The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:52:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No code generals and AM  (Read 23232 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: February 26, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »

for what it is worth This weekend I heard 2 new upgraded general calls on AM! Ohe was KB1IGN and KE5ERI. one was running a very good sounding ricebox, and the other was running a Collins 20V3.
This bay be the start of a new "renissance of AM". One of them said that he has listened to us for many years but was kept away by the code requirements.  Ya never know, something good may well come out of this!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »

Imagine coming into this place from scratch with a 20V2, now that's Rocket Radio
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:05:46 PM »

how about an incentive, to learn the code. The obvious one would be
to join the ranks of yesteryear hams. you get an extra-plus certificate
if you pass the code. no more privs, but the honor of joining us old
general, extra folks ? eh, oh well probably would get shot down, but a thought.

am forever!
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:20:34 AM »

hey Frank- was that cool or what? Saturday night the guy breaking in all nervous like his first QSO and then saying he was on a 20V! so much for the hordes of freebanders taking over 75 theory some have...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:37:24 AM »

hey Frank- was that cool or what? Saturday night the guy breaking in all nervous like his first QSO and then saying he was on a 20V! so much for the hordes of freebanders taking over 75 theory some have...

I haven't noticed any increase in overall activity on the phone bands.  In fact, I haven't heard a single "/AG" or "/AE" yet, not even on 28.3-28.5.

The floodgates are open.

But where is the flood?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:52:57 AM »

I haven't noticed any increase in overall activity on the phone bands.  In fact, I haven't heard a single "/AG" or "/AE" yet, not even on 28.3-28.5.

The floodgates are open.

But where is the flood?

Just tune around 75 meters ... sideband.  I've heard at least 8 /AG's since Saturday, but unfortunately all the ones I've heard so far have been trying to cosy up to those sideband groups that squat on the same frequency, day after day.   Sad   Hopefully they'll get bored with that nonsense soon.  I don't think that removal of the code requirement will produce many new Extras though.

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »

Just tune around 75 meters ... sideband.  I've heard at least 8 /AG's since Saturday, but unfortunately all the ones I've heard so far have been trying to cosy up to those sideband groups that squat on the same frequency, day after day.

I wish them luck.  Most of those "slopbucket groups" are rude and nasty to non-members, even to those of the same age and years of experience on the air.  If the newbie slopbucketeers succeed in joining those groups, that means they'll be hanging out on the squatters' bought-and-paid-for frequencies and not trashing up additional band space with SSB.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
n3lrx
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:31:07 AM »

I've heard a couple /AG's but not many as I don't often sweep through the slop bucketeers domain. I have heard one /AG on AM the other night. The call eludes me it may be one of the same guys mentioned here. I'll bet the Slop Bucket clicks will be a big disappointment tho. Many of them who have been SWLing them will surely find how many of them are snobs and not at all the friendly gang they appear to be on the outside. Hopefully most of the AMers will do the exact opposite and welcome them as long as they act responsibly.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:33 AM »

There's quite a number of young guys over on Hamsexy trying out HF for the first time.  One was already disgusted with the behavior of the 3950 slobucket group  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »

That guy definately sounded a bit "mike shy" and awkward, but it didnt take long for him to loosen up. He had a pretty good signal from 5-land. I was listening back and forth between both qso's. The other guy from 1 land basically acted like he knew us all. He had been swling us for years. It was good to have him join us.

If we make any attempt to be friendly to those new guys, I think they will prolly find the AM groups more attractive than the "hostile slopbucket" nets.
Here is the fruit ripe for the picking!! Be friendly to the new guys and it could very well stare a new renissance of AMers!!

I was looking through my logs (when I used to keep one) from years ago. Many of the people that used to always show up are no longer active (at least on AM). Our numbers are dwindling slowly, now is the time to replenish the troops, take advantage of it.

After all what sucked me into AM was not just the mode, but the people as well!! Wouldnt you rather hang out with a bunch of friendly people instead of a bunch of beligerant sphincters!!

The Slab Bacon

K1MVP
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »

The floodgates are open.

But where is the flood?

"where is the flood",--

Don,--As I mentioned before,--It will take more than a couple of days or
a week to know the "full impact" of the no code license,IMO.
Give it AT LEAST 6 months to a year, AND THEN we will see what the
results will be.

