The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton, anyone ?  (Read 22010 times)
WA3VJB
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:28:37 AM »

So, who's going to Dayton this year?
Sees ya there. What should I program into the 2m handheld ?

http://www.hamvention.org/
FRIDAY
3:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Amplitude Modulation AM
AM International Update
Moderator: Dale Gagnon, KK1K
Floyd Soo, W8RO, Past President and Founding Member of the Collins Collectors Association will outline his team's involvement in the restoration of Collins Radio equipment at the Hammond Museum of Radio in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The team, including Fred Holmes, W1SKU and Scott Madison, W1NB, restored the S/Line and KWM-2s in the museum's radio room main console a couple of years ago and is now in the process of putting the two KW-1s in the main display room back on the air.

SATURDAY
9:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. FCC
Moderator/speaker: Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH
Speaker: Bill Cross,W3TN

1:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. COLLINS RADIO
Presented by the Collins Radio Association
Moderator: David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA., publisher of the Collins Journal, secretary
to the CRA
Speaker: Bill Wheeler, K0DEW; the Pre-World War II Era of the Collins Radio Company.
Jim Stitzinger, WA3CEX; A view of the WA3CEX Collins collection .
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »

Good news, Paul - think you had told me previously that you couldn't attend, so it sounds like fate has smiled upon you.

I'll be attending for the very first time, along with Joe, WA2PJP and Bruce, W2XR. We'll be catching up with Johnny Novice and the 'HUZman on site.

Looking forward to seeing the spectacle, along with meeting many folks I've known only on the air or via the 'net.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »

I'll be there. For anyone who's going I recommend a visit to the rather large ARRL Expo area and the many ARRL sponsored seminars where you can meet the ARRL home office reps in the flesh and tell them all about your pressing concerns.
Or you can skip the ARRL Expo and continue to bitch about your concerns on this board.
Whichever you think is more productive.   Wink

http://www.arrl.org/announce/nc/2007/dayton.html

--- Post No Bills ---
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »

I'll be there at the same old spots, 1960-1961. Finally got my space tickets and finally finally got my entrance ticket. Still working through the list of stuff I plan on bringing but it will include several receivers.

The fun of Dayton below:

* 04during a rain.JPG (197.57 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 514 times.)

* 04after the rain.JPG (195.23 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 515 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »

I'll be going on Friday again this year, just as long as they're not predicting significant rainfall. Be there or be square! 
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

Steve, W8TOW and myself will be there on Fri and Sat.  Hope to attend the AM Forum.  We can be found hanging around the boatanchors and goodies and maybe even lugging heavy iron around the flea market.  Hope to see everyone there!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »

Hope to see a few of the folks at Dayton this year. I'll be at outside spaces 1960 and 1961 (on the corner).

As I pack, we have going to bring a National NC-173 w/matching speaker, NC-183D w/matching speaker, NCX-200, NCX-3 w matching PS/Spk, Johnson Thunderbolt, BC-375 tuning unit, several military VOM's, Eldico stuff, W.E. stuff, Icom IC-706MKIIG w/ unused accessories,some HI-FI gear, Autek and WRL Galaxy audio filters, several different types of mikes, and other assorted stuff. I "probably" missed listing a few other things just to keep it a mystery until Friday.

Pete, wa2cwa
Dayton Spaces 1960-1961

W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »

I'll be going on Friday again this year, just as long as they're not predicting significant rainfall. Be there or be square! 

From what I hear, they should rename it to "Rain Dayton"  Tongue

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »

Forecast says Mostly Sunny Fri and Sat temps 68 and 72.  Sounds like great WX, keep ur fingers crossed!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »

Never stopped the Dayton flea-marketeers even when stuff came floating by. Plus, rain is good; it washes the "old money".

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »

It rarely rained on the Fest before they began dicking around with the date.  Back years ago when it was always the 3rd weekend in April, it might be cold and blustery, or hot and sunny, but it would get rained on maybe once every 10 years.

