The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are a lot of nice people on AM!  (Read 14633 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: April 20, 2007, 08:51:13 AM »

Just thought it might be nice to recognize the fact that I really enjoy talking with fellow AM enthusiasts on the air!  I had a very pleasant, albeit short QSO this morning on 3885 with Vortex Joe; Bob,W8MNQ; and Timtron.  Also heard K0RMK out in Wichita. 

With all the controversy and negative exchanges that seem to occur in various discussions on this board and various other forums.....it is just really nice to have an enjoyable QSO and remember why I really enjoy AM.  I just thought it might be nice to offer some positive comments in contrast to some of the recent on-line bantor.

I might be guilty of "dorkspeak" now and then.  I certainly try not to be disrespectful in any comments directed toward the idiosyncracies of certain regions of the country.  I, hopefully do not come across to anyone as arrogant , condescending, or otherwise unthoughtful.  I just enjoy the hobby and I enjoy talking with other people with common interests.  I have had a fair amount of technical experience in my lifetime and, perhaps,  I can occasionally offer some constructive help or opinions.  I certainly do not claim to always have the best answers, nor do I claim to be a know-it-all expert.  That being said.....I just really enjoy ham radio and I want to see it continue as a viable and enjoyable endeavor....not be torn assunder by negatism and in-fighting.

It was great talking with Joe, N3IBX and I even got an explanation for his nickname of "Vortex".  Joe and I have something in common there.  At least according to my wife, I am a junque magnet!  I probably have acquired more projects and more old boatanchors and parts than I will ever be able to use in my lifetime.  What can I say?   It is just a weakness....when the bug bites.......you know the rest....

Anyway...I was just moved to offer some POSITIVE comments this morning and share the opinion that we are blessed to have the opportunity to be able to enjoy such a wonderful hobby and to be able to communicate with such a great group of people. Long live Ham Radio and Long live AM!! 

73, Jack, W9GT Smiley

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »

Yes!  Smiley
and lets start by not calling the AM Window the "Ghetto"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:38:04 AM »

et to Blaino ?

But ur right Jack. They are a great bunch. Even those I have bantored with at great length and with great conviction I consider friend and usually end with agree to disagree....let's go get a beer !!!

KR4WI
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:46:29 AM »

Yes, Great post Jack. This is the kind of topics we need more of.  makes you feel better about the hobby, and  people in general. Matthew KR4WI
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »

You're absolutely correct, Jack, and hopefully, your constructive and thoughtful post will bring a merciful halt to the unending thread on "Dorkspeak."

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
N2udf
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »

Amen Herb.........Lee,N2UDF
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »

Well put and a good point. Lot of great people in the hobby and the AM category too.
Thanks for stating a positive thread!

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »

Geez Jack

You threw us a curve ball this morning. A POSITIVE thread in QSO!!!.

Thank you

Gary/W2INR

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »

I have to agree wholeheartedly!! I have met some of the nicest and most generous people on AM!! Truely a bunch of great guys!!

That is the main reason that I have my "Post Timmonium Party" every year. I have gotten so much enjoyment out of the AM part of this hobby that I just feel the need to give something back!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W9GT

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 12:12:52 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys! 

I have to agree wholeheartedly!! I have met some of the nicest and most generous people on AM!! Truely a bunch of great guys!!

That is the main reason that I have my "Post Timmonium Party" every year. I have gotten so much enjoyment out of the AM part of this hobby that I just feel the need to give something back!!

The Slab Bacon

Yes Bacon..... We have some similar gatherings in the Midwest...two of them are in Michigan...an informal gathering after the Marshall, MI hamfest and an annual AM get-together at Gary's (KI8BQ) place every summer.  The fellows in NE Ohio host the Boatanchor gatherings several times a year.  It is really nice to meet everyone in person have a nice visit and swap stories, and maybe even trade junk.  It really impresses me that the things that made amateur radio so much fun the the past are still very much present!!!  There are many very nice people, many very knowledgable people, and the "social aspects" of the hobby really make it worthwhile.  This seems to be really prevalent in the AM ranks.

