The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:56:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...MINI DISC RECORDERS?  (Read 20490 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »

Each MP3 file has a header that contains info, including the sample rate and encoding bit rate. Most MP3 player applications will give you access to this info.

Suggest you up your bit rate when making MP3s. The 16 kbps seems to be really chopping up the audio. Try 128 kbps for starters.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the sampling rate.  There isn't clue in the manual that came with it?

However, I downloaded a software recorder that does 128 kbps for only $29 and it works like a charm.  Condx too lousy tonite to record anyone but the playback is indistinguishable from the original when played back through the same speakers.

This may be old news but seems to fit into the discussion if on air recording is what is wanted.  AD Dave sent me the link and if anyone is interested it is http://www.artech365.com/winadr/index.htm

What I was looking for was something to record my audio transmitting into a dummy load so I can make EQ adjustments to suit my whims.  The hand held just is not up to that but I will no doubt find some other use for it.

js

WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »

Don I sent the machine to your callbook address in Saturday's mail, insured.
Before I packed it up, I saw one of my notation stickers on there that I use when I put something up on the shelf (12/96 !!!). The failure mode was a squeaking sound whenever the motor was powered up.

This made me curious, so I dropped three "D" cells in there to recall what's what.

Yep, there's the squeak, but it is somewhat specific to how you hold the machine. These were used off-the-shoulder on a strap as newsgathering audio recorders, but also can easily be used on a tabletop. So the loading on the belts and idler wheels varied a lot.  The single motor is powered up for all tape movement, and can be made to idle by pressing Play and Pause. The Tape Speed switch, and the varispeed pot both affect the motor speed, including when you're in the the FFwd and Rew functions.

When you get it, the transport assy is accessed from above, not the panel on the bottom (tried having a look there but, nope, just the bottom of the main circuit board seen).

Rest of it seems fine. I was reminded of the substantial metal case that helps keep out RF. And, FWIW, it's made in Japan not China.

In addition to the info from Ed, VA3ES, maybe do a web search, I think factory Marantz (800) 654-6633 sells directly, but there are many many of these things floating around and are serviced by third-party outfits.

The machine could probably use a full set of belts while you can still get them, but hold off in case there's a simple drop of synthetic oil to put somewhere that could do the trick.  This machine spent many years in the trunk of the car and maybe that cooked some of the lube out of it.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »

Thanks for your trouble, Paul.  I'll reimburse you for your shipping expenses, and try to get it running again.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015