The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:36:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A very close call today to stall the heart  (Read 13395 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: March 21, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »

I'm riding home tonight second lane from the right in a 4 lane RT91. Right lane is exit only. An idiot in the "exit only" lane (guess what state plates) decides to shift left last possible second before exit pulls off the highway. (solid line on road)
He pulls into a small gap in traffic two cars ahead. The car ahead of idiot taps breaks to slow down for traffic. No gap behind him so idiot hit him as he slams on the binders. Guy in front of me plows into idiot and swings about 270 degrees in front of me. I was lucky to see the first car hit the breaks and begin to slow down so the line behind me breaks. Crap all over the road in front of me and car parts everywhere. Guy behind me on the ball so no damage.
By the time the guy in front of me gets his car out of the way idiot is standing next to his Jeep hit on both ends. I figured he was busted so didn't need to stop but as I drove by I pointed right at him and we both knew he was an AH for his smart move.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:38 AM »

Got to love the Rte 20 and 91 commute. I do it those days the tart and I am not fighting DFW, LAX or other traffic

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:25:22 AM »

Yeah !

Makes you want to pull over a few miles later and let the adrenaline work through.

Glad you were paying attention for early reaction time.
Same for the driver behind you.

I am at the point where I start looking through the windows of the car ahead of me to see if the third brakelight two cars up is suddenly lit. Can't count on the person immediately in front of me to be paying attention.

What's pissing me off is that everyone has been forced to pinch down what would have been the tradtional "safe" distance in front of them, because of minivans and SUVs that bull their way into that space.

Just yesterday, in stop-and-go, walking speed, one of them came up on my left and tried to start nosing in. I turned, looked directly at the driver, shook my head no, and tightened up. SO DID THE THREE CARS BEHIND ME.

Not that any lesson was "taught."

How many GPS do you see glowing on the dashboards these days?  DVD players?  We thought cellphones were a distraction.

Oh, and cellphones.

Hang up and drive !

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:26:33 AM »

Guys,
       the commute here in B-more is no friggin better, mixing it up with the morning ham-and-eggers is a real pain im my a$$! It seems to get worse every week! Too many people paying what little attention they have to everything but their driving. Or the nasty agressive type that have to push you out of the way to get in front of you just to get there 30 seconds sooner!

In this state whey will give a drivers lisence to anyone who can look over the counter and sign their name. It is just about getting ridiculous. How many times have you seen an accident on the side of the roan and rode by scratching your head, thinking "how in the hell did they do that!!" Sometimes after setting in hours of backed up traffic, have you just felt like pulling the driver out of the wrecked car and beating them half to death before the ambulance takes them to the hospital; just for being a stupid AH!!  I could definately do an "old buzzard" rant on this one.
                                                 The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »

Carl,
I'm a vet of LAX and DFW. I notice the tecker peckers drive a lot more friendly when it is cold out. When it gets hot you would thing you were on the mass pike.
Yup this happened on Rt91 going across the Dexter Coflin bridge.
I work next to BDL so do the RT20 thing every day. Love that exit ramp when there is ice. Two flip overs this season.
Keep your eyes off the tart.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

Saw those. One particular morning was real bad. There was no indication that the snow was a problem until you hit that bridge.

I work right off the exit on 20 just before Bradley, actually the continuation of 20

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

I commute from upstairs to downstairs and back. Generally have to watch out for the girls sitting on the stairs.

* zoeyniki2.jpg (170.03 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 390 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kf6pqt

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »

Keep your eyes off the tart.

I dont talk on my cellphone when I drive, dont fiddle with the radio, but a tartishly dressed tart walking tartishly on the sidewalk has often nearly caused me much vehicular difficulty.

Hey, this is California, when its warm out, they wear fewer clothes!

