The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:49:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day  (Read 17248 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »

Field Day is this coming weekend. Time to drag your biggest rig out to some hill or field and play radio in the outdoors.
More info, go here:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/fd/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »

If I do any Field Day, it's going to be incidental.  I'm going to a get-together of AMers this Saturday, that Harry, N9CQX is hosting.  For the past few years, when I've gotten roped into doing Field Day, I've wound up being one of the CW hotshots/hired hands, since most amatuers seem to be a bit averse to doing CW.  I don't mind doing CW (hey, I passed my 20 WPM for the Extra on the first go-around, without practicing CW), but I would like to do more than just pound brass.  If I'm going to just pound brass, I'd prefer to do it with my QRP rigs for Field Day.

Ellen - AF9J
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:52:56 PM »

Don't know if I'll be out Pete, my best buddies wife has just been diagnosed with cancer on the spleen..it's not been a good last month around here...it's just Not been real Ham friendly lately at all...I'd rather Not mention the call, but he's my field day partner...
So I dunno...if I can get him outta the house Yea.. if not No...
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »

love those olde tyme QST covers... 

I may do field day from the camp up on the lake.  IF the Radio Gods smile on me I might even head out to one of the islands and set up the rigs for 40 and 20 meters.

Anyway, good clean fun.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

That's a good idea. I'll do Field Day from the lake too. A few hundred foot cables and cords should do me.

* lake3.jpg (9.54 KB, 336x252 - viewed 762 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

I'm doing double duty.. the LAARK field day in The Colony, Texas

1.) hamming it up, likely on 6M FM from my military commo truck. Maybe some HF, will be SSB as I have no big iron in the truck and the bands will be crowded so I will be polite.

2.) recruiting for the State Guard, using said truck to attract attention. Anyone here in Texas interested in using your radio and other skills to help the safety and security of your beloved state?

In exchange for showing up I have been promised 24x7 generated power and steak for supper. BTW the fuel cost for generated power can rack up quick even with diesel gensets and more so when we are speaking of military shelters on trucks and 20,000BTU air conditioning. I attached a picture of my "mobile rig". It is my precious.

* m35_commo_truck_medium.jpg (459.98 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 801 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

FD reports anyone?

Friday (yeah it doesn't count, but I wan't counting and neither was the other fellow..) I talked with Rick AA1KS who was out in the Maine-Newfoundland corridor, a distance of >2000 miles. It was done from the truck using an IC706 on 14.286 USB (sorry) and the bumper-mounted whip which I extended to 18FT. This was exciting to me, because I have never reached that far before, and, certainly not with the little 100W SSB rig, antenna tuner, and a whip antenna on that truck. This tells me I need to come up with a rugged linear amp for AM in the truck, preferrably something with continuous tuning or overlapping bands.

I detected some AM activity but could not hear it clearly, I assume that would be the 18FT whip? I guess there is no way around needing a good antenna. Conditions were not very good on that band at 13:20, alot of noise was present.

Other than that I did not get to do much operating. It was mostly a camp-out for me. Had fun anyway. Please check out the LAARK's all-band setup on this military mast. Pictures here:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/FD/2007/INDEX.HTML

So let's hear about yall's FD activities, must be much more interesting than mine!

AF9J
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

I spent most of Saturday at a gathering of AMers who regularly check in to the Midwest Classic Radio Net on Saturday Mornings. I had no batteries available for use this year to go portable with, so I just fired up the 34 year old Kenwood TS-820 for HF, the 30-something year old Yaesu FT-620B for 6m, and handed out contacts to pass the time (in between being kept on the phone for several hours by gabby friends of mine on Saturday and Sunday).  Most of my contacts were on CW, using a bug for keying.

Ellen - AF9J
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »

Notice that Gil cartoon shows  mostly what look like high-school age guys setting up that field day operation.  At the average age of to-day's hams, the  guys probably wouldn't be physically able to erect the antennas, let alone lug the heavy metal rigs that were the order of the day.

I noticed a lot less activity on the bands this year than in times past.  Mostly 40 and 80m CW, with substantial 75m slopbucket, but not enough to prevent normal QSO's.  Hardly any FD activity at all on 3600-3800. Absolutely nothing heard on 160.  I didn't try to monitor 20m, and  the  bands above 14 mHz were probably dead anyway, but maybe I missed something. Nevertheless, I suspect that another reason besides the low sunspot number is that old  farts like most of us are, just don't have the stamina that we used to have back in 1956.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:14 AM »

Attended Field Day at the Contoocook Club event in Hopkinton, NH Saturday with MrMike, W1RC. It was mainly a P.R. trip since they are the club who took on the VHF station project donated to the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium in Concord by NEAR-Fest. Several stations with yagis on towers, including a Duece and a half w/small tower and 6m beam on the roof of its comms shelter.

A good group of folks, the club president is a key collector, one of the fellows runs the military vehicle meet in Weare NH, and at least one (K1BBQ) is an AMer. We also ran into what Mike has aptly named a 'League Weenie' type who badmouthed AM in favor of PSK/digital and the ARRL view. In fact, while we were listening to 'BBQ talk about his DX-100 and current R-390A restoration project, this guy came in several times to interrupt. Something about getting '2 more points!!' if they copied some ARRL PSK message. We figured he could hear us from out behind the tent and it drove him nuts that someone was discussing AM. And everyone knows, it's the points that really matter in ham radio.

