The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UTC power xfmr #FJ-943  (Read 2254 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: February 28, 2008, 06:50:21 PM »

???So I finally got around to organizing my junk boxes AGAIN and came across this tranny.  Multi-tap pri of 110, 117 and 120 VAC. sec has 2 x 6.3V windings, and  you can get between 625 and 700 vct depending on which tap on the primary you choose. Question is, how many MA is the rating? It's a UTC FJ-943. The number right under that is B-949718-1. This may have come from a piece of broadcast equipment because it was salvaged from a radio station. Also, because it lacks a 5v rect winding, is it possible this may have been used or could be used with a SS rectifier in a PS?  Thanks a million! Mike, ex K9ZSL, and still studying for the ticket. Should have 'cause I am oficially retired as of the 15th.  73!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »

No reason it couldn't be used with solid state rectifiers.  It could have been built for a piece of equipment using 6.3 volt rectifiers, such as the 6X5, 6Z5, 84/6Z4, 6AX5, etc.

I suspect it is a transformer custom built for another manufacturer.  That does not look like a standard UTC off-the-shelf type number.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »

I wonder if I dare using a voltage doubler in a SS rect and then take the two 6.3 Vac taps and use each one for the filiments of a pair of 811As one tap for each bulb. That xfmr is one brute. I can pull at least 300 MA. On the 'tuther hand, The MV xfmr from the Gates could do the same thing as far as the plate xfmr goes. However I have a NIB UTC 6.3 VAC filiment xfmr I could also use with the Gates. Only difference is in the line voltage. The finals could either work with a bridge at 120 VAC primary or 240 with the SS rect. from the Gates that replaced the merc vapors. The transformer is from the BC-1T when it was 250 watts before they converted it to 1KW so the plate xfmr is a gem. Perfect for a 4-125A mudulated by 2 x 811A's. Dream rig. I know in my heart-of-hearts 240 is the way to go but that means some new AC trunks. MAK Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015