The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bionic Eye #2  (Read 16374 times)
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

Fantastic!  Congratulations on your new "babe watching bionics"!

Rick/K5IAR
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »

Mine gives me good focus from about 12" to maybe 3'.  I never use glasses to see the computer screen, and normally don't use them for casual reading unless the print is extra fine.  Things at a distance are  blurred, but with glasses, vision is near 20-20.  I can drive during the day without glasses but need them at night.

One of my problems is astigmatism, which I always had, ever since I was a kid.  It is caused by imperfections in the shape of the eyeball, so it must be corrected with glasses.  The replacement lens has nothing to do with it.

I was told that after surgery one has about a 50-50 chance of a membrane forming over the rear surface of the new lense, creating the same kind of cloudy vision as the original cataract.  That can be quickly corrected by buning it away with a laser, which should be a quick, simple procedure.  So far, that has not happened to me.  Reportedly, it may take several years to occur.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »

Thanks rick!! It is pretty kool!!

Don,
      Interesting that yours is focused close in. Did they give you an option in the choice of implants?? I have an ever so slight astignatism in the right eye that was done 8 years ago, but itz not enough that I want to put any correction in front of it. (I didnt have it before the surgery) However the left eye that was done a month ago is absolutely perfect. (I guess the technology iz gettin better)
I have heard about the membrane / film problem, but I havent seen any sign of it yet and it has been 8 years for the right eye.

It iz very kool now to have depth perception again, especially when poking around in a boat anchor chassis with a meter probe or slobbering iron!! No more "oooppps, I hate when that happenz!!"

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:31 PM »

"Don,
      Interesting that yours is focused close in. Did they give you an option in the choice of implants?? "

Something just does not sound right with that. Roll Eyes

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »

Naaa, vision is now so good I dont have to stare. Hell, I can grab a quick look before she even catches me!!  Grin Grin

Now you'll need surgery to help you run faster.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 02:47:11 AM »

"Don,
      Interesting that yours is focused close in. Did they give you an option in the choice of implants?? "

Something just does not sound right with that. Roll Eyes

Mike WU2D

No, I think the surgeon thought that was the best compromise for my vision.  I don't think it was a game of chance, because both eyes focus at the same distance.  We discussed the procedure in detail beforehand, but I was never offered a preference to have lenses that focussed at far distances vs close distances.  But I am satisfied with the result, because I rarely have to use glasses, only for close, fine work, or when I need sharp, distinct vision at a distance.  I do have to wear them at night when I drive, because otherwise it is difficult to read signs, and I tend to get disoriented.  I also use them for watching TV or cinema.  But I actually see the computer screen more distinctly without them. I wear bifocals, and the screen is too far away for the reading lens, and too close for the distance lens.  I had a prescription for a special intermediate lens just for the computer, but I see it well enough without the glasses that I never had the prescription filled.  I refuse to wear tri-focals.  I once (before surgery) had a pair of glasses with "progressive" lenses, but those things were a pain in the ass even after I got used to them.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »

Don,
I got a pair of progressive lenses a year ago. I hated them at first.
Last Marlboro I threw my old glasses in the corner of my truck dash as I was getting out. I wanted the progressives to read fine print in the flea market. Later that day I thought I lost them so was forced to wear the progressive glasses. It was a number of weeks before I noticed my old glasses in the corner of my dash against the windshield.
I had trained my brain by then and got used to variable gain and all straight lines bent. Now I like the crazy things.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 02:14:33 PM »

I've been wearing the progressive style lense for the last four years. They were a bit tough getting used to, but after a while no problem. I'm at the point where the reading/close in work causes me to take the glasses off. I found that I was getting neck pain because was raising my head to see things. One's vision changes at different rates and the q point of vision progressively moves so the glasses need to be replaced.... $420.00  gack .....    klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 04:48:02 PM »

Does Lasik work with bad astigmatism as opposed to plain near sightedness?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »

I think so Bob they just slice off a bigger hunk.
My Brother's wife just had it done a few months ago and she did very well. I think some place in Newington area. They checked out a number of places and this one had the newest process.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015