Other than him, the rest of the people seemed to be having a great time, operating but not in the typical 'rabid corntester' fashion. Everyone broke for a great spaghetti dinner complete with garlic bread and salad (they were having lobstah on Sunday). They did seem to be enjoying it more as a social occasion more than a corntest, not to the point of 'party' but very relaxed and laid back.

We also saw the gal that 'VJB captured in .jpg format at Hopkinton in 2006. She was there with her man, no dawg this time.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »

Had a nice time at Field Day with the Ft Wayne Radio Club W9TE.  Set-up again this year at the Girl Scout Camp north of Ft Wayne.  (No....no Girl Scouts were there)  Yes...Ellen,  I am also called in annually to be a hired hand on CW.  I enjoy it a lot, but unfortunately this year, I was relegated to 20 CW which just does not produce the contact rates that 40M does.  They had a guy on 40 M. that insisted on staying on that band and he was not producing many contacts...kind of a waste...but oh well...the competition is not the most important aspect.  At least.... that is what I am told.  I managed to produce a couple hundred contacts in the few hours I was there.  Probably could have made at least 400-500 in the same time on 40M.

Many folks asked me why I didn't bring the vintage AM rig out again this year, as they really enjoyed seeing it a couple of years ago.  I just didn't have enough time and so didn't take it out this year.  Two years ago, I took the old John Meck transmitter (35 watts out on AM) and the old NC-240D receiver and had a ball.  Everybody really got a kick out of it then and I need to do that again, but takes time to load everything up and set it up.

I think the ARRL should consider allowing a vintage station to be added to the field day operations, perhaps like the "GOTA station" and not require it to be added to the station # of transmitters (Class).  Either that, or provide for a unique "vintage station class".  The Electric Radio magazine Vintage Field Day, never attracted much participation as a separate event.  Instead of a premium point count just for CW, how about more points for AM contacts?  Maybe these things would detract from the supposed goal of emergency preparedness, however, I think that another important goal of Field Day is to encourage operation and attract interest.

Anyway, another Field Day is past and it was enjoyable.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »

Like Ellen, I went to the AM picnic on Saturday and returned with an RCA AR-88 in need of restoration (and a proper meter since it has one out of an SX-42 mounted), a very nice looking BC-348Q to pair with my ART-13, and a Hammarlund HC-10 (it may be a sideband converter but its tight selectivity and selectable sideband can turn a so-so receiver into a great battle conditions receiver on AM also). 

Once home I made a few CW field day contacts from the gazebo using my FT-817 powered with one of the Harbor Freight car jump start packs and using my 80 meter full wave horizontal loop for an antenna.  Just for fun I also powered up the Ranger/Desk Kilowatt to make a few "contest" contacts using my newly restored SX-88 receiver since the receiver was stored for around 25 years before I got it and hasn't been in a contest in a long time.  Its original owner was quite a contester and DXpeditioner.  The local club operates FD from the local Red Cross building and having grown up in Mississippi, Field Day to me means going out into the woods with a generator instead of operating on commercial power in the middle of town so it has been several years since I have participated.  There is nothing quite like the fun of cracking open the injection lines at 2:00 A.M. on a Korean "conflict" era diesel gen set after the fueler forgets to fuel it!

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
AF9J
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

Notice that Gil cartoon shows  mostly what look like high-school age guys setting up that field day operation.  At the average age of to-day's hams, the  guys probably wouldn't be physically able to erect the antennas, let alone lug the heavy metal rigs that were the order of the day.

I noticed a lot less activity on the bands this year than in times past.  Mostly 40 and 80m CW, with substantial 75m slopbucket, but not enough to prevent normal QSO's.  Hardly any FD activity at all on 3600-3800. Absolutely nothing heard on 160.  I didn't try to monitor 20m, and  the  bands above 14 mHz were probably dead anyway, but maybe I missed something. Nevertheless, I suspect that another reason besides the low sunspot number is that old  farts like most of us are, just don't have the stamina that we used to have back in 1956.

Hi Don,

6 & 10 opened up for a little while on Sunday morning. Of course, just as I was getting into 6m, Gabby Friend #1 called up.  By the time I got off the phone (she gets hurt feelings if I don't talk to her for long [she feels like I'm blowing her off]), 6 & 10 were dead.  Oh well.

Ellen - AF9J
W1JS

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

Attended Field Day at the Contoocook Club event in Hopkinton, NH Saturday with MrMike, W1RC.

Yo Todd!  Did not know that you were coming down to FD in Henniker (not Hopkinton).  If I had known, I wudda dropped by in the evening.  I was there from about 9 am to 3 pm on Sat. helping set up.  Mainly I was helping set up the electrical "service".  The club has a nice portable power distribution "network" from the generator complete with circuit breakers and GFCI outlets.   I did not stay around to operate - not my "thing".  Besides, it got pretty wet later in the evening.  Sunday afternoon, they got pretty hammered by a strong thunderstorm at the end of take down.  Warren, W1GUD, is in the neighborhood and was at the site for take down Sunday.  CVRC is a pretty good group.  I am not as active in the club as I used to be, but hold the job as the trustee of the club call, K1BKE. 

