The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derb back on the air with a lot of help from my friends  (Read 12088 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:00:23 AM »

Well, the new station was tested for the first time today at 5:30pm - and it was good. And the assembled operators saw that it was good. and made 125 watts of carrier with 200% positive peaks on teh scope. enough stuff to make slopbucket botheration rough.

I want to say a sincere thanks to all that donated gear to get me back on, put time into coming up and installing the new antenna, and working on the gear to put it into munky swingin condition. Photos to follow soon.

W3JN
the APEman
KB3AHE
WB3HUZ
WD8BIL da Buddly

This station will be getting a workout this winter. A few more installation details to attend to, and we will be rollin in the da ghetto!

Derbus Maximus

WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:31:49 AM »

This is cool !
Sorry I missed the Radio Revival at your place, unaware.
But hey I'm off this week look for me on 75m, let's give it a run.
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:34:36 AM »

Way Cool Derb!

I'll keep an ear open for you on the air.

Ellen - AF9J
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:34:35 AM »

I gotta go into the wife's workplace starting today for the rest of the week, ( I have to be baby sat in case of repeated seizures) so I'll lose some time (?) finishing things up antenna wise and finishing the ground system. running out of daylight tooo fast these days.  Undecided I'll upload pix tonight when I get back home.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:34:47 AM »

This was a helluva fun project, and thanks to all who came together to make it work.

You shoulda seen DRB's look when he grabbed that D-ten-fo' Silver Eagle and dropped the maul down for the first time  Grin Grin Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:16:50 AM »

Yea, Welcome back from the guys in "Strap Land"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »

You shoulda seen DRB's look when he grabbed that D-ten-fo' Silver Eagle and dropped the maul down for the first time  Grin Grin Grin

Especially when he saw the munky swing on the plate current meter  on the leanyour!! It definately has good "munky swing"!!

Look fir the Derb swingin a munky on a radio near you!!

As the meters were a swingin, Derb's big "shit eatin grin" just kept gettin bigger and bigger!! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
AF9J
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:14:43 AM »

I forgot to ask - what you running now Derb?  I got the impression it was an FT-101 with an amp for some oomph.  Was I right?

Ellen - AF9J
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »

Tim, you were sounding dandy-fine up this way, great munkey swang and audio to match. I could hear the hoodlums in the background egging you on.  I noticed a lot of the corntesting noise subsided for a while after you came on, you obviously struck FEAR into their hearts! 'course, it could've been the 'Slab Bacon' announcement, too. Grin

Looking forward to hearing more of you over the coming months, and a hearty THANK YOU to the posse who made this possible. The AM community proves yet again just how much can be accomplished when folks work together.

Just be careful around those guys, Derb. They will lead you astray, away from the path of the pure and righteous!  Shocked

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »

It was fun. Looking forward to hearing you on the air soon Derb. Happy Thanksgiving.
W2JBL

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 08:51:06 PM »

Welcome back Derb! W3EGC turned up on 75 Sunday afternoon too, back on the air after massive medical problems. now all we gotta do is dig up IRB and prop him up in front of a D-104. now start getting busy on 3.872 around 9pm (except Tursdays) and you will become an AM hero!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/gallery/71_19_11_07_10_02_22.jpg

gonna work on getting all the loose ends done tomorrow.

TNX OM's.

P.S. the photo is supposed to be funny!  Grin
w2gez
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 11:03:01 PM »

Welcome back !! Cool
AF9J
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 11:29:11 PM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/gallery/71_19_11_07_10_02_22.jpg

gonna work on getting all the loose ends done tomorrow.

TNX OM's.

Cool setup Derb.  A friend of mine has an FT-101, and he's starting to have some real fun with it on AM.

Ellen - AF9J
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:11 AM »

Ahhhh..... a sight for sore eyes. The Derb with the Chicken Choker hammer down !!!

And wow...... the color scheme of the FT101 matches the Gonshit !! Cool  Grin
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:10:49 AM »

Ahhhh..... a sight for sore eyes. The Derb with the Chicken Choker hammer down !!!

