The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:00:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Heavy Metal Rally ????  (Read 20999 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:27 AM »

I haven't been able to find any announcements about the Heavy Metal Rally for 2007.

The Rally is a wonderful event that can be used to our (AM'ers) significant advantage to promote both heavy metal AM equipment, and the AM mode in general.  Face it, people love contests!  They plan for them, get equipment for them, and of course participate.  Contests draw attention, people want to get involved, and that's what we want.

With some minor modifications to the Rally rules, this event can (and, in my opinion WILL - with the changes) become a SIGNIFICANT ham radio event, and will still spotlight Vintage Heavy Metal, where it all started.

So, with that I respectfully suggest the following:

The annual Heavy Metal Rally will be held (insert dates/times here).

The Heavy Metal Rally is not a traditional Ham radio call sign echo.  This is a night for friendly AM QSOs.  Participants are encouraged to find out about the operator, the equipment in use, some history, etc., particularly if this is their first QSO with the station.

The Heavy Metal Rally is open to anyone using AM equipment such as: restored broadcast, military, homebrew, any commercial ham gear meeting the requirements, i.e. Johnson Invader 2000, Viking Desk KW, Globe King 500, Collins KW-1, etc., big solid state equipment (class E rigs, etc), AM linears (regardless of the exciter), etc.  The idea is AM operation with high power and/or physically heavy equipment (particularly vintage equipment).

In addition to a certificate issued to the station with the most overall points, special awards will be issued in two categories:

Classic Heavy Metal.  To qualify in this category, the transmitter must be a vacuum tube, directly-modulated AM transmitter (screen, plate, cathode, absorbtion, ampliphase, etc. (I.E. not a linear amplifier) and run at least 250 watts of power (output) or weigh at least 250 pounds.  If the transmitter meets either or both of the qualifications, it qualifies.  A special Classic Heavy Metal trophy will be awarded to the winner in this category.

Alternative Heavy Metal.  This category includes everything not included in the Classic Heavy Metal category, provided the transmitter meets the basic requirements of Heavy Metal - an AM transmitter running at least 250 watts (output) or weighing at least 250 pounds.  This includes all transmitters such as exciters driving linear amplifiers, solid state high level modulated transmitters, etc.  The sky is the limit, as long as you're on AM and meet the weight and/or power requirements.

Other "special" honorable mentions may be issued for unusual feats, such as the "longest old-buzzard transmission heard", or "most FM heard on an AM station", "loudest hum", "lowest watts per pound",  "mid-QSO equipment failures" (for people like Gary), and things of this nature.

Suggested Frequencies: 1885 Kc east of Mississippi, 1915 Kc West; 3830 Kc, 3870-3890 Kc, nationwide, 7290 Kc.  These are only suggestions.  All legal frequencies and bands may be used!!

The rules for the Heavy Metal Rally are as follows:

Scoring: You get 1 point per contact on each different band. If you work the same station on both 80 and 160 it counts for two points. You get 1 point for each different state worked.
Example: if you work 20 stations in 10 different states, the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states = 30 points.

Consideration will also given to stations who are the subjects of emails or letters from SWLs or others regarding signal quality or strength, and stations receiving such comments will be duly noted and will receive an honorable mention.

The winner *must* be running AM, with a rig weighing 250 pounds and - or running at least 250 watts.
You can’t win unless you’re running a Heavy Metal rig—NO exceptions!

This is Heavy Metal night! Everyone is welcome to participate with smaller rigs, but the winner needs to be using Heavy Metal.

Completed logs should be sent by email to (email address here) or by US mail to (address here). Please have your point totals calculated when you send in your log, and be sure to mention the equipment used during the rally.

Anyway, these are some suggestions.

I will volunteer to create the trophy for the Alternative Heavy Metal category if the category exists in the actual Rally.

Other suggestions? Rotten eggs? What have you??

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:55:23 AM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=12894.0
K9ACT
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »

I am looking forward to participating this year as a bona fide HM'er but I would like to point out something that was not and should have been mentioned in your rules.

I was summarily removed from that other AM list for even asking a question about power levels and refused to apologize to for "insulting everyone on the list" so I won't go there again, as they say.

However, knowing what contests do to adrenalin in men, it would seem that mentioning only "minimum power" is an open invitation to be naughty.  AM'ers of course are never naughty but contests are contests and we are supposed to hate them with a passion and here we is one.

js
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »

"Other "special" honorable mentions may be issued for unusual feats, such as the "longest old-buzzard transmission heard", or "most FM heard on an AM station", "loudest hum", "lowest watts per pound",  "mid-QSO equipment failures" (for people like Gary) , and things of this nature.  "

"  Oh cruel world, why do you mock me so? "

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »

This isn't so much a contest as it is a chance to get that ol'beast running and have some fun on the air.  It's more like a big break-in QSO than a contest.

