The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bionic Eye #2  (Read 16376 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: July 13, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »

This is definately not ham radio related, but well worth mentioning!

As I am typing this I am home recuperating from Lens Implant (cataract) eye surgery. Yep this aint lasik, itz the real deal where they cut the eyeball open and stuff a new lens into it.
This is the second one that I have had done. I had the first one done 8 years ago (at 44), and now the second one (at 52) was done this past Tuesday.

3 days after surgery I now have perfect vision in both eyes!! Something that I have never had in my life, as I have always been nearsighted. And one hell of a good feeling after being almost totally blind in the left eye.

The reason that I am posting this is that as we all are now getting a little older, we are all now starting to face many little problems that try to get in our way of enjoying life. If any of you out there are having the problems that I had with cataracts, do yourself a favor and get them fixed as soon as you can!! Absolutely do not put it off out of fear of the surgery! The whole procedure has gotten even better than when I had the first one done! there is a bare minimum of discomfort. (Mine only lasted a  few hours) The recovery is very quick (no more than a few days) And the end result is incredible!!

If you are walking around with piss-poor vision due to cataracts (or rinkon clontinentals) please do not put off having them repaired out of fear of the surgery. Itz a piece of cake!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »

Frank,
I'm begging you to not lift anything heavier than a beer for a good long while so you heal properly. I know a number of people with the same success but you must let it heal properly. gfz
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »

Frank,
I'm begging you to not lift anything heavier than a beer for a good long while so you heal properly. I know a number of people with the same success but you must let it heal properly. gfz

Oh yea, I'm well aware of that. they told me not to lift anything heavier than 25 lbs for a few weeks and avoid doing anything strenuous. This way I get to sit on my fat ass, play couch potato, and the yl cant bitch about it!!

Like I said it is a total win-win situation!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

(now, if only I had some pickled eggplant)

The Slab Bacon

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »

Good stuff Frank

* eye_ball.gif (17.95 KB, 80x60 - viewed 553 times.)

* eye0023.gif (70.79 KB, 110x110 - viewed 553 times.)

* eye_ball.gif (17.95 KB, 80x60 - viewed 517 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »

Congratulations on the successful surgery!  Here's to a speedy and complete recovery.  Well, not TOO speedy, you've got it made right now!

Best Regards,
Rick/K5IAR
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »

I had the same experience a few years ago.  I had one eye done, and about 3 months later, the other one.  My vision also turned out to be better than it ever had been before.  With newly fitted glasses, mine was 20-20 or better.  I don't even wear my glasses most of the time.  I can read and operate the computer without glasses, unless I am trying to read really fine print.  Vision is blurry at distances, but I can see well enough to drive without glasses in daylight, but I need them at night. 

My vision had got to be so bad that I couldn't make out road signs any more.  The straw that broke the camel's back was when I ran a stop light because I couldn't tell that it was red, and missed having a major collision by about 6 inches.  I was teaching in high school at the time, and the kids got away with a lot of shit in my classes because they had figured out that I was blind as a bat.  After the surgery I was amazed to discover how bad it had become.

I was very nervous the first time, but the second time I was more confident.  Minimal discomfort and I had to wear the eye patch for only about 24 hours.  I was careful about lifting for 2-3 weeks afterwards, and then the Dr told me it was ok to resume normal activities.

I was about 60 when I had the surgery, but had been  diagnosed with  cataracts at about age 35.  At that time I had noticed no deterioration in vision, but began to notice it about 10  years later.

I often wonder if mine is a result of tinkering with a fluoroscope back when I was about 20.  Supposedly, cataracts may occur after exposure to even a minimal amount of radiation.  But both of my parents had the problem at about the same age I did, so it may have been  genetic.  I remember my father having to wear glasses all the time with coke-bottle lenses because back then they hadn't perfected the technique of lense replacement.  They simply removed the cloudy lense and the replacement was the glasses themselves.  Now the glasses are only for fine tuning the implant.

