The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity Costs Revisited  (Read 15307 times)
W4EWH

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »

Sorry for bringing this thread back to the top, BUT my wife and I are looking for an effecient refrig.

Fred,

I'm a firm believer in the "Quality of Life" method of shopping for appliances: if the gadget improves the quality of my life, I don't care about energy costs. OTOH, if other things are equal, I'll pay extra for excellent energy efficiency.

The trick is to spend about an hour in the showroom, loading and unloading a gallon of water from each unit you're considering. Think about the tradeoffs of bottom freezer (less energy efficient, more convenience) vs. side-by-side (small space, great convenience), or top freezer (best energy efficiency, PITA to use). After you've decided which type of unit will cause you the fewest back problems, the fewest avalanches, and the least agravation, then shop for brand and finally for price.

Once you know which type you want, look at the Consumer Reports Frequency-of-repair records and pick the most reliable models. After that, use the energy stickers to compare the difference in energy costs between your top two or three choices.

Finally, negotiate between the dealers for the best price on a single brand and model.

YMMV. HTH. HAND.

Bill W1AC
P.S. If you can wait, you'll find the best bargains at bankruptcy sales: assuming you have the floor space, a commercial unit will last far longer than a consumer-grade unit, and you'll probably compensate for any energy cost by paying only pennies on the dollar. Be sure to research the units and view them first, and then take your shot.

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »

$0.27 last month for combined gas and electricity.  The power my PV solar system generated offset all of the electric bill and all but 27 cents of the gas bill.   I'm not sure they were supposed to offset the gas bill but they did.   Next week they install the time of use meter.   The rates will be $.29/kWh during peak summer, noon to six, $.09 the rest of the time.   Since I mostly generate during peak and use during off-peak (talking to you jokers at night), I'll be even more ahead.   

Incidentally, the new SunPower (Xantrex aka Trace) 5 kW AC output inverter is EMI quiet.   I was prepared to install a big filter as others have done but it makes no noise that rises above the din of Silicon Valley crud. 

Jon
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »

Thanks Bill,
We looked at the answers here and got a good solution to the energy thing. We found a nice Kenmore that uses less lectricity than a 100 watt light bulb and some info that a bottom freezer is the most efficient for energy. That will be a little PITA to bend over a little but it brings the refrigerator to eye level.
And we bought a Kenmore for the front loader with its, always been known efficiencies. The top loaders became popular because the older front loaders were hard to load and unload, but that's why you buy the pedastal. Brings the whole works up to a less PITA to load/unload.
A lot of good energy here on the AMFONE
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1QWT

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »

Last week I installed a new super duper micro processor controlled hot water heater that is
95% efficient and has a "smart energy saver" mode and 3 inches of insulation.
Next month when I get my electric bill I'll let you know if it saved me any money.

Well I got my bill for August and it did go down!
I have two meters, one for hot water and the other for everything else so I'll just report the Hot water savings.
I found a bill from April when I used 395 KWH's which was the old water heater.

For August, which is the new high efficiency one I used only 151 KWH's!
Now granted some of that tremendous reduction was my daughter moving out but this electric bill is the lowest I have ever received for this all electric house.
I'm smiling now!
I guess it pays to update. The old water heater was a rental from the electric company!
HMM? Not that's interesting.

Regards
Q
W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 11:53:10 AM »

We're loving our modern microprocessor controlled Kenmore front loader washer. Uses 6 gals of water and you have to stand next to it to hear it run. The small downside is that it can take 3 hrs to wash/sanitize the bay's clothes. A 'normal' wash would be up to 2 hrs, depending how you modify the settings. There is a quick wash that gets you closer to the top loader time of 40 min.
It's a huge change from the Westinghouse front loader I remember in the 50's. There is no visible water level and suds. You have to use the HE soap which is twice the price, but you only use about half the cap on the soap jug. The GUMMINT is going to mandate that manufacturers get their machines into saving energy and using less water....even the toploaders!!!
The new ref should be another step to crush the lectricity hold on my BA$$s. I can't worry about time involved for a return in investment. On a retirement salary, every increase of one thing or another that equals $100 hurts real bad. We just jump into these big ticket things with the buy now pay later (1yr.) The plan works for us.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »

wow,
I pay around $175 a month for electricity. between 11-12 cents kwh
They claim i use around 1000 kWh a month
I live alone (except for the dog, maybe hes having parties while i am at work)
I dont watch tv.
I am on the computer alot but i use flat panel lcd screens, not crt.
I dont leave lights on, not even outside lights.
Even when im on the radio i dont see too much of a difference (except when i run the toob linear)
think its time to update the fridge, dryer and water heater.
looking at my bill its about $114 plus $65 in "service charges"
wtf is a "delivery" charge, those wires have been running to the house for the last 60 years.
plus distribution charge, CTA charge, Transmission charge, Combined Public Benefit charge and FMCC charge.
ugh!  Angry
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

