The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:28:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1OIK comments on amateur radio.  (Read 33920 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 15, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »

I don't agree with everything this guy says, but on some of his points he hits the nail right on the head.  A couple of examples are his comments on no-traffic nets and 5-9 contest reports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE7FrVY9T4&feature=related

MØBMF responds

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »

I think the $$ radio on his desk qualifies him as a big gun which he seems to despise, or something. It was pretty funny especially the yellow raincoat part.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »

He does tell the truth in some of the things he says. Anybody read the comments. Doesn't seem like too many people liked it, though. Too many people are starting to act like idiots on the air, I think that is what he was trying to get at.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W4EWH

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »

It's funny: I have never been interested in UTube until I saw this ham's video. I'm tempted to sign up and publish my own refutation, but I'm having an early dinner and there's a contest on, hi hi.

Seriously, it sounds like he needs to hang up the mic for a few months: everyone has peccadillos, and hams are no exception. If hearing "For ID" bothers the man so much, the solution is to adjust his on/off switch. It's a hobby, you know? If it's not fun, then he should stop doing it.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC, for ID

P.S. I once asked a ham who I saw wearing a yellow raincoat at a flea market why he was doing that on a clear, sunny day. He angrily demanded to know if I was <call-sign-I've-forgotten>, and when I said "No, I'm <call-sign-I-held-years-ago>", he started a diatribe about some other guy who had "no balls", etc., etc. I walked away wondering if wearing a yellow rain coat was required by a state law against public oafishness, and thinking that the Oriental view about Yin and Yang has more truth to it than I had realized.

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »

I have seen this guy on the net ranting and raving about the hobby for about 15 years. He is full of “observations” and offers nothing constructive or positive about the hobby. If it is that bad....leave!

I put him in the same class as K1MAN.

From his QRZ Bio
The Real Amateurs Code

"1) The Amateur is inconsiderate...he knowingly uses the air in such a way as to increase his pleasure at the expense of others.

2) The Amateur is selfish...he takes as much as he can from his fellow radio amateurs, his local club, hams at flea markets and from the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio is represented.

3) The Amateur is stagnant...he uses money to keep his station abreast of science, not his intellect. It is well built and efficient, the best that his money can buy, even if his family has to go without. His operating practice is repetitive, never doing anything original.

4) The Amateur is unFriendly...impatient sending at whatever speed he likes whether the other ham can copy at that speed. The typical amateur despises kids and minimizes conversation with them. These are the marks of the amateur spirit.

5) The Amateur is un Balanced...radio is his hobby. He allows hamming to interfere with any of the duties he owes to his home, his job, his school, or his community.

6) The Amateur is self involved...his knowledge and his station are always ready to win the latest contest and rarely is involved in the service of his country and community. "

No thanks

Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K1ZJH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »

The guy is a work of art. I bought a TV camera from him many years ago. The next time he heard me on the air he starting bragging about how the camera only cost him five bucks at fleamarket and he was pretty happy to rub it in about the "screwing" he gave me on the deal. His take on the Amateur's Code is pretty ironic.

Pete k1zjh
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »

The one thing that I always try my utmost to remember is that ham radio is A HOBBY.  If you don't like what someone else is doing on the air, change frequency or turn the thing off.  No one is forcing you to sit there and get all "bent out of shape" over someone else's antics! FOR GOODNESS SAKE, IT'S ONLY A HOBBY or past time.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »

Yea, but you have to admit, saying "This is <your call> for ID" is pretty stupid. Would you say to someone this is Joe for identification? No you'd say my name is Joe or I am Joe.

That said, I'd don't think I'd rant, leave the frequency or shut down if someone did say "This is <your call> for ID."  I'd just give them a hard time about it. That's far more fun. And hobbies are supposed to be fun.  Wink
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

...CQ White Folks.... Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

The guy is a work of art. I bought a TV camera from him many years ago. The next time he heard me on the air he starting bragging about how the camera only cost him five bucks at fleamarket and he was pretty happy to rub it in about the "screwing" he gave me on the deal. His take on the Amateur's Code is pretty ironic.

That reminds me of the used Corolla I bought about 18 years ago from a preacher.  I had already worn out two previous Corollas, and this one seemed like a  good deal.  He assured me it worked OK, and it ran fine when I took it for a test drive.  So I bought it, but next day the damn thing wouldn't start no matter what.  I tinkered with the ignition all afternoon and finally got it going, but it still was real pain, because after sitting overnight it was always nearly impossible to start next  day.  I finally bought a rebuild kit and overhauled the  carburettor.  Never could find anything wrong with the original as I disassembled it, but I went ahead and replaced all the stuff that came with the kit, reassembled it and put it back in the car, and miraculously, it started first time I tried it, and never had the problem again.

It was pretty obvious that the guy had known what the problem was but couldn't find anyone who knew how to fix it, so he got it started and pre-warmed it before I came to look at it. 

Afterwards, my wife would run into him from time to time at work, and she would always make it a point to rub it in about how well that car ran, how pleased we were with it, and how grateful we were that he was kind enough to sell it to us at such a reasonable price (all of which was the truth after I fixed the problem).

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

in the olden days "20 or 30 years ago"
I loved it! a hi hi fb OM utuber.
Almost as good as the guy that put the Honda 750 motor in his lawn tractor.

I'll let you go.  Looking forward to getting outdoors during field day.

Tom
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »

Would you say to someone this is Joe for identification?

