The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why it is a good idea to get an annual physical  (Read 13416 times)
W1QWT

« on: February 05, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

In mid January I had my annual physical and I had been exercising about 20 to 30 minutes a day on an Exercycle.
I was dieting, lost 20lbs. and felt better than I had before the diet. I never really had any problems except getting a little out of breadth on exertion.
Well Doctor says,"You cholesterol is only 136, LDL is low, everything looks good just let me give you a quick EKG and your on your way".
He comes back in and says,"I see a couple of blips on the EKG that weren't there last year so I would like you to have a Stress Test.
On the stress test I thought I did good cause I made it to the running part after 10 minutes.
Cardiologist says,"I need to have you have a Cardiac Cathertization Angiogram to see where the blockage is and how bad it is".
So a few days later I am at the New England Medical Center in Boston and I hear the cardiologist say,"We found your problem but it can only be fixed by surgery." (No Stents in that artery)
So I am schedule for a by-pass the next morning.
Last Tuesday they did a quad bypass and I got home this past Sunday. It's like drive through surgery!
Still hurts like hell when I cough but otherwise on the mend.
I bring this to you attention to indicate how important an annual physical is even if your feeling pretty good.
I had the main artery blocked 90% feeding the left side of the heart plus another one at 80%, a 70%, and a 60 %.
The cardiologist said the prognosis was not good if I didn't have the operation.
Boy a major operation sure affects your outlook on things. Now I just have to move a radio into the den where I am convalescing so I can get on the air.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Good to see you're back among us, Q - and very glad to hear that it all worked out. Your remarks about the yearly physical have good merit, backed up by your recent experience. Makes me realize I'm a coupla months overdue.

Take some time to recover, play a little radio, and prepare for NEAR-Fest III. Seems you had a wedding last October and couldn't make it?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »

Q I had heard that they were making an extra cloverleaf around your heart and I am glad to now read, first-hand, that you've come through it fine.

My dad has done well with FIVE way bypass surgery from a few years ago.

They put two paths to one chamber, as long as they were in there, because the heart wall was not so strong that they could guarantee the grafted vein would "take" and not just scar up, so they improved the odds.

FIX YOUR DIET, BECAUSE WHAT YOU EAT CAN CLOG YOU UP AGAIN.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »

Due to my aortal dissection 4 years ago, I get a physical every six months,  an MRI/CT Scan  every 4 months, plus the usual  proctology exam every year.

This year the doc used two fingers -  thus giving me a second opinion on the spot!    Tongue

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:53:22 PM »

Please make sure the Doc has only one hand on your back.

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »

WOW there was quite a secret hiding in your body!!! My Oncologist said that the medical profession would never recommend a CT scan for health checks, coz they would almost always see something from a CT Scan. I'm going every 4 mos to make sure the nasty cancer has not returned and they now see "something" in my lungs. A coupla spots. Scar tissue?
She said "just move on with life".
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »

Yeah, I passed out from back pain on New Years. I woke up with the dog licking my face and the XYL yelling, "911, 911". In short, I went to see my neurologist who ran a battery of test on me. One was an echo cardio gram. Appearantly, I have a mild enlargement of the left atria and left ventrical. The rest of the plumbing looks as if everything is free flowing. In the meantime, I'm waiting to get my appointment to the cardio suite. This story is still being written.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about natural spices and how good they are for the body. nutmeg, cinnamin, Ginger and of course Garlic. We all remember Mom using this stuff but how about us.
Glad I took my Garlic tab today......And the people I work with are glad it wasn't a fresh clove. Radiator flush for the system.

Glad we all woke up today so we can P&M like old buzzards.
W1QWT

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:56:02 AM »

Seems you had a wedding last October and couldn't make it?

Yes last spring I had to miss NEARFEST to go to my cousins daughter's wedding but I will be there this spring.
I love the proctology part of the exam!

Sometimes I feel that it was a mistake because I felt so good. Atleast they caught it before I had a heart attack.
I was glad to have it done at a major Boston teaching hospital. The level of care was excellent. The surgeon who did it was the chief of cardiac thorascic surgery.

Any way everyday I am a little better.
Regards
Q,  W1QWT

o

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »

Did I ever tell you guys about my prostate......     Tongue

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »

Q:

Welcome home!