BTW it's rinkon continenters.

Now, on to the topic of all the medications we take, our chronic constipation, the result of our most recent colonoscopy, our arthritis pain and our false teeth (which I don't have).  We'll sound just like slopbucketeers on 75 and 20m.

How much do Daytonmobiles sell for?  Roll Eyes

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

My oral surgeon told me the same thing when I had the bone graft done to my lower jaw last year. They told me to take it easy for at least 2 to 3 days.  I didn't listen.  I moved something in the garage that was to heavy and started uncontrollable bleeding. Then I got the lecture from the surgeon and my wife. So I heeded the advice.

Frank,

Oh yea, I'm well aware of that. they told me not to lift anything heavier than 25 lbs for a few weeks and avoid doing anything strenuous. This way I get to sit on my fat ass, play couch potato, and the yl cant bitch about it!!

Like I said it is a total win-win situation!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

(now, if only I had some pickled eggplant)

The Slab Bacon

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:37:20 PM »

Now, on to the topic of all the medications we take, our chronic constipation, the result of our most recent colonoscopy, our arthritis pain and our false teeth (which I don't have).  We'll sound just like slopbucketeers on 75 and 20m.

How much do Daytonmobiles sell for?  Roll Eyes

Don,
        I just realized after starting this thread that it is a blatent confession of geezing!! Here we go talking about our ailments and meds. A sure sign of old buzzardom!! Maybe I should have posted this in the "old buzzard" thread. Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:50:36 PM »

frank,

glad it went well OM.  Cheesy Do whut yer docs tell you to do or be tried for treason.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:18:51 PM »

Hi Frank,
Speedy & safe recovery to you OM

My "do it at home" from a Lindsay book did not come out well

Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »

EYE  know you've deceived me, now here's a surprise
I know that you have 'cause there's magic in my eyes

I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles
Oh yeah

If you think that I don't know about the little tricks you play
And never see you when deliberately you put things in my way

Well, here's a poke at you
You're gonna choke on it too
You're gonna lose that smile
Because all the while

I can see for miles and miles
Oh yeah

You took advantage of my trust in you when I was so far away
I saw you holding lots of other guys and now you've got the nerve to say

That you still want me
Well, that's as may be
But you gotta stand trial
Because all the while

Oh yeah

I know you've deceived me, now here's a surprise
I know that you have 'cause there's magic in my eyes

Oh yeah

The Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal are mine to see on clear days
You thought that I would need a crystal ball to see right through the haze

Well, here's a poke at you
You're gonna choke on it too
You're gonna lose that smile
Beacuse all the while

I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles
and miles and miles and miles and miles

I can see for miles and miles*

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »

Say Mister, ain't that some old golden oldie song they play on that ray-dee-oh thing??

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »

Say Mister, ain't that some old golden oldie song they play on that ray-dee-oh thing??

_-_-

Yessir it sure is. Wink

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

Hope you heal up FB Frank. Take it easy. I'm shocked you were able to get such good treatment, what with the uncaring society we live in and the horrible medical system we have. Roll Eyes
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »

VCool Frank.

You had mentioned back in April how your sight was really crapping out as the day went on.

And yeah, it's amazing what optical surgery in all its forms can accomplish these days.

Fellows at work who shoot video for a living have needed lasik surgery, and afterward say there's no need to blame the camera anymore.

But then there's the follow up -- how about the knees, please ?

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 08:11:32 AM »

Hope you heal up FB Frank. Take it easy. I'm shocked you were able to get such good treatment, what with the uncaring society we live in and the horrible medical system we have. Roll Eyes

Ya know. Steve it is odd that you posted this............ Even after the surgery is over, I probably havent exchanged more than 100 words with the surgeon!! I'm just thankfull that she was good!! She is definately good at what she does, and very cocky about it. I now see why!! I was a bit apprehensive, but I was just about blind in that eye anyway. I figgered that nothin from nothin leaves nothin!! I didnt have much to loose. And the JHH / Wilmer Eye Institute is very highly rated in these parts.  the proof of the puddin is in the eatin!!