I say that.  I also introduce myself to someone as "Handle here is John".  I also laugh at jokes by saying "Aitch-Eye, Aitch-Eye".

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »

I'm confused why one would participate in, and identify with, a hobby which one clearly despises.

I beleive that Carl KPD was on point, I'd put OIK in the same catagory as K1MAN, and the more attention we give him, the more he enjoys it. In many ways I feel sorry for him, his life must be quite empty and lonely, for few would tolerate such behavior. He may wish to Google "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". Clearly needs the Lord in his life.

I feel no need to think about it any more.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »

hi hi hi

w3jn hr om

u gi's crak me up

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »

Amazing part is, some people take 'JN, 'HUZ and others seriously instead of in the tongue-in-cheek manner intended. Kenya believe it? Even funnier!  Grin

This guy is yet another example of the 'see me, pay attention to me, my way is the right way' approach to life. We've seen it here in the last year as well, poster(s) implying that their way is obviously best, they're better than other hams because they learned CW, they're an OT because they say so, etc etc. Nothing new, regardless of sensibility mixed in. The paraphrased 'pot, kettle, black' comes to mind.

Do not feed the ego. Also, keep hands, fingers, and other limbs away from the ego.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »

Amazing part is, some people take 'JN, 'HUZ and others seriously

Wait Todd, you mean they weren't serious??

Boy do I feel foolish

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Burt
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

I think the $$ radio on his desk qualifies him as a big gun which he seems to despise, or something. It was pretty funny especially the yellow raincoat part.

I am hardly a big gun. The radio is cheaper, after inflation than the Swan 240 I bought in 1964.
Burt
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

Pete k1zjh

I did not sell TV cameras, I sold color TVs. I was not active "many years ago." I never bought a camera at a flea market. If I make a lot of money on something I never tell the buyer because I want the buyer to think he got a deal. Why is your call NOT listed on QRZ? What are you hiding from?
Burt
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »

I'm confused why one would participate in, and identify with, a hobby which one clearly despises.

I beleive that Carl KPD was on point, I'd put OIK in the same catagory as K1MAN, and the more attention we give him, the more he enjoys it. In many ways I feel sorry for him, his life must be quite empty and lonely, for few would tolerate such behavior. He may wish to Google "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". Clearly needs the Lord in his life.

I feel no need to think about it any more.

I do not despise "the hobby" and it is a hobby, not a service. I despise some of the characteristics of many hams. One ham said the happiest day of his life was a 30 minute contact on 2 meters. Now that is NO life.

K1ZJH

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

Pete k1zjh

I did not sell TV cameras, I sold color TVs. I was not active "many years ago." I never bought a camera at a flea market. If I make a lot of money on something I never tell the buyer because I want the buyer to think he got a deal. Why is your call NOT listed on QRZ? What are you hiding from?

Who is QRZ?  The final licensing authority?  Try using the FCC database.  And I am afraid it was you who
sold me the used Panasonic TV camera many years ago.  Burt, your track record speaks for itself.
Burt
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »

Pete k1zjh

Who is QRZ?  The final licensing authority?  Try using the FCC database.  And I am afraid it was you who
sold me the used Panasonic TV camera many years ago.  Burt, your track record speaks for itself.

You are in the FCC database, but it appears you want your address hidden (i.e. no listing in QRZ).  You can say cows can fly but that does not make it so.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »

You are in the FCC database, but it appears you want your address hidden (i.e. no listing in QRZ).

Your point?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »

QRZ is hardly a comprehensive list.....

You are in the FCC database, but it appears you want your address hidden (i.e. no listing in QRZ).  You can say cows can fly but that does not make it so.

What's wrong with the address in the FCC database....?

Again, more likely to be accurate.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »

The QRZ.com database is edited, and certain entries are "not listed by QRZ".  For example, Kevin WB4AIO.

That sucks.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »

Yea! And they removed my bio too!

====
Born in 1972, it was apparent at an early age he was a musical prodigy. By the age of five he had mastered the piano, violin and zither. By age six he had played in concert with the London Philharmonic. Through his music he mastered Latin, Italian, German, Russian and the French languages.

But music was not enough. He enrolled at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at age ten and by age 13 was awarded a Doctorate in Physics. At age 15 he left his position on the Board of Governors at Yale and embarked on an odyssey that took him to Sri Lanka, Timbuktu, and finally to the Dali Lama in Tibet. After living there for two years he traveled the globe for three years, visiting every country and continent. While in Europe he worked briefly at the Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire (CERN) with Tim Berners-Lee to develop the world wide web concept. He documented his travels and they will soon be published by Doubleday.

He eventually returned to live in the United States. He now winters in St. Moritz, for the skiing, summers in Newport, for the sailing, and frequents he French Riviera, for the parties. Many pleasant weekends are spent with friends and celebrities at his beach house in Key West boating, scuba diving, exploring ancient shipwrecks and singing Jimmy Buffet songs, with zither accompaniment.

He dabbles in painting, sculpture, wine making, full contact origami, sky diving, chili peppers, cave exploring, ice fishing, astronomy, breeding Bengal tigers and Formula One racing, while researching the human genome, working on the Space Station with NASA, writing episodes for Star Trek, NYPD Blue, The Simpsons and essays on life in Antarctica. All of this leaves little time for ham radio.

Those with similar interests are encouraged to contact the New Explorer Ritual and Discussion Society. Explorez le jour!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015