Ah, Yes............................ we have opened Pandora's Box and unleashed a monster  Shocked Smiley

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »

HAHA! I love the 'unlike some' Slab comment on the photo!  'JN really looks like he's thinking it, too! 'WTF were we thinking??'

HiHi FB OMs!   Grin 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »

found some trouble....one of the fuses on the Gonset drew enough current to melt the solder on the end of it. Some resistance somewheres it would seem. That's what dremels are for. Have to take a close look at that AC line too. Grounding system going into ground now.

Buddly, send me yer real deal email and I'll send you out 3 unmolested pix.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

this is why you gotta inspect yore radios for Zottage every so oftern. you might find some unsafe thing. This is one side of the fused plug for the LINYAR.

* DSCN0129_2.jpg (102.22 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 338 times.)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 10:36:45 PM »

Fuses? On a GSB-101??

Heck, ya just run it until the electron beams in the 811As burn straight through the plates!  Shocked Grin Shocked

... and they will...

_-_-Wobble You Bear Two Great Chocolate Rheostats

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 11:17:14 PM »

OK DERB
I missed the your Virgin Voyage of the new and improved munkey schwang.
The linear is pertty. How many pubes? How much juice into the ether??
What channel will you be monitoring caaamawn

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »

Phred,

it's a Gonset,  got 4 811's right now, but that may be changed to 4 572B's shortly. got the new 8' ground rod in the ground today, and getting ready to connect it back to the service entrance ground, which is very nasty and in bad shape. So when done I'll have 2 10ft' and one 8ft' rods in a triangle pattern 2 ft apart connected with #6 which will go in the house to a central connection I am getting ready to dremel the rods clean and shiny and put new copper clamps on.

My service entrance grounding is crap. The clamp is corroded and so's the rod. I bet my neutral is nowheres near "neutral". I'm going to have to make sure my gear is unplugged when I start connecting the grounds inside. I'm sure there's a difference in potential right now.

yeah, I know I'm being anal about it all, but I may not get another chance to be well enough to get it right so I'm going all out.  I might wanna get on 160 someday too.

Going to go with the copper pipe and copper p clamps with pigtails across the benches on the inside.

next: drilling the holes for the feedline in the wall for the PVC pipe out which the feedline(s) go and soldering up the feedline.

I know I am being anal about this stuff but I'll be hammer down soon.

Bear: you dont know me well enough. when I put a piece of gear on the air, it stays on - because I go through it and make RADIO LOVE to it.  Cum Awn.  Roll Eyes
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »

The W7FG antenna finally showed up today.
 Tongue Roll Eyes

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »

It's OK to be anal. Sometimes it makes a better product. Lettuce know how the W7FG works out. John was pretty upbeat about the way it helped his signal.
If you gots $$$..........for $300 you can have a Cushcraft MA160V vertical. It's a top loaded vertical about 30 feet tall and so far I have done some A-B tests with the vertical and the inverted VEE and very little difference for close in folks and a little more sig level for folks like the Tron who is on HenryYellRRR Mt.
My new QTH is on the Western side of Pa. Prolly a 4 hr drive from you.
What channels are you monitoring??

fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »

I wuz listening to jonny novice and huz and zrf earlier - none of them less than 40 over. I am right back at it just like I never gave it up - installing this, fixing that, so much fun putting together another station again. - but I'm REAL slow doing work. My left side is really not helping me out.

Steve's gonna send me a spare am filter for it. I've never had a ft-101 before, really like it. I'm glad, because we just dont have much $$$. Only the must haves.
right now I just tune h band on 75 an look or signals, but I'm going over everything and making sure it's hammer time. Teh guys just didnt have the time, and I'm retired for now.

I'm just glad I'm somewhat able to work on stuff, but real low and frustrating sometimes. I just take a walk and come back to it. when my left hand starts shaking I gotta stop using it and take some dope.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015