Wink

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:03:23 PM »

I have a relative who was a babe hound years ago.  He was driving along in his town and a looker caught his eye.  He drove his car right into a utility pole.   A cop asked him what caused him to do this and he told the truth.  The insurance company wasn't happy  when they asked him the cause.  He's toned things down since settling down.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2JBL

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:29:24 PM »

last time i had to drive into Manhattan for the job i rear ended a Yellow cab ogling a scantily clad young lady on 5th Av... no damage to me or the cab. the cabbie said he was looking at her too, ha! above 60F the women down there are nearly naked...add that on top of the worst driving conditions and drivers on the planet, it's tough going in NYC!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »

I come into RT20 from the North about 10 of 8:00. Tell the tart to wave if she sees my black truck.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 11:06:07 PM »

Will do. The Tart loves trucks as much as radios and pickled eggplant

Carl

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 02:31:16 AM »

cant drive no mo.  Undecided  gotta be seizure free for 3 years under WV State law.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 03:02:54 AM »

Sometimes after setting in hours of backed up traffic, have you just felt like pulling the driver out of the wrecked car and beating them half to death before the ambulance takes them to the hospital; just for being a stupid AH!! 

I remember when I lived in Houston, a fender-bender about 3 cars in front of me one hot sunny afternoon had the whole roadway blockaded because the owners of the vehicles involved wouldn't move them out of the way as they waited for the cops to arrive.  Traffic sat at standstill for about 20 minutes in 97º heat and 150% humidity until, finally, about a half dozen scruffy redneck looking guys walked up, told the drivers to get out of the f##g way, pushed the damaged cars over to the side of the road, and got back into their pick-up trucks and joined the 5-mile long convoy of stalled traffic that slowly began to roll through.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »

This driver could be cited for an unsecured load. Although I suppose I could help make sure the cargo don't spill.

* GSU-Large, Two Ea.jpg (74.03 KB, 320x240 - viewed 387 times.)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »

Here in Colorado it's legal for people to ride in the bed of a pickup.
...But dogs and other animals must be safely restrained.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »

Hey Carl,
I'm usually in the left ramp lane coming on to 20 from the north. If you come in from the south hang in the left lane and tell the tart to look to the right and wave.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »

Will do.

However she said in your case she has a "special greeting".

Until about a year ago you could tell my car because I had a screw driver antenna on it. When I got the new car I did not install it so the only identification is one of those white oval stickers that has WA1KPD in it.

Carl

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »

Hey Carl,
I'm usually in the left ramp lane coming on to 20 from the north.

Ah, so that answers the question about what a "20" is.  I'd forgot, since it has been almost 30 years since I lived in the greater Boston area.   Wink Wink

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=10500.0

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »

Don,
This is Ct. Rt 20 a bit south and west ofthe ma. one.

Carl,
Hopefully I never flipped you off while driving.... I usually do one or 2 a day during the 5 mile ride down '91 and '20. 
n3lrx
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »

These incidents are an every day occurrence on the 495 "Suicide Circle" here in Mudland. You've gotta have 360 vision just to watch your own arse..

About the DVD's in cars these days, Its really a shame the society these days can't even take a trip to the grocery store without having to have a DVD playing. I mean really, if someone can't pry themself away from the boob toob for 15 minutes it's really, really sad..

Another thing that chaps my nads is they've banned loud pipes on motorcycles and loud exhausts on cars because they are a distraction to other drivers, prevent the driver from hearing approaching emergency vehicles, as well as the general population considering them a nuisance yet they do absolutely nothing about the Yo Boys driving their cars with 300db of Hip-Hop thumping coming from their cars.

I'd far rather hear an open piped Harley Hog or an open header V8 roll by any day. At least you'll only hear it for a minute or two. You can hear those thumper cars from a mile away in both directions!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 07:28:05 PM »

Carl,
Hopefully I never flipped you off while driving....

You would be one of the many........

Carl

N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »

Quote from: WA3VJB
I am at the point where I start looking through the windows of the car ahead of me to see if the third brakelight two cars up is suddenly lit. Can't count on the person immediately in front of me to be paying attention.
Good idea [do it myself], but only if the light is working.  A lot of people don't bother replacing the bulbs/LEDs when they fail. Roll Eyes

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 05:59:01 AM »

Quote from: WA3VJB
Good idea [do it myself], but only if the light is working.  A lot of people don't bother replacing the bulbs/LEDs when they fail. Roll Eyes

I don't know about anywhere else but here if a bulb burns out it never gets fixed. We have tons of cars around here with busted lights.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »

how many yuppies does it take to change a light bulb.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015