The AM Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:34:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Forum at Dayton  (Read 11018 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »

AMPLITUDE MODULATION
Friday, May 16, 2008 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Forum Room 2

Moderator and Speaker
Dale Gagnon, KW1I
"AM International Update."

Speaker
George Rancourt, K1ANX
"Restoring, Repairing and Receiving on the R390A"

Speaker: George Rancourt, K1ANX; This forum will include a pictorial presentation and a brief history of the R390A with step-by-step instructions on how to get your R390A up-and-running along with a discussion of the most frequently encountered mechanical and electrical problems. Also discussed will be operating tips, modifications for improved operation and alignment procedures. A R390A receiver and subassemblies will be on hand for inspection.

If everything goes according to plan, I'll be there this year for the first time in 4 years, travelling up with KN4ME and K4XK.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
NE4AM

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

I'll look forward to meeting you, OM.

73 - Dave

73 - Dave
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »

This is the forum that George put together for NEAR-Fest last October. It went so well and was praised so much by the attendees, Dale asked him to do it for Dayton.

George goes through the specific modules/chassis that make up the R-390A, and gives a lot of tips on repairs, modifications, and other work-arounds to keep your A running and even improve its performance and reliability. He's been playing with these things for many years, operating, repairing, rebuilding, selling, buying, and so on.

I would suggest anyone who enjoys old gear and history, regardless of a particular interest in the R-390 family of receivers, will enjoy attending. Not only is George a wonderful guy and R-390A guru, he's also funny as hell and has some excellent stories to tell about the Cold War era and a myriad of other related topics. He also puts to rest some of the myths surrounding these fine receivers.

And if you're able to attend NEAR-Fest IV in the fall, we've already worked out much of the program for George's workshop. The May event covered PTOs, paint, and other issues. October will include proper IF/RF alignment, including synchronization (timing) of the RF deck among other things.

Wish I was going to Dayton!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »

Wish I was going to Dayton!

Hey, who's going watch my "stuff" when nature calls Huh Grin

Speaking of "stuff", here's a partial list of stuff that's already packed:

National NC-303 with matching speaker and crystal calibrator, Hallicrafters, SX-99, Icom IC-229A, Icom IC-720A with matching power supply and mike, rather rare Squires Sanders monitor receiver including the engineering drawings (1 of 8 models built in their shop), several Command set receivers and several boxes of Command Set parts, 2 Polycomm 23 transceivers, Polycomm amplifier, RCA AR-8712 RDF (art deco style), Swan 250 noise blanker, Henry Radio transceiver, Lafayette RD-D600 (still in the box) 3 head recorder, several audio filters, several pieces of test equipment, several box cartons of tubes (most .50 to $1.00, some at $2), lots of parts, "Nifty" reference guides, and all 16,000 plus manuals will be at special pricing and free shipping. I'm doing this from memory so I probably missed a few items that were packed several days ago.

If you're heading to the Dayton Hamvention, stop by outside spaces 1960-1961 and say hello. See you all there.

* man1.jpg (7.66 KB, 114x156 - viewed 348 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

Oh, sure Pete - rub it in!! Would love to see the Poly gear and RCA receiver. Not to mention that SS monitor.

Take lots of good pics and just cross your legs until an AMer ambles by.  Wink

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

Hopefully, we will be at the AM Forum this year.  Dayton has been dropping off a bit in attendance, and gas prices pushing 4 bucks a gallon do not help, but we always enjoy seeing all of our friends at Dayton every year. 

Look for the DX-60 Net banner and KA9TOC's tables in the flea market...should be lots of AMers hanging around there.

I have not attended the AM Forum for the last couple of years, but the R390A session sounds very interesting...so will try to get there this time.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »

Oh, sure Pete - rub it in!! Would love to see the Poly gear and RCA receiver. Not to mention that SS monitor.

Take lots of good pics and just cross your legs until an AMer ambles by.  Wink

I'll be heading out with no admission ticket, no vendor space tickets, and only a phone call assurance from one of the flea market workers that my "vendor package" will be waiting for me at the flea market office. Of course, I submitted my application back in January, and after a number of e-mails, they finally told me on May 7th that they couldn't find it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »

We'll be at 2009 and 2010.  KB3NQD will be at adjacent spaces.

Bringing a beautiful CV-1722/URR (SSB converter for the R-390, like a CV-591), a Kahn SSB converter/sync detector, a Gonset G-76, a Navy WLR-6(?) submarine countermeasures receiver, a Mackay Dymek VLF/HF preselector, and assorted junk

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

We'll be at 2009 and 2010.  KB3NQD will be at adjacent spaces.

