The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:15:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work not only 80/75 "outside the asterick" but work 160 AM DSB tonight too.  (Read 6144 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: January 01, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »

K4KYV recommended working all the non asterisk (*) freq's beginning midnight Jan 1.  Topic Expanded by Pete, WA2CWA and others in the IARU thread.

We should also work 'all over' 160 tonight too. Same reason but amplified, since all of 160 is outside the asterisk. "

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »

What asterisk? No asterisks anywhere on my dial.

If a frequency's not in use, it's free for me to use. Until I hear differently, that's the law.

--Thom
Killer Album One Zappa's Greatest Compositions
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »

The 160 meter band plan was "expanded and enlightened" back in 2001 by the ARRL.
http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-0107/160-meter.html
For AM they said the following:
"AM Operation

The Committee received a large number of comments from the AM community and vintage equipment operators. The vast majority stated that they did not want any changes made regarding AM. There are established and recognized frequencies used on 160 for AM. For example, 1.945 MHz. has been used for almost 45 years. Also, 1.885 MHz and 1.925 MHz. are long established frequencies as well.

The Committee spent considerable time on this topic and considerable discussion was held directly with AM operators who sent messages to the Committee. Based upon this input, the Committee recommends no changes with respect to AM operation.

As a side note, during the review of AM operations, the Committee discussed whether to suggest that AM rag chewing be conducted above 1.900 MHz. While limiting rag chewing to frequencies above 1.900 MHz might be desirable, the majority of the Committee felt there should not be such a limit as it conflicted with the input received."

And in the Summary, Note 7:
"7. AM operations continue to share the same band segment as SSB. No specific calling frequencies for AM operation should be identified."

No "asterisks" anywhere; no bandwidth limitations; depending upon mode, you can dance and wear fancy shoes anywhere you want! The bad boys did it again.  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

I agree with Thom, not some 2001 anecdote that then lead to an inspiring loss on a bandwidth proposal...just how long ago...we took your opinions, we really did but we don't need them now...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »

As was discussed numerous times on the "other" thread, some countries (actually quite a few if you consider all three IARU Regions) have a need and/or a desire. But, then again, it's prefaced with "voluntary".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »

So where was everyone last night...face down in the rug?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »

So where was everyone last night...face down in the rug?

It's "..the american way.."

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:52:01 PM »

I was on 3685 throughout early evening.  Must have been 8 or 9 stations in and out of that QSO.  Band condx varied, with the band going long at times. At one point a bunch of slopbuckets tried the typical 2 kc-away tactic, but they didn't last long.

About 11 PM went to the house.  Wife and I had our annual new year's champaign toast, and watched a PBS re-run of Garrison Keillor's new year special at the Ryman in Nashville (that we attended in person last year).   When it was over at 1 AM  local time, there wasn't much activity on the band.  I called CQ on 3685 again, but no response, so called it a night.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »

Heard you "down" there Don but can't work below 3700.  Guess I hold on to "advanced" through stubborness.   Just heard Jay, n3wwl on 3730 or so this afternoon but he didn't come back.  I'm still pw this early in the day I guess.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »

Sorry Don. After the traditional cannon blast (3 this year) to ring in the new year I checked the usual 3885 area, 3715 - 3730. I shuda came down lower but the band sounded dead. So I went and cuddled with the wife until 8 this morning.

I'll check ya out tonite fo shur !

* Mortar.jpg (63.52 KB, 350x350 - viewed 350 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

Nice goin Mack !!

After the cannon shots I follow it up with a blast from the .50 Hawkins Rifle.
150 gr. of FFFG with a patch makes a big boom. And, as you said, the muzzle
flash is great. Most of the powder burns outside the barrel so it makes a nice
orange/red flare like trail !!!

Good schtuph !
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:42 AM »

At 0300 GMT I called CQ on about 3851.  The frequency was clear +/- 7 or 8 kHz.  Worked two stations in Houston, each running riceboxes but claimed they also owned plate modulated rigs for AM.  No hecklers or SSB QRM.  QSO continued until about 0345.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015