The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:02:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Supah Bowl Sundae, baybee!!  (Read 46128 times)
KA1ZGC
« on: February 03, 2008, 02:12:36 AM »

Yep, it all comes down to this.

I know, you're all expecting me to come off like the unapologetic Pats fan sitting at the counter at Joe's Diner in those NFL Network ads.

You don't grow up in a Giants household in the days of Bill Parcells, Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, true undeniable Giants glory, some of the very best who ever played the game, and the original Gatorade Dump (thankyouverymuch); then become a Patriots fan (way before Belechick and Brady, hell, before even Parcells and Bledsoe (and screw you too, Victor Kiam, wherever you are, buy this)), and survive very long without retaining some amount of respect, and a little bit of class.

After that prelude, how much class is left as an exercise for the attentive reader.

I say this without tongue-in-cheek, without my fingers crossed, without any hidden meaning, without any presumed outcome, and no actual money riding on the game:

May the best team win.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught

...but in case you were wondering who "the unapologetic Pats fan at Joe's Diner" is that I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hUv_Rf09lU
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:48:30 AM »

I will boycott the TV in favor of more bench time to get the flash-box re-conditioned and Yaesu #1 back on line. Enjoys h game for those of youse so inclined, but I decline. I got gear to repair.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 07:07:09 AM »

I will boycott the TV in favor of more bench time to get the flash-box re-conditioned and Yaesu #1 back on line. Enjoys h game for those of youse so inclined, but I decline. I got gear to repair.

I'll second that too though my interest in televised sports these days has pretty much vanished.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »

They shud pay us to watch them... Cheesy..The commercials can be fun... I have a better time watching my 13 year old and his team playing Baseball...  All Baseball family here OM's...
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »

More cheerleader time.
No ballplayers.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 07:37:27 AM »

I have less than zero interest in this event.   I'm sure I can find something productive to do.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »

I LOVE FOOTBALL
I watch the game and try not to get wrapped up in the stupid stuff. My Dad says the same thing as you guys but I remember the days of Y.A. and him going crazy.
3 generations hoping.
nothing like putting on a set of pads and bulldozing...or avoid being nailed.
Baseball yawn
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

I'm sure the players will have fun, and collect their checks,
I'm sure the fans will have a good time, and drink too much.....

And I'm SURE the advertisers will sell whatever it is they're trying to peddle, and pay too much in the process........

And most of all.. I am SURE I won't be watching...........

have fun

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »

I also have less than zero interest in "the game"!! About as interesting to watch as a hemmrhoid operation! I hope it will be on sometime near radio prime time, I will get on running as much soup as I can just to piss off my neighbors Grin Grin After this past years escapades, I definately owe them this one!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »

*whew*
glad to see I am not the only nerd that doesn't watch sports.  Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »

Hey Mack,
If I had just bought a radio like yours I'd run coax into the living room and do both.
I don't watch yawn ball or monkey ball or travelers. Golf would put me into a coma.
My OM thought the best football players should take ballet in the off season.
football is QRO
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »

I find the Super Bowl commercials to be entirely overrated.  They're typically some attempt to be funny or clever by slick videography/animation or jerky editing that comes off as neither funny nor clever.  The last thing I'd ever do is run out and spend $$ on some product after watching one of these goofy and ultra-expensive ads.

--- Post No Bills ---
KA1ZGC
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

I have less than zero interest in this event.   I'm sure I can find something productive to do.

Me , too...no interest at all.

I am SURE I won't be watching...........

I also have less than zero interest in "the game"!! About as interesting to watch as a hemmrhoid operation!

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many noses shoot into the air at one time before!

Sorry if you guys are "too good" for a sporting event that's going to make history no matter who wins, but there are plenty of us on this board who enjoy the sport (not the BS surrounding it) that are going to discuss it, and are going to watch.

If you're not into football, that's just fine, but trashing a thread about it is hardly a constructive way to deal with it, now is it? There are plenty of other threads you guys can join in on.

Oh, well, have fun embroidering your doileys, boys.  Kiss
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »

Thom, I will be watching. I usually turn the volume down so I don't have to listen to the Fox announcers and listen to the locals on WBCN. A bit of a delay but it doesn't bother me. Plenty of cold 807s and pizza on the way. Yes may the best (Patriots) team win. Grin

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
KA1ZGC
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »

Thom, I will be watching. I usually turn the volume down so I don't have to listen to the Fox announcers and listen to the locals on WBCN.

BCN's got it, huh? I wonder if they've got the distribution rights. That'll probably be Fox, just like EEI had the local World Series broadcast rights but ESPN (IIRC) had the rights everywhere else.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

I turned my back on NFL feetballs when Bob Irsay moved the Baltimore Colts in the middle of the night to Indy. That was the end for me. Big slap in the face.

Loud and proud: I say it thusly: F THE NFL !!!!111one

The only football I follow now is West Va. Mountaineers college ball. Not getting down on those who dig it, just sayin I dont. I honestly will enjoy myself more on the bench reconditioning my gear to last for many a year.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

The only football I follow now is West Va. Mountaineers college ball.

