The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northern New England Amateur Radio Event May 4th and 5th 2007 ???  (Read 66998 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »

Irb always said the Shriners were satanic.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »

Perhaps it is unfair to post this link to the NYT and it has no bearing on our decision not to involve the Shriners.  They are human too.  They do a lot of good work for sick and burned kids which is a wonderful way to be benevolent.

The Shriners were almost a trademark of the Hosstraders.  We are not associated or affiliated in any way with them which is the way they want it.  We have to start from scratch financially and are counting on the entire New England community to help us get the $$$ for the Fair Association before they open the gate.  We hope that after we pay our bills we will be ahead enough so we can pay the Fair people for October.

I honestly don't think this enterprise will ever make a profit.  If we ever have a surplus of funds it is our intention to funnel it back into the Hobby in some fashion.  Personally I think scholarships for high-school hams to help a bit with college might be a fitting thing to do.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »

"Personally I think scholarships for high-school hams to help a bit with college might be a fitting thing to do."

Good idea. Anything to enhance our section of the hobby.  After were gone, who will keep the filaments lit? klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »

Personally I think scholarships for high-school hams to help a bit with college might be a fitting thing to do.

This is what the Foundation for Amateur Radio (FAR) does. FAR was long the sponsor of the now defunct (or so it seems) Gaithersburg hamfest.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »

This kind of sums it up...

http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/523368/jokeid/119052

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »

Who is Ray Stevens???

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:39 PM »

Who is Ray Stevens???

You aren't serious, are you?
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »

This is so amazing I can hardly believe it!!!  I attended a very small flea market in NH on Saturday.  Many of the tables were empty.  Those that had "stuff" on them were most uninteresting.  I took a table and had tickets and vehicular passes available for NEAR-Fest.

Business was brisk and I saw a lot of happy faces at the prospect of going back to Deerfield.

When I got home and counted the loot there was $1,100.00!!!!!

It gets better!

My buddy went to Framingham MA the following day to sell tickets and passes.  Many of the folks there were at the NH flea the day before.  Nonetheless he brought home $840.00! 

That's almost TWO GRAND in as many days.

I am still in shock.

MrMike, W1RC

WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!!!!!

WA1HZK

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 06:24:35 PM »

Where's the site link for pointing people to?

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »

If you still need to raise money then why not invite a certain person who "runs a net on 75 meters" and set him up with a dunk tank. You would make a fortune.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »

The real test is to see how many sellers show up. Nothing turns buyers off to a hamfest, in my opinion, is finding only a handful of sellers selling electronic junk, lawn ornaments, and used computer parts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 06:14:07 AM »

If you still need to raise money then why not invite a certain person who "runs a net on 75 meters" and set him up with a dunk tank. You would make a fortune.

Grin Grin Grin.A dunk tank full of pissoline..............

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2007, 10:18:48 AM »

in my opinion, is finding only a handful of sellers selling electronic junk, lawn ornaments, and used computer parts.

You sir, are welcome to your opinion. However I have gotten some of my favorite electronic junk, lawn ornaments, and used computer parts. at hamfests !

Seriously, I agree with you Pete

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »

Yep, I've found some good 'non-radio' things on tables too, like the rounds counter out of a WWII fighter aircraft. Gave it to an ex-gf, never again to be seen.  Roll Eyes

I wrote up a seller's policy for Mike about this very thing a few weeks ago, basically saying that we don't want to be table nazis or such, but we discourage sellers whose wares are non-radio. There's a lot of latitude, but it's meant to keep away the jewelry, lawn ornament, junk sellers. He told me it will be included in a handout at the gate, hopefully he will post it as well since 'at the gate' is a bit late for someone who has traveled 100 miles to sell Ginsu knives....

Selling computer items on your table is fine, bringing a truckload of old computer junk you can't get rid of, to leave for NEAR-Fest to dispose of, is not fine. We'll see how it goes.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2007, 10:41:14 AM »

Thatz half the fun of hamfests!! You never know what kind szht someone will try to sell! If nothing else itz always good for a giggle.
There was one well known tailgater in the Baltimore area that had a bathroom sink (we used to tease him about the proverbial "kitchen sink") and a "thighmaster" for sale!! I actually bought 2 good slightly used tv's from him, and someone else bought the thighmaster! Never bought any lawn ornaments though.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »

I literally bought a "boat anchor" at Hosstraders one time. A real nice heavy Danforth with a good hunk of chain. I have a pic at home I will have to post later.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »

Back 15 years ago or so, I remember advising my two son's not to accept any "Free" heavy gifts!  It used to be a way some folks got rid of there BA's. Boy how times have changed!  Shocked

Steve - W1TAV

Steve - W1TAV
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2007, 07:48:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure that you all know about the NEAR-Fest Web site and forum, but just in case....

www.near-fest.com

MrMike
W1RC

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015