I finally replaced the plate tranny in my GPT-750 last night and tested it.  What a BA buster of a job.  Although we're gonna be at the lake place most of the week I'm strongly considering driving back home and putting the "Iron Curtain" (as W1ATR calls his GPT-750 Grin) into battle mode for this event.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »

Hi Jack  !!

By the Rally rules, to win an "award" you must be running at least 250 watts output. I assume this is carrier output not PEP. After all, that's watt HMN is all about. The operative word here is HEAVY !! ( as in the opposite of piss weak)

By Part 97 rules the MAXIMUM is 1500 watts PEP. That can the the preverbial 375 watt carrier @ 100% mod (not intended to start a flaming discussion on the PEP methods ect... so chill out) or more carrier@less mod ect...

So, there are the limits. Minimum defined in the Rally rules..... maximum defined by the FeeCeeCee.

That's not to say no one can run less power to participate for fun but the "awards" part is specific.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

It's not a competitive contest!
"It's the Heavy Metal Rally".
A QSO party.

Like a motorcycle rally isn't a race, you get points for showing up.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »

It was my understanding that for the last few years the criteria have been at least 250 watts or 250 pounds.

I've been avoiding it for the last few years because it was impossible to just fire up somewhere and have a normal everyday QSO without being scolded for not keeping each and every single transmission short enough to accomodate as many heavy metal guys as possible, even when I'm not taking part in it.

It would be nice if a "DMZ" could be established for those of us who don't feel like getting roped into "59, 73, GL IN THE CONTEST", but I suspect this year's fesitivities will take over the 3700 neighborhood as well.

Probably be another good night to just stay off the air.  Sad

--Thom
Killer Aircraft One Zeppelin Goes Crash
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:56:23 AM »

If I'm recalling correctly it was actually started by ER mag for owners of BC and large military/HB transmitters then was modified to a lower minimum weight/power level to include more AM stations. In the overall scheme of ham radio, it isn't much of a contest at all.   

Actually Mack, it was started by Bill KD0HG and sponsored by ER when Barry was at the helm, later continued by Ray when he took over the publication from Barry.

And yes, that's how I remember it too: a friendly gathering of big iron, a way of encouraging folks to dust off their big rigs and put them on the air for all to hear. I always saw the 'trophy' aspect as a tongue-in-cheek part of a social gathering, really.

In my opinion, things took a slight downward turn when some wanted to change the event's original intent. As an AM event, everyone and anyone running AM was encouraged to participate. Riceboxes, Class E, HB, commercial, it didn't matter. But the focus was on the big tube rigs. It wasn't meant to exclude anyone, merely celebrate a certain aspect of AM. Why not create something similar to focus on Class E, super Yaecomwood rigs, etc? Yet another opportunity to promote AM beyond classic tube gear. It got made into a case of 'exclusion' somehow, and in today's PC world, well...

That and trying to make it more of a competition rather than a relaxing evening on the band rubbed some folks the wrong way.

AMers in general have never struck me as the screaming corntester types. In fact, it's the laid back nature of AM that makes it so attractive to so many.

I commend Bill for his original idea, as well as those who have participated in the spirit of the event. Despite any bumps in the road, I think we've all benefited from the attention it has drawn to AM, old tube gear in general, and big rigs in particular. Think of how many folks were inspired to find and save and old BC transmitter for the HMR! It was one of the driving forces behind getting me back on the air, hearing 'VJB, 'INR, KW1I and others having so much fun on 160 and (then) 75 meters. Such wonderful signals and excellent audio. Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »

Probably be another good night to just stay off the air.

Gee Thom.... I love ya man but....... who pissed in your Wheaties lately Huh

Fire up the junkyard dog and I'll sit n' chat with ya all nite. Then everyone else can swing by the freakin' frequency and say "hi hi fb 59 gl in test" and move on.

If that's what'll take to get ya on the air.... I'm there for ya bro !

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 12:34:15 PM »

This isn't so much a contest as it is a chance to get that ol'beast running and have some fun on the air.  It's more like a big break-in QSO than a contest.

Hi John,

Well, it does seem to be a contest Wink  If points can be made, and/or prizes/awards/certificates/recognition given, it is - by definition - a contest  Grin  But this is not a bad thing!  People like a little healthy competition.  Gives us guys something to be a little macho about  Cool Cheesy

In my modification proposal, I did strongly stress the "QSO" aspect of the rally - specifically suggesting having a QSO, and not merely exchanging call signs.  A QSO party where score is kept (if desired) and recognition given.

Why not create something similar to focus on Class E, super Yaecomwood rigs, etc? Yet another opportunity to promote AM beyond classic tube gear. It got made into a case of 'exclusion' somehow, and in today's PC world, well...