Never could get into college ball. I don't like the way they figure the standings. How well a team plays, how many victories, and so on don't seem to matter as much as fan appeal, how much you run up the score (all those things a lot of people say they don't like about the NFL), and all kinds of things that have nothing to do with how well you played the game.

That, and a lot of schools won't insure their players, and also won't let them get jobs so they can get insurance on their own. They'll make millions off 'em in ticket revenue, and turn their backs on them if they get hurt doing so.

They're a bunch of ungrateful bloodsuckers, they don't need or deserve my money.

Not getting down on those who dig it, just sayin I dont. I honestly will enjoy myself more on the bench reconditioning my gear to last for many a year.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it leaves more pizza and beer for the rest of us!
K3ZS

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

I used to watch real football games on TV with my parents when visiting them in the 60's and 70's.    They used to have the whole game on, including the half-time shows with the marching bands and cheerleaders.     Now it's all replays, what other teams are doing, delays for commercials and no half-time shows (except for the super bowl).     Now the games are extended for four hours, taking about 1 hour a quarter.    I used to go to Penn State games here in Happy Valley.    They started making the stadium seats smaller and more uncomfortable.    Then they made the game longer with game delays for commercials.    We and the friends we used to go to the games with, now watch them on TV and socialize during the long commercials.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

Thom, we're in agreement on one thing, college football treats their players like disposable dogs. I've personally known 3 young men that were full scholarship college players (only way all 3 could have gone to college) and suffered football ending injuries. All 3 were dumped like useless thrash, not even partial scholarships offered. Why the NCAA allows this practice to continue is a shame that cannot be explained. All football scholarship students need an agent and lawyer before they even speak to any college today. It's disgusting.

The answer's as simple as it is despicable: money.

These schools charge outrageous tuitions, rake in millions upon millions in ticket sales, concession sales, merchandising deals, broadcast rights, you name it. When one of these kids gets hurt and can't play anymore, they cry "poverty".

The NCAA lets it happen because the NCAA makes their money based on how much money the member schools make. If they did something about it, they'd lose revenue. Instead, they turn a blind eye in tacit support. Making more money by letting these things happen takes less fortitude than righting a wrong.

Add to that the number of schools that are state-run institutions, suck money out of their local tax base in spite of the millions of bucks they make on some of their sports programs, which are mostly exempt from taxes because they masquerade as an "educational" cash cow. Every time their budget comes up for state approval, they've got their hand out looking for more. Never any mention of their extra-cirricular revenues, just guys in very expensive suits and "will work for food" signs.

We've got one just like that here. I used to work for them. You wouldn't beleive the size of some of the checks they'd write (I know because I printed them) and who was getting the money. The faculty almost went on strike en-masse because they were told they'd have to actually start contributing to their retirment funds, like those of us in the real world have to.

They get far less sympathy from me than anyone else does (if you can beleive that's possible).

We should probably not go too much further down this road, it could be a long one.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »

College monkey ball is the worst. They throw out a net and drag in street people and hope they don't get busted for 4 years.  Then they set up a basket weaving program so they can actually pass third grade courses. Uconn scams 1 mil from CPTV to air the games.
I don't watch college anything
ka3zlr
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »

Oh I know all about this, we're on the Second daughter going through College..And the Boys get the best rooms, the best tutors, "Some do have a Little Education problem there"...but it's not Talked about muchly... Cool.. I like hearing my daughter go on and on about the Sports facilities and the Little Goodies that go along with it... Oh Well... Pay the tuition Dad...
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »

I agree with everything - but when you from West Virginia, you got nothin else.  Tongue Cry

KA1ZGC
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »

I hear ya, Derb... an' ah feel yer pain.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many noses shoot into the air at one time before!

Sorry if you guys are "too good" for a sporting event that's going to make history no matter who wins, but there are plenty of us on this board who enjoy the sport (not the BS surrounding it) that are going to discuss it, and are going to watch.

If you're not into football, that's just fine, but trashing a thread about it is hardly a constructive way to deal with it, now is it? There are plenty of other threads you guys can join in on.

Oh, well, have fun embroidering your doileys, boys.  Kiss

Where did I ever say ANY of that, THom?  Just indicating my complete lack of interest in the event.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ka3zlr
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »

Oh I know all about this, we're on the Second daughter going through College..And the Boys get the best rooms, the best tutors, "Some do have a Little Education problem there"...but it's not Talked about muchly... Cool.. I like hearing my daughter go on and on about the Sports facilities and the Little Goodies that go along with it... Oh Well... Pay the tuition Dad...

Yeah they gets the perks while making big bucks for the college. Unfortunately most get ZIP when the old knee blows out, etc. It's one of those "we don't know you anymore" deals.

Hi Big Mack  Smiley

The first Daughter used her head an went the hospital route for education, Let the Hospital Pay for it...she worked her way up, then went for her BSN, on up the ladder she went...This one is interested in teaching ..a little different aspect...Not much help from the Grant folks...Oh well we help as much as we can...each one is different....help when we can though...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015