The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing with a 60's vintage Courier 23 for conversion to 10 meters  (Read 20869 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »

Boy that one Pete got is in Super shape..wholly cats I haven't seen one of them in years....

Thanks for the Link Mike.... Smiley

Not mine - too pretty for me Ted.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W5EFR
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

I like the Black face too, tunable receive is nice, put an analog meter in mine, Rocks are the problem there, anyone have a link on who's cutting rocks for them could use a few more here on my end.

73 jack.

MH Electronics quoted me the best price @ $18 each, if I buy 2 or more crystals, any frequency...
http://www.mhelectronics.com/index.shtml

I just ordered the NorCal FCC2 Mk II DDS board. It will run up to 31 MHz, so I would like to use it to put my Whiteface or Blackface up on 10 Meter AM... I'll have to figure that one out...
AF9J
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 02:24:42 PM »

That's a good price.  I remember when I asked International Crystal for a quote last year (before I had my VFO), for a 3885 crystal in an FT-243 holder for the Globe Scout I used to have, and I just about had a heart attack.  $52!  I just might contact these guys about getting a 39 Mhz crystal to put the FT-301 on 12m.  Thanks for the link to their website.

Ellen - AF9J
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »

Sometime in the 70's or 80's I was involved in converting CB circuit boards to making 10M FM transceivers.   I wrote a conversion article for 73 Magazine, which I never got credit for, I suppose because they paid me for it.    Anyway, these boards were for many transceivers, they were mostly called Hygain boards.    They used a synthesizer IC and required only changing one crystal for conversion to 10M and retuning.    I am planning on unconverting the one I made for 10 FM back to AM and moving down to 29.0 MHz range.    I had built a 50W single transistor amplifier for it.    I think with some bias I can make it linear and use it for AM also.   It is a much cheaper way to get a CB conversion than the crystalplex schemes of the older CB rigs.

I remember that 73 article, nice job!  There were ZILLIONS of those HyGain CB boards out there. Everyone was selling them from Meshna to Olson and dirt cheap. They must have bought them for pennies. HyGain must have lost a fortune. I guess they bought the story that every family would have a couple of CBs and planned production accordingly. When skip is absent I hear almost ZERO on local CB freqs and I live in a major population center. What happened to all those rigs? Of all the ones I used, the KAAR marine CB was the best built. Like a ROCK! Sonar and Pierce Simpson made a quality product as well. International Crystal made a unique one that I'd love to get if anyone has one for sale. It was a 100 milliwatt xtal controlled CB xcvr (with a tuneable rcvr) designed for FCC part 15 license free DX. The xcvr was remotely mounted at the antenna base and the user had a remote control box. Anyone ever see one of these?

AF6IM
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

A lot of those Hy-Gain boards were for 23 channel units. When the mandatory FCC ruling came in 1977 that you could no longer sell or manufacture 23 channel units, many manufacturers were stuck with tons of raw inventory and finished goods. The Hy-Gain boards were the base for many of the CB's that were being manufactured at this time. At Lafayette at the 11th hour, we were pitching "buy a CB antenna and get a CB for a penny more" just to move the stuff out of inventory.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »

Actually those early Cybernet boards were rather service friendly and stable, when they moved into the 02A PLL chip they got to be quite fun to work on, I did alot of those years ago. That 02a chip was fun.

They made a rather sloppy VFO for them, see them here and there at the festers.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 06:28:24 AM »

Yes, those Cybernet boards and rigs are easy to convert and ubiquitous, only the audio on them stinks. The main problem with them is the audio transformer in there. I have gotten good results by doing the usual fattening up of the caps and replacing the transformer with a multiple output impedance job with normal audio characteristics . Those audio distribution transformers sometimes have multiple output impedances. You know, the 25 or 70 volt things. Have to use the multiple jobs because the transformer is set up as an autotransformer. Of course, it will be very difficult to mount the thing inside, but there is space on the back panels for mounting outside. Its not too ugly. Don't forget the microphone. The usual dynamic cb mic is horrendously pinched sounding. Don't bother changing the transformer if you are going to use one of them. I like to use the Astatic preamp'd crystal/ceramic handheld/mobile mics . They can be had brand new still (cheaper on Ebay). Just change the input resistor in the preamp to  5 or 10 megs or it won't have any low end.

Or nevermind all that and use an external modulator.......Larry

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015