The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are a lot of nice people on AM!  (Read 14632 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »

... In fact, I was in the ghetto when I zorched my mod transformer, and got razzed by ED VA3ES for it.
Did I razz you? I don't think so. All I did was gently advise you that I heard that  situation live!  Grin   It was not a pretty sight, er sound! 

I assume you got my email about the RCA plug pins for your Thordarson? I have the same transformer here and that's what I use.  Fit like a glove and easy to solder to.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »

... In fact, I was in the ghetto when I zorched my mod transformer, and got razzed by ED VA3ES for it.
Did I razz you? I don't think so. All I did was gently advise you that I heard that  situation live!  Grin   It was not a pretty sight, er sound! 

I assume you got my email about the RCA plug pins for your Thordarson? I have the same transformer here and that's what I use.  Fit like a glove and easy to solder to.

HA! Something along the lines of 'That's what you get for hanging out in the AM ghetto!' Wink You're right, too. If I'd not been up there that night, I wouldn't have zorched the mod xfmr then - maybe a week later. But I would've missed my old pal Brian, W1LYD/KL7 visiting from Skagway.

I did get your email, Ed. Thanks for the tip. I'm still concerned about keeping the pins in place so they don't slip out, but that can be addressed. It was more a case of curiosity, having never seen the official connectors and not understanding how they fit.

Too bad no one ever invented self-healing transformer windings. It's been a few weeks now, I'd be all set. Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »

[
Too bad no one ever invented self-healing transformer windings. It's been a few weeks now, I'd be all set. Grin

Yes, it would be nice if there was some way to just squirt a little "fixit fluid" into the terminals and instantly repair the breakdown! Grin

Seriously, it would be interesting to know what the failure mode is in those old mod transformers.  I wonder if there is a chemical reaction or some change that occurs with the enamel insulation on the windings, or if paper insulation between them breaks down or ??  My 30 K-4 transformer appears to have broken down between the layers of the primary winding when it zorched.  It is always a challenge to diagnose those problems as well.  Anyway, hopefully, the Peter Dahl replacement will last for as long as the rig or at least as long as I do....

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015