The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer Question  (Read 3466 times)
N1ESE
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

I have a vintage modulation transformer that is excess to my needs and want to sell it.  However, before I do, there's some slight damage to it and I'd like to represent it properly.  Or, if it is junk as a result of this damage, I don't want to rip someone off.

If you notice in the pic below, what I will call bakelite here (I'm not sure what the material is) is broken.  However, I don't seem to note any problems when I check out the transformer with my ohm meter.  Is this still useable in this condition?

Thanks
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »

It doesn't look good, but I don't think it's a problem. One a test under high voltage would allow you to know for sure.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:09:29 PM »

I don't think the crack in the phenolic would make any difference in its performance if that is the only damage.  I have used worse than that and just glued the terminal board back together with epoxy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:55:53 AM »

first of all, mod transformers are never "excess to your needs"!! One can NEVER have enough spares!!

As far as the damage goes, I have repaired worse ones that that. You just have to gently remove the end bell and fabricate a new insulating spacer out of phenolic and carefully reassemble it. If the windings are still good, that "damage" is no big deal.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N1ESE
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »

first of all, mod transformers are never "excess to your needs"!! One can NEVER have enough spares!!
Well, I'm never going to get around to building my own tube gear and finally coming to the realization and accepting it.

Thanks for the input.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »

I agree with Don. Looks cosmetic to me. The advantage to checking it with HV would be to state so and thereby get more $ for it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015