The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:22:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.892 a disaster and a disgrace  (Read 27850 times)
AF9J
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »

Oh Cool!  So your're the one who got the amp that Cliff, N6ZU restored!  I read the article about it in the July issue of ER.  The cover of ER shows Cliff (who's a REAL Old Buzzard) standing next to your amp.  Cliff is the original builder of that amp!  Nice toy to play with!!

Ellen - AF9J
ka2zni
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »

Hello Ellen,

Sure looks like were going to end up with it! It's mine if I want it, it's sitting in washington state right now, 'course I'm in Pa, but the gentleman that has offered it too me is the same one I bought the Dentron Clipperton L off of, and am waiting for that to arrive this week.

I guess the power supply is something to the tune of 120 lbs or so, what's nice it also comes with a 20 Amp variac, and an extra 4-1000a tube. But yeah, as soon as I saw the original owners callsign, that's exactly who the gentleman said had built it!!

This is great!  Grin

This further confirms my confidence in the seller in Washington!

Thanks a bunch Ellen for passing that along! i hope to run into you sometime on the bands as well!

'73's,
Kevin
KA2ZNI
AF9J
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 12:05:24 PM »

Kevin,

If you'd like a copy of the the article, let me know.

Ellen - AF9J
ka2zni
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »

Kevin,

If you'd like a copy of the the article, let me know.

Ellen - AF9J

If you could Ellen that would be fabulous! You can send it to my Email address on QRZ if you don't mind??

Thanks so much!

Kevin - KA2ZNI
N0WVA

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »

Yep, just like Don says...ignore the swampmouths and light the big bottles.

And yes, the HQ 170 is awesome in combat mode, but dammit, I sold mine years ago. And the notch could also get rid of at least one carrier while you flipped between sidebands and narrowed her up. Only complaint with the hammarlund was AGC pop and noise factor. But it was a great receiver.
AF9J
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:01 PM »

Thom & the others,

Thanks for the info about using the Sideband response (a.k.a. LSB or USB) to deal with QRM. It's not only helped with QRM on my SX-96, but has helped me to deal better with the line noise problem I have.  Smiley I wish I could have operated this weekend.  Problems came up, that had me chasing around dealing with both a stray cat I found, and visiting a friend who wound up in a hospital in northern Illinois.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015