I hope to see many of the "crew" at Dayton again this year.  Steve, W8TOW and myself will be there again this year and maybe we will see everyone at the AM Forum or, at least run into you guys in the flea market.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
K3ZS

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »

I got back on AM because it seemed that is where the real hams were.   I still go on SSB and CW and have nothing against people who are on the other modes  (except those that keep chasing me away from their proprietary frequencies), but more and more of the SSB contacts were getting about as interesting as 2M FM.   I enjoy AM and the people on it very much.  Real hams know how to tune real transmitters!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

^^True dat, Phil.  It's great having technical discussions with interesting guys... til I found AM I was pretty much inactive.

I think all of us would agree that the Dorkspeak thread had pretty much run off course and was heating up things unnecessarily.  Rather than an act of condescenscion, its deletion was simply a mercy killing Grin

BTW on boards such as this, there is no such thing as "free speech".  Guy what pays da bills calls da shots, and I suspect da guy what pays da bills would rather we all get along rather than take potshots at each other... or so it seems to me.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

Hope to see you at Dayton Jack. Johnny 3JN, myself and a few others will have 2 or 3 spaces in the tailgate area (I can't remember the numbers at this time, errrr). Stop by, have a beer, chat, and maybe even buy some stuff!!!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »

You're absolutely correct, Jack, and hopefully, your constructive and thoughtful post will bring a merciful halt to the unending thread on "Dorkspeak."

That thread has ended. Somebody deleted it in its entirety. (And people here thought that I was being arrogant and condescending by suggesting (not demanding) the use of plain English on the air! Nothing like a little censorship to show humility!)

I think all of us would agree that the Dorkspeak thread had pretty much run off course and was heating up things unnecessarily.  Rather than an act of condescenscion, its deletion was simply a mercy killing Grin

I was suggesting that the mere presence of Jack's post would bring a NATURAL end to the Dorkspeak thread, not that it should be deleted.  I surely would have preferred that it would have just stopped after Jack restored some sanity to this board.

Phil:  It had gone WAY beyond your original intention.

John:  I guess you and I are articulating the difference in viewpoints between natural death and euthanasia  Tongue

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 03:27:10 AM »

Jack, W9GT,

Yes Jack, big fun with AM-lovers!
For example: this morning (by us) I received Ken and Brent.
I was awake and sitting in our livingroom, only listening...
When I hear then talking, it sounds as 'cabaret'.... Cheesy
Super audio so a pleasure to listen...
Not always fun, evenso they want to help others (I am shure).

Ken's qsl card is hanging on the wall in our livingroom.
I am very proud to get in contact with him and others in AM!!!

So Jack you are now on the good way: AM-lover Shocked

Greetings,
PE1MPH / Dokkum, The Netherlands
(qrv on 3705 AM)
W9GT

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »

Jack, W9GT,

Yes Jack, big fun with AM-lovers!
For example: this morning (by us) I received Ken and Brent.
I was awake and sitting in our livingroom, only listening...
When I hear then talking, it sounds as 'cabaret'.... Cheesy
Super audio so a pleasure to listen...
Not always fun, evenso they want to help others (I am shure).

Ken's qsl card is hanging on the wall in our livingroom.
I am very proud to get in contact with him and others in AM!!!

So Jack you are now on the good way: AM-lover Shocked

Greetings,
PE1MPH / Dokkum, The Netherlands
(qrv on 3705 AM)

Hello Henk,

Thank you for your comments and please let me know if you hear me on AM!  I would certainly enjoy having a QSO sometime, if conditions permit.  Great to hear from an AM enthusiast in Europe.  I have been on AM for many years, and I originally got on back in 1960.  Check out my web site (address on QRZ).

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »

I was suggesting that the mere presence of Jack's post would bring a NATURAL end to the Dorkspeak thread, not that it should be deleted.  I surely would have preferred that it would have just stopped after Jack restored some sanity to this board.

