The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Heavy Metal Rally ????  (Read 21000 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »

(snip)

The problem arose when people argued that no one could quantify what 'best sounding' meant. I know what it means, I know it when I hear it, and so should everyone else. So ER reluctantly changed how the event was scored. If there needs to be changes for next year, then PLEASE send your suggestions to Ray at ER Magazine, who sponsors the event.

That's the deal. All you gotta to do is whip it out, put a significant dent in the ionosphere, and have fun doing it.
Don't participate for the award, get on because you're proud of being a modern AMer with a superior signal, and for one evening, at least, the band might sound a bit like it did in the pre-SSB era to the amazement of all.

We still know how to have fun on the air, don't we?

Well said, Bill.

Hopefully, my comments/discussions are not preceived as a P & M, because of course, they are not.  Simply, I think the event would be better served by an even set of rules, and recognizing categories (classic heavy metal, etc.).

I can imagine how difficult it would have been in the "old days" to award the signal with the "best audio".  It is such a subjective thing, and of course the operator's voice is paramont in the overall picture.  I know many rigs with fantastic audio, but the operator has a voice - well, let's just say, not for radio - so no one really knows how good the equipment actually sounds  Wink

Hope to speak with you during the rally, if not before.  It's probably been about a year !!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KA1ZGC
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 01:46:08 PM »

Some people aren't happy unless they are P&Ming. I think Tron needs to schedule the P&M Net more regularly!

Geez, first I'm the Bad Guy for daring to transmit more than 60 seconds during the HMR, now I'm the Bad Guy for daring to say that experience left a bad taste in my mouth!

Man, I love this hobby!  Grin

--Thom
Kilovolts Alter One Zorched Gate Crasher
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 01:51:18 PM »

AHH HAAA......... ur busted !

You uzed this one TWICE in this thread. NAH NAH NANAH NAH !!!

Now, do I get some kinda award or sumpthin ?
k7yoo

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »

Contests aren't politically correct--after all if you have a winner, that means there are losers--i.e. inferior persons. We all know that we cannot categorize anyone as "inferior person", because it might affect their self esteem and they might have to go the corner and pout or become violent at the mall

Anyway, while you are pondering this I am going to install a new pair of 4X1's in the exciter.

Heer U on the air
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »

Skip,

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH CO2 YOU"RE GOING TO POLLUTE THE ATMOSPHERE WITH?Huh
KA1ZGC
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »

AHH HAAA......... ur busted !

You uzed this one TWICE in this thread. NAH NAH NANAH NAH !!!

Ahh... DAMMIT!!! You got me!

Now, do I get some kinda award or sumpthin ?

Submit ur log to ER, I'm sure they'll take care o' ya!  Grin

--Thom
Killer Aphrodesiac One Zesty Green Cannabis
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »

Contests aren't politically correct--after all if you have a winner, that means there are losers
Hey, that's true !!  Now I *know* we need more contests  Grin

While I'm at it, Merry Christmas  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »

You selected yourself. I never mentioned your name or call. Sounds like an admission to me. Shocked

Some people aren't happy unless they are P&Ming. I think Tron needs to schedule the P&M Net more regularly!

Geez, first I'm the Bad Guy for daring to transmit more than 60 seconds during the HMR, now I'm the Bad Guy for daring to say that experience left a bad taste in my mouth!

Man, I love this hobby!  Grin

--Thom
Shocked
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 04:58:17 PM »

Boy, u leave this board for half a day and whole lifetimes go by....
I thought the whole thing, esp. the 1x1's would be fun, regardless of point system; power or weight.  If Paul hadn't put up the 1x1n sign-up page, I probably would have missed even that.

Originally just planned to have fun collecting the calls and making our usual ol' buzzard emissions; didn't even think about sending them in. Guess I better read up on the rules Wink  The ones we've done in the past have always been pretty loose, kinda like super break-in with maybe a little emphasis on lettin' people in faster.  Oh yeah, guess I better log calls.
I'll be fun. - wall to wall -

RICK  *W3RSW*
KL7OF

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »

I saw this on w7jhs.com.........Heavy metal radio from W8ER

* seniorheavy.jpg (153.5 KB, 500x375 - viewed 405 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »

Merry Christmas everyone. I'll be glad to work anyone conteast of no contest.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 12:20:58 AM »

Does anyone know which issue (month) the Heavy Metal Rally for 2007 was announced in ER?
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »

There is nothing mentioning the event on the ER web page. Is there an event?

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 02:47:17 AM »

TNX. NOTHING on the ER web site.
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

For those who don't get ER:

From the Nov Editors Comments:

2007 Electric Radio Heavy Metal Rally
The annual Heavy Metal Rally will be held this year on Saturday, December 29.  The HMR is a night for friendly AM QSOs, and is open to anyone using restored broadcast, military, homebrew, any commercial ham gear.

Suggested Frequencies: 1885 kc east of Mississippi, 1915 kc West; 3830 kc, 3870-3890 kc, nationwide, 7290 kc.

Scoring: You get 1 point per contact on each different band.  If you work the same station on both 80 and 160 it counts for two points.  You get 1 additional point per contact if you are using all tube-type heavy metal.  1 point for each different state worked.  1 point for each letter or email received from hams or SWLs with positive comments abut the stations signal or sound quality.  So, if someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a tube rig, the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 50.

The winner should be running a rig weighing 250 pounds or running at least 250 watts.  This includes big homebrew, military, and vintage commercial ham gear, and Class-E solid state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications.  For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100 watts of carrier- thats still heavy metal!  (The "or" statement is intended as an illustration, and should not be misread as an intent to keep someone out.)

You can't win unless you're running a Heavy Metal rig-NO exceptions!

This is Heavy Metal night!  Everyone is welcome to participate with smaller rigs, but the winner needs to be using Heavy Metal.

Completed logs should be sent by email to Ray@......com or by US mail to Electric Radio.  Please have you point totals calculated when you send in your log, and be sure to mention the equipment used during the rally.
73, Keep Those Filaments Lit!  N0DMS
AF9J
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 02:18:35 PM »

Man!,

You guys are depressing me!  The Viker II is still not up and running (the plate current is weell over 400 mA, and the bias voltage is too low [only -58V or so), and I can't do any more work on it until I get a few high voltage electrolytics from Mouser (at this time of the year, I'll be luck to get them by Jan 2 or 3). Since I've been concetrating so much on the Viking II, the Scout has not been worked on to fix it's breakdown. SO, I'd better get down to business on it.  With my luck, it'll be another part I have to order (and won't get until after the new year).  OH well, so much for this year's Heavy Metal Rally.

Ellen - AF9J
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 03:27:29 PM »

Surely someone near Ellen could run over to her an extra YaAm rig for the holidays.

Santa?  Santa? Are you out there?  A fellow ((in the Nobel (Ask Al) sense)) ham needs you.
Come on' how many of you out there have spare Vikings, you name it, sitting around in good repair and live withing 20 miles or so of AF9J.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA3VJB
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »

Must be a class E man? Rig doesn't make enough heat.

Oh yes they do.
Quite often, actually.
AF9J
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »

Surely someone near Ellen could run over to her an extra YaAm rig for the holidays.

Santa?  Santa? Are you out there?  A fellow ((in the Nobel (Ask Al) sense)) ham needs you.
Come on' how many of you out there have spare Vikings, you name it, sitting around in good repair and live withing 20 miles or so of AF9J.

Nah, that's OK,

There's always next year.   Thanks anyway.

Ellen - AF9J
In cold (it's 12 degrees, snowing, and we have 40 mph winds) Wisconsin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015