like some things ok fine the way they are.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
AMroo
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »

yeer sure  - scrap the AM broadcast band and make it a ham band and sell all the heavy metal broadcast rigs cheaply to hams.

And by the way when are we getting the old 500KCS (not HZ) Marine band ?
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 06:47:59 AM »

It's all in where the Money is I guess...I like the little starving Country Stations...the ones that are left....
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »

I disagree Don,  Those little local stations, running a KW or less are the only ones left worth listening to, but they don't make a lot of money. Forcing them to change bands would force most of them to either sell off to some Media-Mogul or go dark.   Frankly, I'd rather the Big Conglomerate owned stations moved up and out. Especially with their crappy,  Dick, Dork, and a Doe cookie cutter programming styles...

You are indeed fortunate if you have any local AM stations at <1KW that run any kind of unique programming worth listening to.

We have four local AM'ers in this area.  They have become little more than repeaters, rebroadcasting what is beamed down by satellite.  Of these, one is all-sports and another is a Black gospel bible-beater.  I hear stories of how this has happened all over the country.  Most of these stations run unattended. The "local" programming you hear is via "voice tracking", where listeners are deceived into thinking that what they are listening to is locally originated but in reality it is syndicated from somewhere on the other side of the continent, with commercials and local announcements (also produced in distant studios) inserted into the feed by automation. 

Only one of our local stations, the one that has been running since 1941, has any local programming in their own  studios at all, and they still run hours of satellite feed per day.  When they gave me the remains of a BTA-1R, one of the guys showed me around the studio and explained how the whole operation works.  There are several big dishes on the premises, with several computers and very little audio production equipment in the "production room".

I don't think many of these small stations could afford to hire a full staff to run their entire operation locally, along with a chief engineer and full office staff. 

The problem is too many radio stations.  A few decades ago, a town of 10K or 20K inhabitants might have one or two local broadcast stations, and typically at least one of those was daytime only.  Then, in the 60's and 70's the FCC started licensing about anyone who could generate enough cash to build a station, to the point that little burgs with a population of 5,000 typically had more than one station, and the competition got much worse when FM finally caught on with the public.  So a town of 50K inhabitants now has 5 or 6  stations competing for what little advertising revenue is available, with the vast majority of the audience  listening to FM.  I'm surprised that small AM's have managed to hang on this long.  To exacerbate the problem, the AM band has become so jam-packed with signals at night that about the only thing audible is a handful of clear channel blowtorches spouting political progaganda and any local that might happen to have its transmitter within a 5-mile radius. 

There are a few exceptions, such as WSM, but about all it has left is its famous country music format.  I can remember when they played Texico Opera on Saturday afternoon, had classical music in the evenings, and broadcast news programs.  I can recall their running NBC's Monitor all weekend.  Now it is nearly all country music and football games.  They do run national news every hour or so.  I am not aware of it if they have shifted to a talk radio format yet.

When I first started teaching school, I would tune in to a local AM station to hear snow day announcements.  They also carried locally breaking news events and weather.  By the time I retired, local snow-day, weather and news announcements were non-existent on any of the radio stations.  Instead, this information was disseminated via the scrolling strip along the bottom of the screen  from regional TV stations.

I suspect a small local AM station might be able to make it, if the satellite robot repeaters that are currently jamming the band and syphoning off sparse advertising revenue all went dark, and they were willing to offer something beyond the syndicated programming you hear on the FM band.

The only FM stations that I can pick up that are worth listening to, are the three regional NPR stations and a couple of university radio stations, all  located at the bottom end of the band, and the only AM I ever actually listen to is the 10,000 watt NPR news/talk station on 1430 in Nashville, 50 miles away.  They are inaudible until a couple of hours after sunrise and begin to fade into oblivion a couple of hours before sunset.  I believe they cut power to 1 kw at night, but they are long past being buried in the QRM by then.

One thing that will make it too expensive for small AM's to move to the proposed expanded FM band will be to require them to broadcast digitally using "HD Radio®", because of the inflated cost of the equipment and the licensing fees they will have to pay to the digital monopoly. But the propagation characteristics of the AM band make it more suitable for large clear channel stations with skywave coverage, particularly suited for long distance travellers, since it is impossible to keep a radio station tuned in on a car radio on a long trip for more than an hour or so at time, unless one goes to satellite radio. 

Remember the station in Elizabeth, NJ, that first opened up the expanded AM band, and was entertainment quality every evening over half the continent?  And IIRC, they ran only 1 kw at night.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015