BTW, the site of the military collectors' fest in Weare is within 1/2 mile of my QTH.

Jack
W1JS

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

I think the ARRL should consider allowing a vintage station to be added to the field day operations, perhaps like the "GOTA station" and not require it to be added to the station # of transmitters (Class).  Either that, or provide for a unique "vintage station class". 
73,  Jack, W9GT

And it oughta get quad points for running pig iron on emergency power or batteries! I can see the most rabid AM contester now, a ryder truck, a KW BC transmitter, and 20,000 lbs of AGM cells. At about 20 watt hours per lb of AGM batteries, that is 400KWH; a real KW AM rig could run key down for 24 hours, plus power for a/c, lights, massage recliner, margarita machine.. Out in the middle of a park under 300FT of dipole strung between a few 40FT masts. The sick part is that someone would do it.

]]]]

The comments about the age might have some truth. Mid 30's and up, except for kiddies and the like. But it didn't stop anyone. There was an older veteran in a wheelchair, who dealt with one of the guy wires on the mast.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »

I think the ARRL should consider allowing a vintage station to be added to the field day operations, perhaps like the "GOTA station" and not require it to be added to the station # of transmitters (Class).  Either that, or provide for a unique "vintage station class". 
73,  Jack, W9GT

And it oughta get quad points for running pig iron on emergency power or batteries! I can see the most rabid AM contester now, a ryder truck, a KW BC transmitter, and 20,000 lbs of AGM cells. At about 20 watt hours per lb of AGM batteries, that is 400KWH; a real KW AM rig could run key down for 24 hours, plus power for a/c, lights, massage recliner, margarita machine.. Out in the middle of a park under 300FT of dipole strung between a few 40FT masts. The sick part is that someone would do it.

]]]]

The comments about the age might have some truth. Mid 30's and up, except for kiddies and the like. But it didn't stop anyone. There was an older veteran in a wheelchair, who dealt with one of the guy wires on the mast.

Well, I guess that was mostly tongue in cheek.  Not sure what prompted it, but we vintage tube-type enthusiasts never claimed to be the most energy efficient radio afficionados.  Anyway I'm not worrying about the carbon credits yet!  I still think the "vintage station" at field day is a great idea.

As for the age thing....yeah lots of "older" guys at FD, but I was pleased to be assisted by a 16 yr old handling logging chores, who is going to get his ham ticket soon.  Great to see several young people at the FD site.  Maybe there is still hope for continuance of the hobby.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

Yo Todd!  Did not know that you were coming down to FD in Henniker (not Hopkinton).

Well....Hopkinton....Hennkier....At least I got the H right! Cheesy We drove past the Hopkinton Fairgrounds, took a right by the library, and headed out to the boonies. That was attempt #2, mind you: Mike sent us on a safari the first time around trying to head in from Warner.

We arrived on scene around 4:00 or so. John gave us a tour, even showed us the well-thought-out and laid-out power distribution system. Clever, safe, and most effective. In a long-term emergency, that's exactly the kind of planning you'd need. Like you, the corntesting part isn't my thing, more the ability to set it up on short notice and make it work.

We heard from one of the guys that Warren 'GUD was arriving Sunday, bad timing on our part. Haven't caught up with Warren in person for a few years, now - despite being in Tampa and also at NEAR-Fest when he was here last year.

Rain came down in buckets for a while before we left, and for most of the trip home. It was a good trip to visit a great group of folks who seem able to run a club without all of the political bickering and nonsense that seems to plague most. I think the secret is to enjoy what you're doing, and not take yourself or your position too seriously.

And fair warning: we talked with Larry about the mil vehicle meet, so don't be surprised if you see MrMike and I in the neighborhood. We might even stop by to harass you, since we now know you're nearby.   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »

73,  Jack, W9GT

]]]]

Well, I guess that was mostly tongue in cheek.  Not sure what prompted it, but we vintage tube-type enthusiasts never claimed to be the most energy efficient radio afficionados.  Anyway I'm not worrying about the carbon credits yet!  I still think the "vintage station" at field day is a great idea.

As for the age thing....yeah lots of "older" guys at FD, but I was pleased to be assisted by a 16 yr old handling logging chores, who is going to get his ham ticket soon.  Great to see several young people at the FD site.  Maybe there is still hope for continuance of the hobby.

73,  Jack, W9GT

I am in full agreement about vintage stations at field day. The power problem isn't much of an issue with generators all around. Even the little 1KW honda inverter-type generators would work for a 100W station. And if someone did want to bring out some really big pig, I'd like to be in on that bit of fun!

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »

20 was open on saturday of field day. made all 12 of my contacts from the w3ach fd site on 20. i always seem to get stuck on 20. last year i was on 20 with an ft-101ee that had a bad humming problem, and that later was taken off the air because it started to viberate.
shelby kb3ouk

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015