Blaine

Blame your legislators for the high price of electricity in CT.

They mandated that CL&P sell off all of their generating equipment and become just a delivery company. This was done on the notion that there would be vast energy supply competition and the price to the consumer would be lower. Wrong! When was the last time a new nuke or other generating plant was brought on line?

CL&P is forced to buy power on the open market. Gone are their generating plants that were either paid off or would have been paid off by now, any economy in overhead, personnel, etc. Now you've got multiple energy suppliers involved, with multiple overheads and multiple profit requirements that figure into your bill.

Just heard recently that the legislators are considering letting CL&P get into the generating business to reduce electricity costs - treating it like it's some new and novel idea! 

One thing's for sure...when the dumb asses in government get involved, hold onto your wallet.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »

I pay around $175 a month for electricity. between 11-12 cents kwh. They claim i use around 1000 kWh a month

Have you tried reading your meter and comparing it with what they indicate on the bill?

Try turning everything off in the house, and then turn on one thing at a time and see how that affects the rate of usage.  If you have one of the old fashioned electromechanical analogue meters, you can see how fast the little disc rotates.

A few months ago they replaced ours with a digital meter.  I have made it a point to regularly monitor usage, because the new meter seemed to indicate more usage than I thought reasonable.  But so far the monthly bill has been about the same as expected.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »

Geeeezzzz  Blaine !!!!

I think you've got something SERIOUSLY out of whack there !!!!

Your electric water heater, freezer and fridge have to go!!!

Never mind the actual cost of the power..... 1000kwh a month is serious usage for a one person houshold....

We have just installed an old ratty dryer that we use whenever hanging clothes outside is inconvenient.... an old freezer and fairly old fridge....

We DON't have an electric range OR waterheater though....

The absolute MOST usage we've had in 4 years is 515KwH......
There's 3 of us (well 4 now).....

You need to check and see which of those beasts are at fault....

I don't know a bout where you live... but here in Verminmont, if you go over 5ooKwH per month.... they slap on an extra charge .....

W1QWT

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 07:55:19 PM »

I pay around $175 a month for electricity. between 11-12 cents kwh. They claim i use around 1000 kWh a month

This is the first time my total usage is under 1000 KWH.
I am looking back at my bills and my highest month was last January at 3981 kWh.
My house is all electric so the heating part is astronomical in the winter.
Hopefully this winter it will be lower what with the kids gone.
I will just close up all the unused rooms.

Regards Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 10:20:37 AM »

Another Question 'bout lectricity Vs Nat Gas
This is the best place to get info on this stuff without pressure from sales people.
I would like to heat the basement area, which is less than half the size of our split level. A typical 1500-2000 sq foot house. The laundry area is the biggest room and there are two 8X10 rooms where the Flintstone studio is located and the Ham shack.
The cold Wx keeps me from going down there coz it's only 50 degrees F. We heat with a pellet stove and this is the disadvantage of turning off the central heat.
What could I use to heat this area? A small wall mounted nat gas heater with a blower? (Might heat the entire basement?) A 220volt basboard heater in each room? (These heat sources would only be on when I'm using either room)
The 110 volt ceramic heater was killing me$$$$$$ Plus it was discovered that these are very unsafe appliances.
Thanks
fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »

I'm amazed at some of the costs some are incurring here.  The highest bill I ever had was $160 and that was two years ago when it was very cold and I was running a heater in my garage to help keep the upstairs bedroom floor warm.  My last bill with the central air running was $120.  My lowest is in the $70 to $80 range during spring and fall. Maybe my meter is broken.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »

Bob,
I wish we lived in your neck of the woods. Those are long lost memories of an electric bill under $100. A lot of people are getting the old weiner up the old waazoooo.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015