The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:44:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1938 ARRL Wouff-Hong on ebay  (Read 16957 times)
W1UJR
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »

A $898.88 toy?  WOW ! ! ! !

Ron

Well, that's one Wouff Hong that won't be going out in the trash.
Yep, $900 for one is an eye opener, but on the other side, I see the price insures that Wouff Hong will be well cared for, and passed onto future generations.
I'm glad to see that someone values radio history so greatly.  Cheesy
ab3al
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »

my wife just looked over my shoulder and saw the picture... after utteringg a few things in spanish she accused me of being in an adult chat forum..  lucy how the heck can i be splaining this
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »

lucy how the heck can i be splaining this

Has she seen ur avatar Huh
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 11:30:15 AM »

I live on the lake that was modeled after the Wouff-Hong.

vH

* keuka lake reduced.jpg (3.73 KB, 125x187 - viewed 372 times.)

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »

Herb, I think you should petition the town to change the name to Wouff-Hong Lake, and supply backing data in the form of photos, historical documents, and even an actual reproduction example to prove the point.

Of course, 100 years from now any surviving souvenir Wouffs will likely be used as door stops or clothes line holders, perhaps outlasting most old gear by a few years for having some utility. Maybe the Smithsonian will keep one somewhere in a dusty closet? Because if memory serves me correctly, didn't the ARRL once have a nice, large display of donated and preserved old gear at HQ which has since been mostly dispersed? Guess they were ahead of the curve for a change.

Come to think of it Herb, that lake has a pretty good name right now.  Wink

Congrats to Mike on his ebay win, too.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »

From the 1926 Radio Amateurs Handbook (which was the first edition) and I quote:

"The Old Man...T.O.M. is an odd radio character who puts into words the things that we all feel at times but find difficult of expression.

The Old Man sits in his "Shack"  and reflects on the "rottenness" of everything. He glares at "Kitty", spitting out his grouch on all who care to listen. At his right hand he keeps the sacred Wouff Hong to use in punishing those who commit offenses against the radio law. The Rettysnitch is kept within easy reach to use in enforcing the principles of decency in operating work. Close by is Old Betsy , another ancient piece of radio apparatus (rotary gap), into which are fed the remains after the Wouff Hong and Rettysnitch have done their work.

The Old Man visits the Radio Club  and there we meet Radical, Final Authority, and other radio celebrities, all easily recognized in any gathering of amateurs." (Note: esp. here on the AM Forum) - MM.

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015