The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:41:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3  (Read 10879 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1

3.0.1 and completely satisfied. It gives me the control i require for my own security without sacrificing functions. I've even tweeked it to never open PDF or MPE or videos inside, but either in the proper external application, or, ahem, download them against the will of the server that insists to embed them. I use the noscript plugin with it to choose which scripts to allow, e.g.

allow amfone.net
forbid googleanalytics.com
forbid googlesyndication.com

yada yada

so quite pleased indeed.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K9FH

K9 - Fire House

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »

It says on the Firefox site that they will be dropping support (upgrades) for Firefox 2 around mid-December. That's a real bummer for those using Win98se.  FF3 is only designed to be installed on XP or better operating system.

Has anyone tried "Kexver"?  It's a workaround that claims to allow FF3 to be installed on Win98 machines.
W4EWH

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »

It says on the Firefox site that they will be dropping support (upgrades) for Firefox 2 around mid-December. That's a real bummer for those using Win98se.  FF3 is only designed to be installed on XP or better operating system.

No offense, but I wouldn't recommend use of any Windows product earlier than Windows 2000. If you need Windows 98 because the computer it's on doesn't have enough CPU/RAM for W2K or XP, then I recommend you install a "lightweight" version of GNU/Linux and use that instead.

Spyware authors know every trick there is, and that includes the list of software vulnerabilities that were never corrected in Windows 98. As far as those guys are concerned, if you put any W98 machine on the Internet, you're inviting them to take it over and make it another robot in their "bot net", and your machine will be spewing spam and malware instead of helping you to surf the net.

If you're running applications that aren't (yet) available for GNU/Linux, then I'd recommend that you visit your local recycling center and get a free hardware upgrade. You'll be amazed at the machines that are tossed on the pile just because their owners bought something newer: it is, of course, a good idea to "flatten" such machines and install W2K or XP from scratch. Here's the icing on the cake: many recycled machines still have the "Certificate of Authenticity" glued to them, and that COA is the license for the operating system!

FWIW. YMMV. Feel free to write me offlist if you need more info.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 03:12:48 AM »

I just updated mine to 3.0.4.  They claim there were security issues with the earlier versions.  First time the update wouldn't install.  I  restarted the computer and tried again to download and install it, and the upgrade took less than a minute.

Almost every day I get notice of an update to some of my software - the OS, the browser, media players, or something.  I don't use the automatic update installers.  I prefer to know exactly what is being updated, and take the option to install it manually at my convenience.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »

I tried Firefox 3 and had issues. This was not a clean install however since I already had FF2. My issues were:

The download box stays blank, so to run a downloaded file I had to go fetch it with explorer

My Yahoo account would always have to be logged back in whenever FF3 was restarted, even if I checked to box to stay logged in for 2 weeks.  There is a work around for this where you have to follow a procedure to preset yahoo such that you stay logged in. This was a pain to do. I did not have to do this with FF2.

FF3 seems bloated and slower than FF2. In fact I read that some of the files are now linked to IE6 or IE7, a major change for FF.

so I tried safari with XP.  Pretty neat but SLOW. I'm sure it would be better on a MAC.

I am currently running CHROME from Google. This is a work in progress, but is blazing fast and pretty neat. Not too many problems, and boots almost instantly. I have it set to boot with 6 pre defined tabs (AM FONE is one of them!). This is very nice.

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015