At this point, there are not enough AMers to have "differentiated" events (contests, rallys, whatever you call them).  We know that we want more AM operators and we also know we do need to get more AM stations on the air running that "heavy metal" power level (over 250 watts).  This will allow us to command more respect amoung certain idiot SSBers who think they can just walk all over our QSOs.

In the future, if there are so many AM stations on the air you're tripping over them, we could most likely have differentiated (by transmitter type, etc.) events.

So, for now it would seem - at least to me - being one who wants to promote AM (and more specifically high power AM) - not just a subset of high power AM, that the Heavy Metal Rally could be a very effective promotional event, in addition to providing suitable recognition of "Classic Heavy Metal", promote "Heavy Metal" outside of the "classic" subset.

By adopting a non-discriminatory set of rules, the Rally will provide more promotion of, and interest in, the original Heavy Metal due to wider support and participation.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K9ACT
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »

Jack, I personally think that the big difference between this AM HMR and a normal CW/SSB contest is that few, if any, take it to be a very serious matter......

I am sure that is true but men are men and testosterone flows whenever men do anything.  As soon as men start doing something cool, a goal post has to be set and trophies awarded.

Heavy Metal Night is a great idea but turning it into a contest with a trophy takes the glow off.  That of course is just my very humble  ha ha opinion.  And BTW, has anyone noticed that contests, regardless of the hobby, are always ginned up by magazines.

To change the subject a bit, I would like to crusade for a Home Brew Rally, even a contest because getting that trophy would really be the ultimate payoff for all that time and effort spent.  This would be homebrew from scratch, no kludging up  commercial gear or someone else's home brew.

Perhaps, I should start a new thread?

js

KA1ZGC
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

Gee Thom.... I love ya man but....... who pissed in your Wheaties lately Huh

Nothing new, Buddly. I've been turned off by the rudeness some people feel justified in exhibiting over Heavy Metal night for years now.

How dare anyone tell me that I have to behave like a contester so they can earn points in a contest I'm not even taking part in?

Somehow, just being on the air on the night of the HMR means getting accosted by stopwatch nazis who get all bent out of shape if anyone on AM is transmitting for more than two minutes at a time.

I got tired of telling people that not every AM station on the air that night was there for the HMR, and that it was rude to force it on those not taking part. Nine times out of ten, a few more would show up and hijack the frequency, anyway; so I decided to save myself the frustration and find something else to do on Heavy Metal night.

If that's what'll take to get ya on the air.... I'm there for ya bro !

I've been on the air quite a bit, same frequency as you, in a shack with single-digit indoor temps, for hours at a time, night after night. One night off won't kill me.

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »

Having participated in nearly every one of the HMRs and having won one of them, I've never heard anyone doing the typical contest rap: UR 5/9 number xxxx good luck in the contest. It just doesn't happen. Most QSOs aren't much different than any other night, just more people on the air.

And I've heard plenty of people on using supposedly non-heavy metal. Guess what, people actually talked to them and they were allowed to join QSOs. I know it's hard to believe, but it happened. I've experience or observed no rudeness or contest like operation. If you don't want to participate or get on the air that night don't. If you do, do. It's not like the entire band is taken up  with it. There's plenty of room for everyone.

P&Ming about it wont' change a thing.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

Heavy Metal Night is a great idea but turning it into a contest with a trophy takes the glow off.  That of course is just my very humble  ha ha opinion.  And BTW, has anyone noticed that contests, regardless of the hobby, are always ginned up by magazines.

It doesn't necessarily have to take the glow off.  The rally as a non-contest is certainly fun - and this is how I personally have participated - just give people who want points QSOs, and talk with lots of new AMers using unique equipment.  I could never be so organized as to keep logs and send in point sheets  Wink But, making it a contest with a discriminitory set of rules DOES take the glow off.  My only point is to make the rules fair, and if we want to specifically recognize Classic Heavy Metal, then recognize it as a category, but don't put up roadblocks to keep the "undesirables" at the back of the bus.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »

Having participated in nearly every one of the HMRs and having won one of them,

You'd have a heck of a time winning with the current ruleset!

KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »

P&Ming about it wont' change a thing.

I was asked a question, I answered it.

--Thom
Kilovolts Alter One Zorched Gate Crasher
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »

I suppose. I wasn't trying to win the year I did. I was just on the air a lot, having fun, and I guess I made more contacts on more bands than anyone else.

The day I let someone else determine if I get on the air, or if I have fun while on the air, is the day I get out of amateur radio. It's up to each of us to make the hobby something positive and useful, or let it be dragged down by the control freaks, doom-and-gloomers and righteous P&Mers.

Having participated in nearly every one of the HMRs and having won one of them,

You'd have a heck of a time winning with the current ruleset!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »

How dare anyone tell me that I have to behave like a contester so they can earn points in a contest I'm not even taking part in?