The Slab Bacon

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »

But then there's the follow up -- how about the knees, please ?

Bionic hip is probably next!! However, I want the deluxe model with the external grease fittings!! Grin Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »

So frank,
Say you didn't have insurance,  how much would an eye job cost?
You know in case you happen to be part of the third world society America.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 07:48:08 AM »

" Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic man. The Slab Bacon will be that man. Better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster." Grin Grin Grin

Im sorry I can't help meself. Concrats on the great modifications Frank.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 08:21:04 AM »

So frank,
Say you didn't have insurance,  how much would an eye job cost?
You know in case you happen to be part of the third world society America.

Frank,
         With today being the one week "anniversary" I havent started receiving the bills yet. I am as curious as you as to what the the total bill will be. for those that are interested I will post it here when all of it comes in.

When I had the last one done 8 years ago, the S.O.B. that did it really raped me with the billing. I had insurance, and a supplemental policy as well that was supposed to cover all of the copays and other incidentals, and it still cost me $3000 out of my pocket!! That hurt!!
So I am kind of curious (apprehensive) as to what / if this one is gonna wind up costing me. But as I have said many times, sometimes ya just gotta do what you gotta do!

The Slab Bacon

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »

I was out less than $500 out-of-pocket per eye, for everything.  My insurance through work covered the rest.

My premiums cost $165 taken out of each of my 10 monthly pay periods.  But my employer covers 85% of the premium, making the real cost of the premiums about $1100 per pay period - $11 grand a year, and I have worked there for 22 years. So they are still ahead in the game - even after my daughter's accident (billing charges over $100 grand) cost them more than $60 grand with their contracted discount.

Too bad everyone in the country doesn't have the option of taking out a policy anywhere near that good.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »

Yea , too bad Don,
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »

for all who may be interested here is the results, today is 4 weeks from surgery! All is beyond well!!

Day 1: Slight discomfort for the first 4 or 5 hours after surgery. The discomfort was so mild I didnt even botha taking the Tylenol they reccomended "if needed" (Still have patch on eye)

Day 2: (post op) Patch came off and I could see! focus was not real great and very bright light sensitive, but I could see, and no more white haze!! It feelz good to have binocular (normal) vision again!

Week 1. No longer real light sensitive, focus still isnt great, but getting better each day! I could see good enough to be comfortable driving again. Focus seems to improve as day goes on.

Week 2: Focus still getting better each day. Still noticing that focus improves as day goes on.

Week 3: Focus is fantastic!! My distance vision is now better than it eva wuz!! Full 20-20 in both eyes!! Went to motor vehicals and retook eye test. No longer have glasses restriction on my lisence!! I feel like a whole person again!

Week 4: Enjoying new bionic vision! I can see better at distance than I did when I was young!! It gives new enjoyment to watching the women!! I'm lovin life!! I have perfect focus from about 36" out to infinity!! the only downfall is that I will have to use reading glasses from now on. Big deal, thats a small price to pay.

And I have yet to see any bills in the mail, so it lookz like my insurance has covered it all but the few $20 copays.

If any of you out there are facing Cataract surgery, Dont be afraid of it or put it off!! Do it as soon as possible. It has already dramatically improved my quality of life, and has a minimal recovery!!

The Slab Bacon

WA3VJB
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

It gives new enjoyment to watching the women!!
I have message traffic from KB3OMT, over over.
Copy?
No copy.
Heavy QRM must QRT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:54 AM »

It gives new enjoyment to watching the women!!
I have message traffic from KB3OMT, over over.
Copy?
No copy.
Heavy QRM must QRT

Naaa, vision is now so good I dont have to stare. Hell, I can grab a quick look before she even catches me!!  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015