The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:23:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thordarson Tranny Mystery  (Read 2594 times)
stevef
« on: February 16, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

I have a Thordarson plate transformer that I cannot find any reference material for.  I dug through the Bunker of Doom material thoroughly.  The closest match in terms of looks, weight, and voltages is the T-19P68.   Mine is badged as T-41268 and has a 230v primary, with 6000 and 4900v secondaries with common C.T.  What I'm really trying to find out is that the primary connectors are bolt lugs on top of an insulator of some sort that can switch like a DPST switch when the nuts are loosened.  What is this switching function for?

* thord2.JPG (49.77 KB, 648x486 - viewed 333 times.)

* thord1.JPG (36.45 KB, 648x486 - viewed 325 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »

It's difficult to find  data on Thordarson transformers.  They frequently changed their product line, and assigned new type numbers to all their products, even those that were not subject to any change in design.  It can be frustrating to have several catalogues, and none of them list the transformer you are looking for, but you would about have to have every year's catalogue from the time they started manufacturing to be able to find them all.  I have seen identical transformers with completely different part numbers stamped on the nameplates.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
stevef
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »

Well after shining a penlight in the narrow gap of the side plate, I was convinced there was no 'switch' action going on.  There is a heavy retainer spring on the underside of the insulator that was responsible for the feeling of a switch.  Duh. Tongue
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »

strapping! put that into a rig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015