The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another 'Radio Night' is upon us  (Read 3550 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: March 23, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »

Yep, it's Friday again, Frank's description of a good radio night. It's spring too, so before the conditions start to go downhill for the summer season, let's burn a hole in the aether with some good ol' AM.

As usual, I'll look around below 3800 for a clean spot or a QSO in progress. I do check the ghetto, but 9.999 times out of 10 it's a mess of jamming and/or a couple of AM QSOs 4-5 kcs apart until late evening or early morning. If the Brent and Keith show is playing on 3872, that's pretty much it for local AM programming in the ghetto up this way.

Frequencies to check below 3800: 3650-3750, 3725 being the Canadian AM equivalent of 3885 without all the noise. So if anyone needs 'a' specific frequency, that's as good a place as any.

Probably won't get to fire up until 8:30-9 anyhow, hopefully there will be plenty going on by then (and minimal static).

Be there or BČ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »

Where were we, anyway?  I couldn't find my freak counter.

3724Kc is what sounded best on the internet receiver, but I had pushed it one way or the other from center tune to minimize the slopbucket corn testers.

We had a good bunch -- W3JN, yourself, WB3HUZ, W2XR, WD8BIL, and ending up with Carol KB3OMT.

Funny bit, like I said on the air, I had initially tuned the internet receiver to check for action and heard you and JN talking.  But while I was tuning and playing an unidentified bootlegger changed the setting to "SB" (slopbucket) and pushed it to the 3500s.

So it was a mouse wrestling match to keep it on 3725+/- until I realized it was Buddly, messing about.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »

We had a good bunch -- W3JN, yourself, WB3HUZ, W2XR, WD8BIL, and ending up with Carol KB3OMT.

Hmmmm................................... I guess I'm just chopped liver.  She has to run my call to go down there.   Bruce, myself, and Dave (K2DK) had a very long and in depth discussion about audio feedback, modulator classes anf triodes vs tetrodes. That qso went on till around 2:30 before the rest of us bailed out.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:30 AM »

Paul, you were on 3724.8/9. That's the freq I zero-beat to when I strapped you.
W1IA

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »

"The Brent and Keith Show..." Thats too funny Todd.
Its all in the art of Goon-squading....how to ignore the Slob-bucket interference.

What can I say...when condx's are crappy we still use it for local chat.

Brent(Tina) W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 07:48:07 AM »

So it was a mouse wrestling match to keep it on 3725+/- until I realized it was Buddly, messing about.

You can run but you can't hide !!!

Good signals and a great time guys.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »

Where were we, anyway?  I couldn't find my freak counter.

3724Kc is what sounded best on the internet receiver, but I had pushed it one way or the other from center tune to minimize the slopbucket corn testers.

Yep, that was about it for me. My receiver was on the line before the big '25'. Coincidentally, that's as close as my analog logging program will measure.

We did quite well, despite the RUDE (big surprise there) corntesters.

"The Brent and Keith Show..." Thats too funny Todd.
Its all in the art of Goon-squading....how to ignore the Slob-bucket interference.

Yep, I figure you guys are close enough to run the RF Gain down with the rest up. When you're on 3872, it's pretty much all I hear up to 3888 or so. Certainly effective.

I think you and Keith should bring something from Keith's stable to run next to the Class E station at Deerfield. Especially since open fires aren't allowed.

Cheesy

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015