The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HB Exciter for AM rig W/4-125A Final.  (Read 2282 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: March 21, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »

I dredged up some vintage diagrams from circa. 1950 Radio Handbook. Not ARRL. I found two versions of a Novice transmitter, 2-tube xtal w/custom-wound coils. I'd like to use that to start my design. Couple of questions. Where can I score a 12" x 10" x3" chassis or somewhere close?

I'd like to stick with 80/40 but to keep the AM art alive, I'm open to options. The exciter could be band-switching to the AM hot spots (may they live forever). Go away Single-Sidewinders and leave us Dynos alone. Or, my housing is an old Gates Cart recorder housing, so I have the option of a sliding drawer and wind the coils. I'm looking at using an osc either xtal or switch to VFO w/ 6L6 output. Am planning to feed a 4-125A with a similar circuit from the same Handbook for about 250 watts. The exciter theoretically should put out  how many watts?  1,800 VDC no load on the plates of the final into a PI net.

Thanks for letting me ramble but now that I got my vacation time in (first month of my retirement), time to get back to work. Any good tutorials out there for an OT ready for a re-tread?  Mike Kuehl  (ex-K9ZSL) Cheesy
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »

I dredged up some vintage diagrams from circa. 1950 Radio Handbook. Not ARRL. I found two versions of a Novice transmitter, 2-tube xtal w/custom-wound coils. I'd like to use that to start my design. Couple of questions. Where can I score a 12" x 10" x3" chassis or somewhere close?

Radio Daze http://radiodaze.com/ has a 12 x 10 x 2. or a 12 x 8  x 3. They are really good to work with

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »

So much for that part of the question. I don't really want to wind those coils. They're a pain on a pill bottle. Basic sketchomatic is from the Radio Handbook 12th. Edition 1949.  Chapter 3, Exciters and Low Power Transmitters. On Page 46 there is a nice little 20 watt unit in two versions and the power supply. It's a 6AG7, L/C parallel-tuned circuit to a 6L6 with L/C in version 2. In the same volume are the amps. I want to build a 1949 vintage rig. Have a lot of the parts!  Tnx for helping the OT find his oats again.  73/MK Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015