As far as learning cw,--most will not IMO, as what incentive is there,
after getting phone privileges "handed" to them?
I know many think CW is "archaic", but might not many think that AM is also archaic?

Wait until propagation improves, and we just might see many who want
to "shoot dx",--freebanders included.

73, K1MVP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »

dont forget that one BIG thing that seporates us from "freebanders" and other "scofflaw" radio users is a callsign!! With that in mind we are not simply an annonymous voice behind a microphone. With that in mind and all of the callsign databases around it is pretty easy to find out who someone is. This should help prevent some of that crap.

Without a callsign  no one will talk to you! Its that simple.

With a little careful elmering from the "group elders" the newcomers could actually become quite an asset to the hobby. Many of these people will be very to be part of the hobby. Many have felt that they just couldnt learn code and stayed away. These people will be very proud to have a callsign (like my dyslexic wife).

the opportunists and other naredewills will eventually fall to the wayside and loose interest. But how many 20wpm extras have done the same? Quite a few!!

You have to take the good with the bad, amd I'm sure we will have an influx of goofballs as well as good people. This is inevitable, but sooner or later the goofballs will fade away and leave the good ones to go on and become an asset to our numbers. This has been the case with code proficient operators as well. It is up to us to do whatever we can to shape the final outcome!!

the Slab Bacon 

N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:32 AM »

I personally don’t think there will be a flood, but that is just my opinion.

What drove me to get my General was to be able to get on 75 meters with you guys and all these wonderful sounding AM plate modulated rigs, as they would say  go play with the big dog’s cmon. 

I finally went to 3885 on Saturday for the first official key down with the Valiant being legal and try to get some air time and wouldn’t you know it the VFO decided it wanted to start drifting all over the place, so I didn’t get to talk at all, just sat their like a bump on a log and listened again.

I tore into it on Sunday and found the 6au6 bit the dust in the VFO section, so I figured since I had it apart I would go through and check all the tubes again and found a loose cap on one of the 6146’s so I ordered three from RF parts yesterday to get it up and running for this weekend.  So hopefully I will get to make some contacts finally with you guys provided the radio gods let me.

So if by chance you hear me with my AG sign don’t be scared, I don’t bite lol.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »

I personally don’t think there will be a flood, but that is just my opinion.

What drove me to get my General was to be able to get on 75 meters with you guys and all these wonderful sounding AM plate modulated rigs, as they would say  go play with the big dog’s cmon. 

I finally went to 3885 on Saturday for the first official key down with the Valiant being legal and try to get some air time and wouldn’t you know it the VFO decided it wanted to start drifting all over the place, so I didn’t get to talk at all, just sat their like a bump on a log and listened again.

I tore into it on Sunday and found the 6au6 bit the dust in the VFO section, so I figured since I had it apart I would go through and check all the tubes again and found a loose cap on one of the 6146’s so I ordered three from RF parts yesterday to get it up and running for this weekend.  So hopefully I will get to make some contacts finally with you guys provided the radio gods let me.

So if by chance you hear me with my AG sign don’t be scared, I don’t bite lol.
Richard

Richard,
           while you're into the VFO, be sure to change out the Chernobyl resistor while you're in there. Be sure tio use something with a lot higher wattage rating. this will save you some grief further down the road!!

the Slab Bacon

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »

Everybody needs to be promoting AM use at this time.

The SK list of AMers has grown at a frightening and accelerating rate for 20+ years now.

It's either attract new users or join the dinosaurs.

AMEN BRROTHER!!!!

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »

The SK list of AMers has grown at a frightening and accelerating rate for 20+ years now.

Since the initial first few days of the band expansion, it has been increasingly more difficult every day to get an AM contact in the extra class 75/80m phone segment, or for that matter, even in the advanced class segment.

A couple of "dead-air" groups are already trying to stake out their claims in the vicinity of 3685, and griping about the presence of AM in that part of the band.  I don't think it would be in our best interest to attempt to start a new "AM window" on that exact frequency, but if we don't continue to occupy various spots in the extra class segment on a regular basis, it is going to become increasingly difficult to fire up down there without having to fight some belligerent slopbucket group over the right to transmit near "their" frequency, whether they are actually using it or not.