Bringing... a Kahn SSB converter/sync detector

Can you give some info and specs on it?  Does it work off 455 kHz i.f.?  Is it a true DSB synch detector (as opposed to virtually the same thing as the old sideband slicer)?  How does it achieve  lock, etc.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wb2fof

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »

Bob WB2FOF, Rob, KC2EOC, Brian W8KHZ and Dale N2DM will be at 3352-54 with ton's more crap than W3JN. Good big crap with tubes !  Choice pieces SP600JX21, a couple of r390A's and yes a real Collins R391 autotune, some early Mackay, Halli Skyrider 23 and military real radios !

You can spend time at our space, and not breathe hot dog smoke and smell porta-pottie stench like JN's  place !!

FOF radio ..........We screw you every way we can ! Huzman sales training certified !

FOF

Bob
ka3zlr
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:54 PM »

A lot of heavy weights coming in, man,..be nice to catch everybody at one point..don't know if i can get Friday off..I'll have to check with the State Dept. and she what she says...
K6KAI
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »

CANT MAKE DAYTON, ANY CHANCE THE SPEAKER/MODERATOR CAN MAKE VIDEO OR DOWNLOADS FOR THE REST OF US? WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND BUT LIVE ON THE LEFT COAST AND GAS ALREADY @ $4.00FOR 9/10 OF A GAL. OTHER WISE I.LL HAVE A R390A UP FOR SALE SOON.THX. K6KAI
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »

Don, it's a Kahn RSSB-62.  Not a lot of info on it on the net, but I have a manual.

It's for 455 KHz IF but could be adjusted for 500 KHz.  It is NOT a DSB (selectable sideband) SSB converter but does have a sync detector function.  The carrier needs to be within 25 Hz of the oscillator for it to lock, and it locks pretty slowly.  It is VERY cool, though, with 3 meters and about 30 nuvistors.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

You guys might check out TAPR / HPSDR. They might have the new Mercury RX up and running. I'm sure they will have the Exciter working since it was shipped 2 weeks ago to all the members.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

^^ Putting my eyes out with knitting needles might be a bit more fun, Frank  Grin

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »

We wrestled with the video issue when George put on the first workshop last fall and decided it was better not to allow taping. This was based on videos sold on ebay of other people's work, without their consent or any compensation.

There is a very thorough video set available from Floyd Soo/Hi Res Communications outlining repair, maintenance, alignment, and operation of the R-390A. IIRC, Chuck Ripple narrates and demonstrates. Not cheap, but should answer any questions you might have about the receiver.

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »

Bob WB2FOF, Rob, KC2EOC, Brian W8KHZ and Dale N2DM will be at 3352-54 with ton's more crap than W3JN. Good big crap with tubes !  Choice pieces SP600JX21, a couple of r390A's and yes a real Collins R391 autotune, some early Mackay, Halli Skyrider 23 and military real radios !

You can spend time at our space, and not breathe hot dog smoke and smell porta-pottie stench like JN's  place !!

FOF radio ..........We screw you every way we can ! Huzman sales training certified !

FOF

We shall see, Oh yes, we will! See you there Bob!

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 09:47:33 PM »

Yes, it is true.  NEAR-Fest is pleased to loan out our featured Workshop leader to the Dayton Hamvention this year.  For those of you like me who aren't going, George will be doing his regular R-390 Workshop at NEAR-Fest in October.  He's going to show us how to perform an alignment on it.  George is given all the time he wants or needs to do his Workshop and it may run for hours.  We also offer a nice door prize exclusively to Forum attendees.  Earlier this month Jennifer Weiner of Monticello Maine won the Hi-Res Communications R-390A Video graciously donated by Floyd Soo, W8RO.

Reading all the activity makes me wish I were going - the first time I felt like this in eight years.

Have a great time, lads. 

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »

Stop by and see Johnny-W3JN, me and some other AM gagstas at space 2008.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »

Putting my eyes out with knitting needles might be a bit more fun, Frank 

who was that goof on saturday night live years and years ago who made gags about putting his eyes out spurting fake blood and ran around screaming "MY EYES! MY EYES! ?

I dont think it was Andy Kaufman, he did the wrestling with women shtick.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »

This maybe of interest..............

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4106/saturday-night-live-mr-mikes-mormons

klc

What? Me worry?
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »

As this is written, I am 25 feet from a WiFi hotspot sitting outside the RV at the KOA in Dayton. The weather forcast is not bad and the "party" begins tomorrow.

Life is GOOD!

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015