Then they for some unknown reason moved it to one week later, and it was essentially rained out something like 7 out of 8 years in a row.  Every time I went after the date change, it would be rainy and nasty, but the locals would say that the previous weekend would have been ideal for an outdoor hamfest.

Finally, people got fed up with the rain, so they moved it again, this time to mid-May, hoping for better weather.  It has been a little less rainy, but now it conflicts with graduations nationwide, both high school and university.

I'll miss it again this year due to a work conflict.  3 years ago it was my daughter's high school graduation.  Then the past two years, like this year, it has  fallen on about the only weekend in the entire year that is impossible for me to take off from work.

Well, maybe next year.  I'll be retired then.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »

I've been watching the Dayton wx all week, and have notifed my co-workers that I will be OOO this Friday, Dayton looks like a go! The wx will be clear on Friday, temps in the mid 60's, ideal for briskly walking the fester, and lugging heavy iron and rigs back to the auto.

Thursday (set up day) may be a bit damp with thunderstorms, but hopefully that'll just make Friday a little better with more goodies available for all. Hope to see you at Dayton!
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »

OK FINE !!!!!

Here we are enjoying a Ying-Ling beer, eating stashios, and overlooking Deep Creek Lake, Maryland for the night, giving us a few hours' jump on the excursion to Daytron.

Sees ya there

* DSC05062.JPG (619.47 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 537 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 01:45:11 AM »

For you AM contesters, this is going to be announced at Icom's Dayton booth.

Contesters love knobs and buttons
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7700/main.html

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 02:52:24 AM »

Is that going to be one of those $17K appliances?

Everyone must be headed to Dayton.  Practically no AM activity on 160-75-40, despite near wintertime like band condx.  Not a lot of  slopbucket either.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wb2fof

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 04:26:46 AM »

We will have the gang of AM pissweekers at space 3352. Chinese military radio on 3885 ! Look forward to seeing all the OM gang that the JN and HUZ attracted !!  Gas higher here than NY !!

Bob WB2FOF

Bob
WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »

The HUZ man is a sleepy head, still in bed as the sun rises.
WHAT A VIEW this morning. Fester weather looks good later today.

* DSC05066.JPG (585.76 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 506 times.)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 03:19:54 PM »

The sun is out here at the KOA. The motorhome is all connected and ready for Margaret to relax in while I got to the Fest. Next to my site is a pole with a wireless access point on the top.
Life is good!

See you at the fest!

Bill KA8WTK
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »

When I got there this afternoon, it just started to rain, but when I left around 5, the sun was back out, and vendors were running around gathering things. Didn't see anything with my name on it or calling out to me.

WA3VJB
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 08:29:27 PM »

We must have had ALL the good stuff Pete !!
Two major sales within an hour of unloading all that you see here.

Must be some money floating around -- Dave Schneider told us he had already made $11,000 this afternoon.

Rain is DONE, nice sunset, a bit breezy but OK FINE and hi hi FB to all.

* DSC05078.JPG (569.19 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 491 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »

We will have the gang of AM pissweekers at space 3352. Chinese military radio on 3885 ! Look forward to seeing all the OM gang that the JN and HUZ attracted !!  Gas higher here than NY !!

Bob WB2FOF

Yeah Bob good seizin' ya, and we saw you loading that Collins transmitter, uh huh !

Also saw Brown, W1NZR, and we talked with John W4AWM on simplex somewhere outside of Wheeling. Later saw his car here at Dayton.

* DSC05072.JPG (572.3 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 495 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »

Looks like it's going to be cold in the morning - temps in the low 40's. Dress warm!
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »

Steve is this a long distance call ?
I was standing at the curb waiting for you guys to go party.
Then, John says no he must sleep.
GEEZ
I bet you guys are just sitting there drinking in the room and enjoying smelly cigars.

* DSC05080.JPG (137.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 423 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »

HT600??? whatss dat fer??

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »

Beening sitting at the bar all evening listening to a jazz band and a great female vocal singer and bs'ing with a bunch of people. Seems like 11PM is the start of the "active" time for all the contesters and dx'ers. And, it's only Thursday. I guess if you're a contester or dx'er you can sleep late.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015