- - -
WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »

I just sent this to a couple of general interest ham radio websites that have "News" sections.  If anyone wants to grab this and send it to general interest reflectors, please feel free.

Invitation to New "Shortwave" Hams

by Paul Courson WA3VJB

The AM Community on the shortwave ham bands is rolling out the red carpet in response to the FCC's decision to discontinue the Morse code license test in the Amateur Service. Vintage radio hobbyists running Amplitude Modulation have long provided a means of introducing casual shortwave listeners and others into the hobby by virtue of their easy-to-tune signals.

Ease of operating on AM is part of today's allure to the newcomer arriving on the high frequency bands, especially 160, 75 and 40 meters.  Vintage radio gear is typically constructed of point-to-point wiring on a large chassis that is easy to service. Vacuum tube technology is well documented and simple in comparison to what's inside contemporary transceivers. This encourages the newcomer to explore how the rig works.

On the air, the relaxed, storytelling nature of the typical AM conversation is also a welcoming environment for someone not yet known by a group they may encounter on the bands. The pace of the conversation is more thoughtful than what's often found among other modes and activities. The revival in AM the past 10-15 years has meant lots of newcomers, so you will be jumping on a train that's already rolling.

One of the premier AM websites to provide a more elaborate overview is http://amfone.net where more than a thousand people have signed up to participate.

Hope to hear you on the airwaves soon !

Paul/VJB
Annapolis

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »

for what it is worth This weekend I heard 2 new upgraded general calls on AM! Ohe was KB1IGN and KE5ERI. one was running a very good sounding ricebox, and the other was running a Collins 20V3.
This bay be the start of a new "renissance of AM". One of them said that he has listened to us for many years but was kept away by the code requirements.  Ya never know, something good may well come out of this!!

The Slab Bacon
KB1IGN Is a homeboy! Im gonna havta look him up. Ive been sick and working long hours as of late so I have not been on but I have heard him on the bedside receiver. I have heard quite a few /AGs and keeping them from the darkside (certain nets) may be a chore but AM is what attracted me to radio and once they get a taste of it,and are treated with a bit of respect, they will cqme. In my opinion the nicest ops around run AM.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »

Don you will be thrilled to know that last night when I didn't find anyone I tuned to 3.892 to listen to the garbage collectors for a while.  A new /AG joined them and started right in.  They welcomed him with open arms.

Day before yesterday, Brian.W5AMI and I were down in the Advanced section in QSO when a /AG joined right in with us.  We gently remined him to check the band segements where he was licensed to operate.  He was very embarassed and thanked us before he left.
n3lrx
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Good work as always Paul..

I blasted it out on a few MySpace Ham Groups..
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »

Richard,
           while you're into the VFO, be sure to change out the Chernobyl resistor while you're in there. Be sure to use something with a lot higher wattage rating. this will save you some grief further down the road!!

the Slab Bacon

Slab,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take care of that while it is still in pieces.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
k7yoo

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »

I had the pleasure of working KE5ERI and his W0VMC built 20V. He was a bit shy but soon got into it. I might mention that I believe he is an Extra, not a general. I think his Rx is an R390A
Top notch stuff that can keep the riff-raff at bay!!!
I realize it is pretty easy for folks to get an elitist attitude and become impatient with newcomers but his operating was certainly better than my fumbling around way back when. I think 'ol Robert mighta been coaching a little--just my hunch.
Skip Wink
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 07:02:39 PM »

"elitist attitude and become impatient with newcomers "      Very well said...

" we were once young , playing with toys "        sung by Huh

****hint***  we handle this                    klc

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 04:47:11 AM »

when I didn't find anyone I tuned to 3.892

This makes me wonder whether we ought to make a few recruitment excursions through the 3900s, having AM QSOs among us and getting ourselves "discovered" by people we could welcome and invite toward our usual haunts.

And to this website.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

But if we do get a tsunami of newcomers to HF, I'm afraid things will never be the same if this is typical.

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3309c84ed27577c13966b7696534f0f6;act=ST;f=7;t=148170

- - -
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015