Phil:  It had gone WAY beyond your original intention.

John:  I guess you and I are articulating the difference in viewpoints between natural death and euthanasia 

But isn't there a way to lock down a thread so that it will no longer accept new postings, without deleting it entirely? They sometimes do that on QRZ.com.

The problem is that there are usually numerous entries worth keeping in the archive before a topic gets hijacked or evolves into a dead-horse-beating or personal attacks session, and it's a shame to see them all deleted because of a few "offensive" postings near the end.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 11:04:25 AM »

^^ Yeah, there is, Don, but what would be the point of saving that thread?

It's my sense that G wants this to be a fun and informative place to visit.  No percentage in saving contentious threads, having people go back over that thread and re-visit hurt feelings, disagreements, etc.

For a board this size, that type of thing certainly occurs rarely in relation to other boards due to our mutual respect for each other and common interests.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »

If I could, I'd give all you guys one big hug, ya big buncha lummoxes!  Grin

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 04:24:19 PM »

That should be great..

I have still receive many AM stations from the USA.
But for me it is mostly a problem to copy the call or name.
Most stations talking that to fast for me Angry

This morning (by us) I received Brent and Ken.
No problem and good signal.
They talked with other station, but these were very weak.
Mostly 3885 is a clear freq. to receive AM from the USA.

I use 3705 for AM.
That is our AM freq. in The Netherlands.

Greetings,

Henk pe1mph from Dokkum Wink
W1IA

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

That should be great..

I have still receive many AM stations from the USA.
But for me it is mostly a problem to copy the call or name.
Most stations talking that to fast for me Angry

This morning (by us) I received Brent and Ken.
No problem and good signal.
They talked with other station, but these were very weak.
Mostly 3885 is a clear freq. to receive AM from the USA.

I use 3705 for AM.
That is our AM freq. in The Netherlands.

Greetings,

Henk pe1mph from Dokkum Wink

Henk,
Always great to hear from you, Oene, and Tjurk
I have met many great friends on A.M. and enjoy our european connection!!

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 12:03:56 AM »

Henk,
Always great to hear from you, Oene, and Tjurk
I have met many great friends on A.M. and enjoy our european connection!!

Brent W1IA

Oke Brent!

And we have received nice USA AM stations!!!! Wink
W9GT

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 07:00:02 AM »

Hope to see you at Dayton Jack. Johnny 3JN, myself and a few others will have 2 or 3 spaces in the tailgate area (I can't remember the numbers at this time, errrr). Stop by, have a beer, chat, and maybe even buy some stuff!!!

Hey Steve,

Yes we will definitely look for you guys at Dayton!  We had a great time last year and hope the WX is good this year and boatanchors show up in great numbers.

73,  Jack, W9GT Smiley

73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:57 AM »

Have always enjoyed our exchanges, Jack. The 30K-4 sounds fab up this way, I think you were the first 30K owner I ever spoke with on the air, in fact.

Blaine - Don's (I think it was Don, maybe it was Herb) adaptation of the term 'ghetto' to refer to the frequencies between 3870-3885 has as least as much to do with the garbage created by interfering stations there as it does the unwillingness of folks to remove themselves from such a situation. When all the 'new' phone space became available below 3800, many raved about how nice it was, how they planned to be on there regularly, and so on. Few remained after a couple of months. Yet the nonsense and noise remained in the old window/ghetto area.

There are still some good conditions to be had up there, but business as usual seems to be the rule. In fact, I was in the ghetto when I zorched my mod transformer, and got razzed by ED VA3ES for it.

It is what it is, but we don't need P.C. speak anymore than we need dorkspeak. It's ham radio. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »

Space numbers 2008, 2009, 2010. See you there.

Hey Steve,

Yes we will definitely look for you guys at Dayton!  We had a great time last year and hope the WX is good this year and boatanchors show up in great numbers.

73,  Jack, W9GT Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015