That hasn't been my experience at all, Thom. I confess that last year was my first year on the air instead of just listening, but all I ever heard were a few tall ship stations anchoring a frequency, others coming and going, while an ongoing conversation took place. We were talking about this last night, think you were still in there. QIX mentioned how he could care less about the points, just enjoys hearing the signals and working the gang. Same for me, but there's no hurry involved.

At this point, there are not enough AMers to have "differentiated" events (contests, rallys, whatever you call them).  We know that we want more AM operators and we also know we do need to get more AM stations on the air running that "heavy metal" power level (over 250 watts).  This will allow us to command more respect amoung certain idiot SSBers who think they can just walk all over our QSOs.

I think we're in agreement here Steve, maybe just looking from different angles. I see a Class E/new gear event as an additional opportunity to appeal to folks who may not be aware of such things, could care less about tube gear, and so on. To me, it's not a case of either/or, but a chance to put the spotlight on another facet, thereby potentially attracting others who might skip over the HMR. I'd participate in such an event as a participant rather than contestant not only because I wasn't using SS gear, but also because, like you, I just enjoy the FUN of it. A night where the band is full of big, warm signals. Just another excu...erm....way to get folks on the air instead of waiting another year. 

I'm still of the opinion that we do ourselves an injustice when we try to make it about 'winning'. The recent Elmer contest online at ER is a good example. As Bill has said, that's not what the HMR was intended for.

And I also see nothing wrong with encouraging and celebrating particular aspects of the hobby through such events, regardless of whether it's a favorite interest of everyone or not. AM is the common denominator, the different facets are simply more opportunities waiting to be exploited for the promotion of AM.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »

Steve: The original intent of the Heavy Metal Rally was to encourage everyone capable of AM QRO on the air for an evening of fun. To have the 75 meter band wall-to-wall strapping AM signals. To showcase our mode of operation, a way for everyone who worked so hard restoring old iron or homebrewing to rally on the air. At the time of the first HMR, Class E was in its infancy and off the traditionalist's radar screens (like mine! LOL). So the original tongue-in-cheek rules were requiring a rig capable of 250 watts or weighing at least 250 pounds.

The original prize was to be awarded to the 'best sounding' AM station of the evening, as determined by votes sent to ER magazine, not number of QSOs. There are some who have absolutely killer audio quality, and they need to be recognized.  If it was easy, everyone would have superb audio. ;-)
The way to receive the award was to be active on the air so as to impress the most people,have a magnificent signal on everyone's S-meter and have great audio, as perceived by one's peers.

Now that Class E has matured, there should be no discrimination against it, nor should you feel that way. Class E, by nature, is capable of awesome audio; I've never heard a bad-sounding Class E rig on the air. But the 250 watt part is mandatory, if not the 250 pound part. A strapping Class E signal is just as welcome on the HMR as old Collins iron, and in fact would more easily qualify as 'best sounding'!
People like Brentina, consistently sound terrific and lifelike, with a signal to match.

The problem arose when people argued that no one could quantify what 'best sounding' meant. I know what it means, I know it when I hear it, and so should everyone else. So ER reluctantly changed how the event was scored. If there needs to be changes for next year, then PLEASE send your suggestions to Ray at ER Magazine, who sponsors the event.

That's the deal. All you gotta to do is whip it out, put a significant dent in the ionosphere, and have fun doing it.
Don't participate for the award, get on because you're proud of being a modern AMer with a superior signal, and for one evening, at least, the band might sound a bit like it did in the pre-SSB era to the amazement of all.

We still know how to have fun on the air, don't we?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »

To further Bill's point about HMR not originally being a contest, after the best audio approach, at least one year, the winner was determined by how many times their call showed up in OTHER people's logs. So, yes working more stations would increase your chances of winning, but only if those people chose to submit a log.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »

IIRC you "win" when others vote you a winner - audio, S-meter bending ability, etc.

It's fun if you make it fun.  I don't know how it could be viewed as competetive - in past years it certainly has not been.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

Maybe the trick is to drop the point system and simply award a 'people's choice'? Dunno! I liked the original rally idea and really saw it as a template for spotlighting other aspects of AM not familiar to all.

People like Brentina, consistently sound terrific and lifelike, with a signal to match.

He looks very lifelike too, Bill!

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1626209892

That's Brent's handiwork, btw.

Levity. It's all about levity. And good audio.  Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »

JN:

Some people aren't happy unless they are P&Ming. I think Tron needs to schedule the P&M Net more regularly!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »

"People like Brentina, consistently sound terrific and lifelike, with a signal to match."

Sounds terrific and a siganiganal to match is evident.

You'll hafta convince me further on the "LIFELIKE" though !
 Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015