Glad you are better. I bet hauling boatanchors will keep your blood flowing!

Take care,
Dan
W1DAN
Natick
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »

I love the proctology part of the exam!

Sometimes I feel that it was a mistake because I felt so good.

Hmmmm...................... interesting........   

:-)

All kidding aside.... glad it worked out ok.....

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

Not to change the subject but keep this as a health in general thread, I've been dealing with some dental problems that have been ongoing for the last 2 years.  Took an hour out of my day yesterday to deal with some ongoing periodontal issues  that took me by surprise about 8 months ago. Yesterday I had the upper ride side of my gums stripped back and cleaned on both sides of the teeth because of undetected bone loss by my regular dentist.  I have to go through this for the lower right side as well in the coming weeks.  This all started with a tooth becoming abscest, in addition to 6 years of not seeing a dentist or hygenist, suffice it to say, neglect. 

Supposedly there are connections between teeth and heart/circulatory problems.  Although my BP, heart, circulation, etc. check out OK fine you don't want to mess with this.  Despite not having heart, etc problems related to periodontal issues, periodontal issues aside is a big ass pain. 

The short of it, don't neglect your teeth. See your dentist and practice regular hygiene.  It isn't worth trying to save a buck or being inconvenienced. If you have to pay cash do it. 

Nothing I can't stand more is having my eating patterns interrupted and interfered with.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »

Brush and floss daily. Good thread here.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=6787.0

Yes, there may be a link between periodontal disease and heart disease.

http://www.perio.org/consumer/bacteria.htm
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »

Oh Why not, I cracked the corner off one of my silver mines this past weekend.
Looks like it is crown time. The composite patch job has been undermined. No pain but the tip of my tongue is red from sticking it into the sharp hole. I know I get the big needle and I'm chicken  when he comes around the field of view with that finish nail size set of tools. EERRRRR Heck of a way to get out of work early.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »

My Oncologist said that the medical profession would never recommend a CT scan for health checks, coz they would almost always see something from a CT Scan.

I had a suspicious looking "spot" on my lung in 2005 on an X-ray.  The docs followed up with a CT and saw a dangerous looking something or other.  A PET scan showed nothing, but I decided to go ahead and have it dealt with.  A team of oncologists convinced me I was about to die if I didn't have it removed.  One right lung wedge resection later, they found ... a misplaced lymph node and nothing else.

On those "finger" exams, I don't really mind that much.  My current primary physician is a very attractive female .. and she is extremely thorough Smiley
Grant/NQ5T
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 04:34:58 AM »

I'm on heavy duty antibiotics and scheduled for a root canal in a couple of days. Not in much pain though, hydrocodone has made me a happy camper! Smiley

I had a  root canal and a new crown done last month within a week of each other.  I ought to own stock in the companies that make crowns and root canal material.  I have  lost count.

Damn, this is beginning to sound like 75m slopbucket!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »

A lot are.  Just tune across 75, 40 or 20 with the BFO on and note the extended  conversations regarding prescription drugs, constipation, colonoscopy results, and lists of ailments.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

75 meters Organ Recitals  .... ..      klc

What? Me worry?
K3ZS

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »

Avoid the root canals if you can.    Get the tooth removed and get an bone implant if your bones will support one.   I have had root canals and crowns go bad after a while.   Replacing one now with an implant and a new crown or whatever they call the tooth that goes on an implant.   I should have saved the cost of the earlier procedure and had an implant initially.
I am an average old geezer ham.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

I get craptonitus about 9:30 every night.

Doc repaired my tooth said it wasn't ready for a crown. Cost me $31 with copay.
kb3nqd
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

I bring this to you attention to indicate how important an annual physical is even if your feeling pretty good.
I had the main artery blocked 90% feeding the left side of the heart plus another one at 80%, a 70%, and a 60 %.
The cardiologist said the prognosis was not good if I didn't have the operation.
Boy a major operation sure affects your outlook on things. Now I just have to move a radio into the den where I am convalescing so I can get on the air.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Good to hear that you caught this early and are feeling better.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  It never ceases to amaze me how many people will get their car serviced religiously or recap and realign their rig every other year, but will not treat their own body to the same level of care.  Physicals aren't the most pleasant thing in the world (especially after 50 from what I hear) but they sure do help the docs catch things early.  I just got done with mine a month ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015